Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Sean Lange - Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:05 AM

It seems that today the comments left by Luis and myself have been removed. I suspect that means the "blogger" is still active and has access since the comments were removed. I tried to add a new one today but they also seem to have removed the captcha so you can't complete it to post new comments. I suspect that whole blog will be disappearing in the somewhat near future.

I'm still able to see the 3 comments on the post.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • GilaMonster - Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:22 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:16 AM

Sigh. So my morning starts off with a Dev asking me to move code that includes some interesting data type definitions... FLOAT (without scale and precision)

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I've ever used FLOAT with its precision (it doesn't have a scale). I just let it be the default (which is FLOAT(53))

The varchar lengths look odd.

I've sometimes written FLOAT(24) instead of REAL (after all, REAL isn't standard, thanks to the stupidity of the Mr Celko and his colleagues on the innumerate and ignorant committees that standardised SQL).  But not often.  
    And the VARCHAR length with leading 0 do look odd.

Tom

• jasona.work - Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:26 AM

Lynn Pettis - Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:14 AM

OMG, why does this date not sort to the top of my sub-query when the date is excluded based on the where clause?  How do I get it to sort to the top?

ARG!!!

Hey, while you're in a good mood, I need a query that can sort this table I have based on 8 different fields and it also needs to convert the text representation of some fields to the appropriate numeric values?  And I can't provide any sample data because this is my homework.
    And while you're at it, I'm, ah, going to need you to come in Saturday too, mmm'kay?
    That would be, um, great...
    Yeah.

Sure, you want that yesterday? 😛 😀 :w00t: :Whistling:

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:44 AM

jasona.work - Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:26 AM

OMG, why does this date not sort to the top of my sub-query when the date is excluded based on the where clause?  How do I get it to sort to the top?

ARG!!!

Hey, while you're in a good mood, I need a query that can sort this table I have based on 8 different fields and it also needs to convert the text representation of some fields to the appropriate numeric values?  And I can't provide any sample data because this is my homework.
    And while you're at it, I'm, ah, going to need you to come in Saturday too, mmm'kay?
    Yeah.

Nah, 2:00pm today would be good.
    (As Lynn looks me up in the GAL and proceeds to spam me from a throw-away GMail account)

• jasona.work - Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:55 AM

Lynn Pettis - Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:44 AM

ARG!!!

Yeah.

Nah, 2:00pm today would be good.
    (As Lynn looks me up in the GAL and proceeds to spam me from a throw-away GMail account)

When you're done with that, I could do with some help on a script that I'm working on, it adds ; to the start of all my T-SQL statements.
    :w00t:

• Sean Lange - Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:11 AM

If they are doing this in the EU, someone whould make a formal complaint to the data protection authority for their country - and that will result in a rather massive penalty for Samsung.  THis sort of thing is tgotally unacceptable, and on this side of the pond it's also totally illegal.

Tom

• Gazareth - Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:56 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:17 AM

Sean Lange - Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:11 AM

That is bad.

In my experience, it's a pretty wide-spread problem with shipping companies/order tracking.
    Often (including in this case) you can also easily view any order you like just by changing the # in the URL (and as we all know, that way SQL Injection lies...).

Wonder where the legal liability falls here? It's the shipping company that's exposing the data, but Samsung should have at least a moral obligation to ensure partner companies sufficiently protect their customers' data.

A company I worked for in the past used track and trace links based on the order number (a sequential number) in plain text. I offered to help them change this to a long hash code derived from the order number, cusstomer number, and a random salt stored in our customer table. They thought it was too expensive and instead simply added the customer number to the link. Although a random change now no longer automatically exposes protected info, it is still incredibly easy to brute-force a leak.
    (I am not naming the company because I don't know if this issue is fixed by now. I hope it is, and I think it is, but I am not sure)

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• jasona.work - Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:26 AM

ARG!!!

Yeah.

Before you answer Jason I need your help in defining the kinds of these 'JOIN' things and I need it quick because it's for an interview and I'm stalling until I can find an answer. I really want this senior database developer job!

• JustMarie - Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:53 PM

ARG!!!

Yeah.

Before you answer Jason I need your help in defining the kinds of these 'JOIN' things and I need it quick because it's for an interview and I'm stalling until I can find an answer. I really want this senior database developer job!

You see, when two tables love each other very much, they JOIN together to make lots of little records that are made up of parts of each of the tables.

ARG!!!

Yeah.

I will get right on that...
    Now where is my Crown Royal, oh yea, at home.  Hey it is 5 o'clock somewhere!

there was a database joke I read somewhere...
    a query walks into a bar, goes up to two tables and says "mind if I join you?"

• Chris Harshman - Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:36 PM

JustMarie - Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:53 PM

there was a database joke I read somewhere...
    a query walks into a bar, goes up to two tables and says "mind if I join you?"

You know, they say three is a crowd.

• I know what I write isn't always grammatically correct here in the forums, but in more formal settings, like blog posts, articles, reports, etc. I find even simple grammatical errors an issue.  Does anyone else ever feel this way when reading these types of written communication?

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:59 PM

I know what I write isn't always grammatically correct here in the forums, but in more formal settings, like blog posts, articles, reports, etc. I find even simple grammatical errors an issue.  Does anyone else ever feel this way when reading these types of written communication?

Yes. It drives me nuts when I read stuff in more formal settings that are poorly written.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:59 PM

I know what I write isn't always grammatically correct here in the forums, but in more formal settings, like blog posts, articles, reports, etc. I find even simple grammatical errors an issue.  Does anyone else ever feel this way when reading these types of written communication?

I'm right there with you. Given that we have so much choice about how we choose to spend our time, I use whatever filters I can to narrow down what I read and watch.
    No matter how good the subject matter, I find poor grammar and spelling very distracting.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 15 posts - 57,766 through 57,780 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply