Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Eric M Russell - Saturday, June 24, 2017 8:24 PM

So, did anyone else have a strangely intense dream recently about being, outside looking up at the night sky, and then a constellation of stars coalesce into a UFO that lands nearby?

No not yet.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Ed Wagner - Friday, June 23, 2017 12:22 PM

I don't get it either.  I meant it as a compliment to Phil, but it somehow was a distraction to the OP.  I read it a could more times to make sure I wasn't off my rocker (I know...separate issue πŸ˜›) and I didn't see the problem with it.  I appreciate the feedback here because it lets me know the post wasn't seen as weird by others.  Thank you for it.

+1000
    You are certainly more restrained than me, I would have taken it as an insult :angry:
    As is the norm on this forum, threads never stay on track for long :hehe:
    Kudos to you Ed πŸ˜€

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

So, did anyone else have a strangely intense dream recently about being, outside looking up at the night sky, and then a constellation of stars coalesce into a UFO that lands nearby?

Duudddee, and then the aliens that come out of the UFO all look like Freddy Mercury with a unicorn horn coming out of his forehead and wearing Tom Cruise's flight suit from Top Gun?
    :alien::smooooth:

No, havent' had that one.

• Sergiy - Saturday, June 24, 2017 3:53 PM

Hi Steve,Does anybody look into Safari issues?It appears pretty much nothing works when I'm trying to post from my iPad - no quoting, no formatting, no IFC.

I'm not sure if Safari is on our list. We use this (InstantForum) and they list Safari. I'll ask

• What does it say that when I see a response written to a topic by certain people, I hop in to see what's going on and what the reply is?

The "pentagon of must reads" is (in no particular order, so no one take offense, please:)
    Jeff Moden
    Steve Jones
    Gail
    Lynne P
    Brandie T

• jasona.work - Monday, June 26, 2017 6:59 AM

Eric M Russell - Saturday, June 24, 2017 8:24 PM

Duudddee, and then the aliens that come out of the UFO all look like Freddy Mercury with a unicorn horn coming out of his forehead and wearing Tom Cruise's flight suit from Top Gun?

I never got to that part; I ran inside and hid in a back room cradling a deer rifle, and then the alarm clock went off. It's the 2nd time I had the same dream. Maybe next time I'll screw up enough courage to walk up and say hello to whomever or whatever emerges from the ship.  :unsure:

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• jasona.work - Monday, June 26, 2017 12:25 PM

What does it say that when I see a response written to a topic by certain people, I hop in to see what's going on and what the reply is?

yep... I often do the same thing, always trying to learn πŸ™‚

• Eric M Russell - Monday, June 26, 2017 1:53 PM

jasona.work - Monday, June 26, 2017 6:59 AM

I never got to that part; I ran inside and hid in a back room cradling a deer rifle, and then the alarm clock went off. It's the 2nd time I had the same dream. Maybe next time I'll screw up enough courage to walk up and say hello to whomever or whatever emerges from the ship.  :unsure:

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• jasona.work - Monday, June 26, 2017 12:25 PM

What does it say that when I see a response written to a topic by certain people, I hop in to see what's going on and what the reply is?

The "pentagon of must reads" is (in no particular order, so no one take offense, please:)
    Jeff Moden
    Steve Jones
    Gail
    Lynne P
    Brandie T

All I can say is that I'm seriously humbled to be included on any such list, especially one with those folks on it.

I have a similar list but it's way too long to post because of the quality of a ton of people on this site.  There are a lot of sites with some really good heavy hitters but, IMHO, SSC has a higher count than all the other websites combined.  Thanks for letting me be a part of it all.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Sergiy - Saturday, June 24, 2017 9:07 PM

Jeff, ok, not mellow.But really - are 2 cups of coffe enough for you to stop hating this world???Wow...

Heh... hell no.  2 cups of coffee just keeps me from killing things on the spot. πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

Crud.  Sorry.  Didn't mean for you to see me.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Sean Lange - Monday, June 26, 2017 2:25 PM

Eric M Russell - Monday, June 26, 2017 1:53 PM

Not sure who photoshopped that picture of me in the morning... they got it all wrong... I never smile before noon.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Monday, June 26, 2017 6:47 PM

Sean Lange - Monday, June 26, 2017 2:25 PM

Eric M Russell - Monday, June 26, 2017 1:53 PM

Not sure who photoshopped that picture of me in the morning... they got it all wrong... I never smile before noon.

The photographer must have caught you in the moment when you saw the coffee filling up your cup.

• Jeff Moden - Monday, June 26, 2017 6:41 PM

Sergiy - Saturday, June 24, 2017 9:07 PM

Jeff, ok, not mellow.But really - are 2 cups of coffe enough for you to stop hating this world???Wow...

Heh... hell no.  2 cups of coffee just keeps me from killing things on the spot. πŸ˜‰

Somebody must consider cutting off supply of coffee to your workplace.
    Temporarily of course.
    Must help a lot with reducing emissions. All sorts.

• Sergiy - Monday, June 26, 2017 11:22 PM

Jeff Moden - Monday, June 26, 2017 6:41 PM

Sergiy - Saturday, June 24, 2017 9:07 PM

Somebody must consider cutting off supply of coffee to your workplace.
    Temporarily of course.
    Must help a lot with reducing emissions. All sorts.

Could it be done while he's in Mexico City? :hehe:

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Viewing 15 posts - 59,026 through 59,040 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply