Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Sean Lange - Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:10 PM

Lynn Pettis - Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:59 PM

I know what I write isn't always grammatically correct here in the forums, but in more formal settings, like blog posts, articles, reports, etc. I find even simple grammatical errors an issue.  Does anyone else ever feel this way when reading these types of written communication?

Yes. It drives me nuts when I read stuff in more formal settings that are poorly written.

I guess I shouldn't write any more articles. 😀
    Seriously, it depends on the type of errors. I wouldn't be able to detect some grammar errors, but some are proof of poor attention to details. I've seen technical articles of so-called experts referring to Store Procedures.:crazy:

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares - Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:16 PM

Sean Lange - Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:10 PM

I know what I write isn't always grammatically correct here in the forums, but in more formal settings, like blog posts, articles, reports, etc. I find even simple grammatical errors an issue.  Does anyone else ever feel this way when reading these types of written communication?

Yes. It drives me nuts when I read stuff in more formal settings that are poorly written.

Seriously, it depends on the type of errors. I wouldn't be able to detect some grammar errors, but some are proof of poor attention to details. I've seen technical articles of so-called experts referring to Store Procedures.:crazy:

If you know that your written English isn't that good, but you have some good material to get out there, there are plenty of people who would be willing to take a look, if you ask them nicely. My English is good, but I would still ask someone else to proofread anything I was considering publishing.

Some people just don't care that much and, perhaps, therefore assume that others won't care that much either. I've come across this attitude many times: oh, stop being picky, it's obvious what I meant! Etc. Especially in the field that we are in, we are inclined to read things exactly how they are written.

--Edit: this comment was not directed at you!

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Keep writing Luis, my grammar filter isn't that active here on ssc.  I know we have people for whom English is not their first language so everyone gets a pass, except for me.  I hate it when I find minor grammatical errors in some of the things I write, even forum posts.  When I find them I think I look stupid (and I know I am not) and it seems to be getting more critical as I get older, not sure why.

• I find that I give an author some leeway if English isn't his first language.  (Ferrari & Russo's stuff is a prime example - their English is quirky, but understandable).  If a native speaker can't use proper grammar and punctuation, it would get old fast. Technical content is generally a challenge for me to understand sometimes, and bad grammar and punctuation makes it worse, which bugs me.

Granted, my mother and grandmother were both English teachers, so I am probably a bit biased.  =)

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:57 PM

Chris Harshman - Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:36 PM

JustMarie - Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:53 PM

Before you answer Jason I need your help in defining the kinds of these 'JOIN' things and I need it quick because it's for an interview and I'm stalling until I can find an answer. I really want this senior database developer job!

there was a database joke I read somewhere...
    a query walks into a bar, goes up to two tables and says "mind if I join you?"

You know, they say three is a crowd.

The performance problems of triangular joins 😀
    😎

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:17 AM

I am actually thinking SS is different people.  Person is getting snarky now, that isn't normal.

I've suspected that for a long time. Back in the early days of my membership of SSC that account used to post some really interesting and knowledgeable replies. I know - hard to believe.
    One day I saw a question from that account that surprised me, because I thought it was far too basic for that person, based upon what I had read for some time. Ever since then it has been as we now expect.
    The syntax changed considerably too, which led me to believe somebody else was using the account.

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:59 PM

My error rate has certainly increased - new glasses. I now need need two pairs, so opted for varifocals.
    If I look up I can see the tyre tracks of the lunar lander before it was parked up. If I look down I can see the skin pores on the back of my hand.

Keyboard and monitor? Not so good.

I'll give it another week to get used to them, before auto-correct decides it has had enough.

• David Burrows - Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:17 AM

Beatrix Kiddo - Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:30 AM

David Burrows - Wednesday, March 15, 2017 10:19 AM

Beatrix Kiddo - Wednesday, March 15, 2017 8:14 AM

In other news, does anybody know a workaround to the issue of not being able to query otherFacsimileTelephoneNumber from AD through a linked server in SQL Server? I can get loads of other attributes (surname, department, job title etc) but unfortunately not this one (and Googling suggests there's probably no way round). It doesn't sound very important in 2017 I realise, but my company stores a different value in that field and I need to get it out.

Thanks.

Here's the error message:

Msg 7346, Level 16, State 2, Line 2

Cannot get the data of the row from the OLE DB provider "ADSDSOObject" for linked server "xxxxxx". Could not convert the data value due to reasons other than sign mismatch or overflow.

We do not populate that field so my query just returns nulls.
    I suspect you may have a container with data that is incompatible.
    I suggest you run the query without that field and then with, to find the container causing the problem and get someone to find out what is in the field in AD, which may give you the cause of the error.

Thank you. I've checked the contents of AD and it's just a simple 5 digit code in that field. I suspect I'm not going to have any luck with this one, because I see a few references online to it being a known issue.

With scripts I've taken from the internet, I tend to add a commented-out line stating who wrote it/where I found it.

After further research I don't think you can access that attribute as it is multi value which the driver cannot handle

Thanks, David. That confirms what I thought.

Something like that might bug me, but I can understand why it can happen.  It's not like a misspelled word that would be highlighted in some way by a word processor and when the author and presumably others are proof reading the article, they quite likely could just add the missing "d" as they read past without thinking about it.

As for bad and broken English, both here and on blog postings, again as Lynn said, there's a lot of people posting for whom English isn't their first (or even second) language.

Now me, I can't stand mentally lazy requests, the "give me the answer and I don't care to know how it works" sort of things.

• BrainDonor - Friday, March 17, 2017 2:40 AM

Lynn Pettis - Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:17 AM

I am actually thinking SS is different people.  Person is getting snarky now, that isn't normal.

I've suspected that for a long time. Back in the early days of my membership of SSC that account used to post some really interesting and knowledgeable replies. I know - hard to believe.
    One day I saw a question from that account that surprised me, because I thought it was far too basic for that person, based upon what I had read for some time. Ever since then it has been as we now expect.
    The syntax changed considerably too, which led me to believe somebody else was using the account.

Definitely.  The different use of language, level of knowledge and willingness to try has changed several times over the years.

Absolutely do not quit Luis!!! Your articles are great. And if you want a native English speaker as proof-reader I am available. And as Lynn said on this site I have a lot more flexibility because there are so many languages as native tongues around here. The ones that get me are the ones that use sloppy and lazy writing styles.

I also agree with Lynn that I am far critical of my own than others. This is probably why I have never published anything. I know that on forum posts that my typing doesn't always keep up with my brain and I skip typing words here and there which makes things harder to read.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• I'm not even going to try and defend my English. I live in England, always have, and English is my only language. I, however, know all to well that I rarely proof read my posts, or my brain engages the wrong word, like their, there, or they're. My fingers especially like to auto type you're instead of your. >_<

I know how to use them, I honestly just seem to not think about it until I read my post 5 minutes later, after someone has read and replied to it, and think "Oh god, what did I just write?!".

I did, however, proof read this post before posting, so if I've written something silly here, I really do look stupid. :hehe:

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Friday, March 17, 2017 8:10 AM

I'm not even going to try and defend my English. I live in England, always have, and English is my only language. I, however, know all to well that I rarely proof read my posts, or my brain engages the wrong word, like their, there, or they're. My fingers especially like to auto type you're instead of your. >_<

I know how to use them, I honestly just seem to not think about it until I read my post 5 minutes later, after someone has read and replied to it, and think "Oh god, what did I just write?!".

I did, however, proof read this post before posting, so if I've written something silly here, I really do look stupid. :hehe:

Should be all too well ;).

• I'm just going to run away now.

• Man, this discussion of proper grammar makes me want to run my next post through an "English to Engrish" translator...
    :hehe:

Viewing 15 posts - 57,781 through 57,795 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply