Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Had a "discussion" today. Developer asked I push a couple stored procedures. No problem, this happens all the time. Looked at the SP's and saw they did not have the comment section I have requested (management approved) for all SP's. Now a submitted SP can have a minimal amount of info and I will let it go, however this guy only had his name. No description of what they did or what ran them. I suggested he add information and he gets upset. When he went for a smoke, two other developers said I did a good job of it.

I hope the guy gets over it as we sit back to back and is a friend. :unsure:

Oh, well.

• The developer needs to get over it. It's a reasonable request and will take him five minutes to do.

• jeff.mason (5/3/2016)

The developer needs to get over it. It's a reasonable request and will take him five minutes to do.

Less if using a template, or more if he's not sure of what he's doing.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • djj (5/3/2016)

Had a "discussion" today. Developer asked I push a couple stored procedures. No problem, this happens all the time. Looked at the SP's and saw they did not have the comment section I have requested (management approved) for all SP's. Now a submitted SP can have a minimal amount of info and I will let it go, however this guy only had his name. No description of what they did or what ran them. I suggested he add information and he gets upset. When he went for a smoke, two other developers said I did a good job of it.

Oh, well.

Not only does the "developer" need to get over it, as suggested, he needs to concentrate a bit more on following the standards you laid out and have management approval on. It's actually a part of his job now and he needs to be a team member by doing his job correctly... first time if possible.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (5/3/2016)

djj (5/3/2016)

Had a "discussion" today. Developer asked I push a couple stored procedures. No problem, this happens all the time. Looked at the SP's and saw they did not have the comment section I have requested (management approved) for all SP's. Now a submitted SP can have a minimal amount of info and I will let it go, however this guy only had his name. No description of what they did or what ran them. I suggested he add information and he gets upset. When he went for a smoke, two other developers said I did a good job of it.

Oh, well.

Not only does the "developer" need to get over it, as suggested, he needs to concentrate a bit more on following the standards you laid out and have management approval on. It's actually a part of his job now and he needs to be a team member by doing his job correctly... first time if possible.

Love your work, Jeff.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (5/3/2016)

Jeff Moden (5/3/2016)

djj (5/3/2016)

Oh, well.

Love your work, Jeff.

>>>>>Pork>>>>Pork>>>>Pork>>>>Chop Chop Chop >>>> \o/

😎

• Jeff Moden (5/3/2016)

djj (5/3/2016)

Oh, well.

Needs to get over himself, too... Standards like this are there for a reason, and the reason is that writing and supporting stuff like this is a *team* effort, not a one-man job.

And, even if it were a one-man job, then the documentation had better be up to date, in case that man gets badly concussed by a flying frozen pork chop...

What's that line about "always document your code as if it's going to be maintained by an axe-wielding psychopath who knows where you live"? That.

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• ThomasRushton (5/3/2016)

Jeff Moden (5/3/2016)

djj (5/3/2016)

Oh, well.

Needs to get over himself, too... Standards like this are there for a reason, and the reason is that writing and supporting stuff like this is a *team* effort, not a one-man job.

And, even if it were a one-man job, then the documentation had better be up to date, in case that man gets badly concussed by a flying frozen pork chop...

What's that line about "always document your code as if it's going to be maintained by an axe-wielding psychopath who knows where you live"? That.

:hehe::laugh::-D

• djj (5/3/2016)

ThomasRushton (5/3/2016)

Jeff Moden (5/3/2016)

djj (5/3/2016)

Oh, well.

:hehe::laugh::-D

He should not only understand what his job is, but also what your job is and respect that. Standards exist for a reason and are everyone's responsibility. Sounds to me like you handled it very well.

• Some people should not be allowed any where near a database server.

• Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

Some people should not be allowed any where near a database server.

+1000

• Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

But, but...that's my job. :hehe:

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

• Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

+1000

I guess I'll agree with your agreement with yourself. 😛

• Ed Wagner (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

+1000

Is this about the system dbs thread?

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:

• Luis Cazares (5/3/2016)

Ed Wagner (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2016)

+1000

Is this about the system dbs thread?

I should have stayed away!

This is down right scary!

Viewing 15 posts - 53,896 through 53,910 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply