Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

Some people should not be allowed any where near a database server.

So, if the server is in a locked room, that I don't have access to, on the other side of the building, then I should be OK just using SSMS and RDP, right?

😀

• jasona.work (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

So, if the server is in a locked room, that I don't have access to, on the other side of the building, then I should be OK just using SSMS and RDP, right?

😀

Only way I have access to any of the database servers I have worked with for the last 10+ years.

• Someone needs to find out what company the poster works for and put it on a list of places NEVER to work at no matter what they pay you. If they truly expect a non-DBA tech to manage system DBs on a cluster.....?

• Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

jasona.work (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

😀

Only way I have access to any of the database servers I have worked with for the last 10+ years.

Me too.

• Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

jasona.work (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

😀

But is that "near" the server?

Of course, this is thinking about physical nearness, I suppose we could be discussing logical nearness, in which case the person in question should be shot out of a cannon...

Into the sun...

(And for the topic that launched this, well, several people need to be loaded into said cannon...)

• Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

Luis Cazares (5/3/2016)

Ed Wagner (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

+1000

I guess I'll agree with your agreement with yourself. 😛

Is this about the system dbs thread?

I should have stayed away!

This is down right scary!

I read the thread. Oh my. The OP isn't even listening to what people are telling them. You're right, that is very scary.

• jasona.work (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

jasona.work (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

😀

Of course, this is thinking about physical nearness, I suppose we could be discussing logical nearness, in which case the person in question should be shot out of a cannon...

Into the sun...

(And for the topic that launched this, well, several people need to be loaded into said cannon...)

Nearness? Let's see, while in Afghanistan supported database servers located at numerous site around the country, even one in Wycombe, UK which required us to first RDP to one of two servers on British bases in Afghanistan before RDPing to Wycombe. This is why I now have a problem with companies that won't consider remote work for DBA/Data Developer positions.

• Ed Wagner (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

Luis Cazares (5/3/2016)

Ed Wagner (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

+1000

I read the thread. Oh my. The OP isn't even listening to what people are telling them. You're right, that is very scary.

Once again, Gail astonishes me with her dogged responses.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

jasona.work (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

jasona.work (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

😀

Into the sun...

Nearness? Let's see, while in Afghanistan supported database servers located at numerous site around the country, even one in Wycombe, UK which required us to first RDP to one of two servers on British bases in Afghanistan before RDPing to Wycombe. This is why I now have a problem with companies that won't consider remote work for DBA/Data Developer positions.

No argument from me.

I haven't had to touch a server I'm responsible for (at work) in 3 years (although mine are about 50 yards away, nothing like what you had.) It's really gotten to the point where the only people who actually need to physically touch a server are the people who initially set up the server farm (especially when it's a VM environment, then even the "normal" admins don't need to touch the boxes.)

Heh. I'm picturing a company where their "office" is nothing more than a cage in a CoLo facility that once a month or so a couple part-time employees go in to hit the servers with compressed air and swap out anything that threw a warning or has hit its end-of-life. The rest of the staff are all sitting at home, or at Starbucks working remotely with work calls forwarded to their phone / Skype / whatever...

Once a year, the company has a get-together so the staff can actually *see* each other...

• Phil Parkin (5/3/2016)

Ed Wagner (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

Luis Cazares (5/3/2016)

Ed Wagner (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

+1000

+1000 on that

Just read the thread. Wow, some people will not take no for an answer.

• djj (5/3/2016)

Phil Parkin (5/3/2016)

Ed Wagner (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

Luis Cazares (5/3/2016)

Ed Wagner (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

+1000

+1000 on that

Okay, I'm usually just a lurker on The Thread, but you guys have piqued my curiosity. Where is this thread of which you speak?

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Ray K (5/3/2016)

djj (5/3/2016)

Phil Parkin (5/3/2016)

Ed Wagner (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

Luis Cazares (5/3/2016)

Ed Wagner (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

+1000

+1000 on that

Okay, I'm usually just a lurker on The Thread, but you guys have piqued my curiosity. Where is this thread of which you speak?

Never mind. I think I found it.

Oh my.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Ray K (5/3/2016)

Ray K (5/3/2016)

djj (5/3/2016)

Phil Parkin (5/3/2016)

Ed Wagner (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

Luis Cazares (5/3/2016)

Ed Wagner (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

+1000

+1000 on that

Oh my.

Not seeing the forest:-D

😎

• jasona.work (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

jasona.work (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

jasona.work (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

😀

Into the sun...

No argument from me.

I haven't had to touch a server I'm responsible for (at work) in 3 years (although mine are about 50 yards away, nothing like what you had.) It's really gotten to the point where the only people who actually need to physically touch a server are the people who initially set up the server farm (especially when it's a VM environment, then even the "normal" admins don't need to touch the boxes.)

Heh. I'm picturing a company where their "office" is nothing more than a cage in a CoLo facility that once a month or so a couple part-time employees go in to hit the servers with compressed air and swap out anything that threw a warning or has hit its end-of-life. The rest of the staff are all sitting at home, or at Starbucks working remotely with work calls forwarded to their phone / Skype / whatever...

Once a year, the company has a get-together so the staff can actually *see* each other...

Last two jobs, all hardware access was completely done by the server team. It's been well over six years since I touched a server I managed. And now that we are virtualizing everything, I may never touch a server ever again.

• Eirikur Eiriksson (5/3/2016)

Ray K (5/3/2016)

Ray K (5/3/2016)

djj (5/3/2016)

Phil Parkin (5/3/2016)

Ed Wagner (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

Luis Cazares (5/3/2016)

Ed Wagner (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

+1000

+1000 on that

Oh my.

Not seeing the forest:-D

😎

Funny thing is, this gave me an idea for a possible presentation topic.

Viewing 15 posts - 53,911 through 53,925 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply