Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden (12/7/2016)

This Saturday, 12/10, marks the anniversary ...

A year already? When searching for SQL answers I still get hits on his articles. It does make me pause for a moment.

A thoroughly nice person who I do miss hearing from.

• In Orlando this week for Live360. Leaving this afternoon, and it's 18F at home. Didn't bring a coat, and couldn't wear a long sleeve this morning since it's a 80F mile walk from the hotel to the convention center.

At least I have a hat for the trip to my car in Denver.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/7/2016)

In Orlando this week for Live360. Leaving this afternoon, and it's 18F at home. Didn't bring a coat, and couldn't wear a long sleeve this morning since it's a 80F mile walk from the hotel to the convention center.

At least I have a hat for the trip to my car in Denver.

Who cares if the extremities freeze off? At least the top of the head is covered.

Hope you have someone meeting you at the airport with a coat.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Jeff Moden (12/7/2016)

...Here's to you, Dwain. May your work and our memories of you last forever. You were a great man and a thoughtful and humble human...

For many years I've considered myself a student of people like you and Dwain, and I'm sure his works will continue to inspire and teach many people for years to come.

• rodjkidd (12/7/2016)

Eirikur,

I'm about a 20 minute walk to the High Holborn Caffe 1882. Let me know if you still want to meet up today?

Chris, are you about?

Rodders...

Oh poo. Sorry I missed it - didn't get home until midday yesterday.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Jeff Moden (12/7/2016)

This Saturday, 12/10, marks the anniversary of a very unhappy event for me. It's the day that Dwain Camps fell to cancer. Dwain was a remarkable author and, although I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, was an incredible long distance friend that I conversed with often. He had an incredible mind. He went from being a virtual neophyte at T-SQL to being a world recognized SQL Ninja virtually overnight.

Here's to you, Dwain. May your work and our memories of you last forever. You were a great man and a thoughtful and humble human. I miss you terribly. I hope there are fish at least as big as the one in your avatar where you're at now.

Dwain Camps - one of a kind, taken from us too soon.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• <Contented sigh>Two weeks ago I ran a load test comparing SQL Server 2014 and 2016 with a real load from our production systems. 2016 ran 50% slower than 2014 on the same hardware. I went through all the configuration settings to make sure everything was setup the same and that all the new performance improvements in 2016 were turned on. Nothing helped. After playing with every setting I could think of that might make a difference, profiling queries to look for regressing plans, and digging through all the metrics and logging I could find, I finally nailed it I think. SQL 2016 and Windows were fighting over RAM. Every time Windows set the "low memory" flag, the plan cache took the brunt of the reduction in memory resulting in a spike in CPU overhead as plans were rebuilt.

Just had to share with the watercooler, it's lifted a burden that's hung over me for the last 2 weeks and I'm on a high now. Party at the TITD tonight! 😎

Chad

• Doing some code cleanup today, running into lots of this

insert into <someTable>

select <a bunch of stuff>

from <SomeOtherTable>

where <some column> is not null

order by 2, 1;

I guess you can't just go inserting data in any ol' order.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Jeff Moden (12/7/2016)

This Saturday, 12/10, marks the anniversary of a very unhappy event for me...

Ditto.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Alan.B (12/8/2016)

Jeff Moden (12/7/2016)

This Saturday, 12/10, marks the anniversary of a very unhappy event for me...

Ditto.

I can't help feeling sad when I remember this. I never met him in person either, but he was certainly one of the greats.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • RIP, Mr Camps from last year,

RIP, Mr Glenn, today

• Chris Harshman (12/7/2016)

Jeff Moden (12/7/2016)

...Here's to you, Dwain. May your work and our memories of you last forever. You were a great man and a thoughtful and humble human...

For many years I've considered myself a student of people like you and Dwain, and I'm sure his works will continue to inspire and teach many people for years to come.

Seconded.

It's been a crap 12 months for losing people I've admired or known.

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• ChrisM@Work (12/8/2016)

rodjkidd (12/7/2016)

Eirikur,

I'm about a 20 minute walk to the High Holborn Caffe 1882. Let me know if you still want to meet up today?

Chris, are you about?

Rodders...

And i've only just caught up with this... Oops

Next time Chris!

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (12/9/2016)

ChrisM@Work (12/8/2016)

rodjkidd (12/7/2016)

Eirikur,

Chris, are you about?

Rodders...

Next time Chris!

Rodders...

You guys need to exchange phone numbers. Text messages have far quicker notifications than The Thread. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (12/9/2016)

rodjkidd (12/9/2016)

ChrisM@Work (12/8/2016)

rodjkidd (12/7/2016)

Eirikur,

Chris, are you about?

Rodders...

Next time Chris!

Rodders...

You guys need to exchange phone numbers. Text messages have far quicker notifications than The Thread. @=)

Oh Brandie that would be far too sensible!

Viewing 15 posts - 56,866 through 56,880 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply