Are the posted questions getting worse?

• So I had my dose of mild frustration followed up by a funny this morning.

A dev asked me to restore two Test 2012 databases down to SQL 2k8. As I'm backing up the databases, I finally remember that downgrading doesn't work and let the dev know via email that I can't fulfill his request. But I'd be happy to restore down to the Dev 2012 environment. He doesn't respond immediately, but another co-worker goes on a mild rant about why can't SQL 2k8 restore a 2012 database? And Microsoft should know better, etc.

So as I'm trying not to point out the problem in a snarky way, I realize the dev still hasn't responded. So I walk over to their room and talk to him about it. The dev and his manager tease me about just copying the data over, which I flatly refuse because LOTS of tables, and say they haven't set up their application links to the new Dev environment. But they figure out a way around the problem and I leave knowing that they finally understand the issue.

As I walk back to my desk, I run into my boss's boss and mention that the Devs are asking me to do the impossible again by restoring the 2012 dbs down to 2008 (in a joking tone). To which he replies (semi-serious, semi-joking), "Brandie, everyone around here knows you can do anything you put your mind to. So they figured they'd give you a challenge for once."

Oh, heavens. I needed that chuckle.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie that is funny!

Rodders...

• So today is the last day of my current contract / gig.

Been a very odd week, what with being off for two weeks.

So got tasked with picking up some bits and pieces on the back of the data warehouse we were working on.

had a meeting on Tuesday with a plan of action. Deployed some of the views to the test environment for review. Emailed the person in MI with "send me some feedback"... heard nothing. had the hand over meeting just now and the MI person oh yes they are fine... I was expecting something quite different...

Meanwhile the big project that went live last week has had problems since then, and this week has been manic for those working on it. I should have been involved but wasn't. And with a week to go, it wasn't worth anyone bring me up to speed. So its been a very odd atmosphere in the office. Complete mayhem and madness going on around me, and me sitting in the calm eye of the hurricane.

Its been an odd six month contract anyway so this week seems a rather apt, slight flat way to finish!

Next week!

For those going to SQLNexus - have fun, would loved to made that one, but it overlaps with...

SQLBits - make sure to say hi ... It will be good to catch up with the usual mob (Gail, Steve, Grant etc... 😉 )

And if we haven't met in person yet or this is your first SQLBits make sure to come and say hi.

I'll be wearing Orange along with the other helpers, so I will be in registration at various times during the week. And probably around Tuesday night for the usual pre start set up (bag packing etc).

Attending / Room Monitoring Chris Atkins training day on Wednesday, Kalen Delany's on Thursday, and I think I'm loitering around the community corner Friday lunchtime!

Now for the long, long drive home... Its Friday, I have to go via the M25 car park, and it's raining... oh dear...

I know now why I work from home on a Friday!

Cheers,

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (4/29/2016)

SQLBits - make sure to say hi ... It will be good to catch up with the usual mob (Gail, Steve, Grant etc... 😉 )

Errr....

http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2016/04/26/upcoming-conferences/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Just a follow up on my other post (and apologies for bring tech & real work into the Thread, but you guys have the answers so I may as well post the question here).

All the feedback was good and helpful. Now, the remaining question is on the paging. I know of a number of different ways to get this done. However, I suspect you guys have run tests and can make a good recommendation on the best method for breaking apart the data for export (regardless of the precise method of the export). Please don't get hung on the 10,000 row value either. It was just an arbitrary number. Could be 5,000 or 1,000,000. I just need to be able to efficiently chunk the data needed for export.

Vielen Danke!

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Looking forward to seeing you all at Nexus/Bits.

• Grant Fritchey (4/29/2016)

Just a follow up on my other post (and apologies for bring tech & real work into the Thread, but you guys have the answers so I may as well post the question here).

All the feedback was good and helpful. Now, the remaining question is on the paging. I know of a number of different ways to get this done. However, I suspect you guys have run tests and can make a good recommendation on the best method for breaking apart the data for export (regardless of the precise method of the export). Please don't get hung on the 10,000 row value either. It was just an arbitrary number. Could be 5,000 or 1,000,000. I just need to be able to efficiently chunk the data needed for export.

Vielen Danke!

As punishment for bringing "Real Work(TM)" into The Thread, you must now buy everyone who comes up to you at an event, who utters the phrase "the hippo sent me with the pork chop launcher," a drink, not to exceed $3 USD, from now until 6 May 2016.

:-D:hehe:

• jasona.work (4/29/2016)

Grant Fritchey (4/29/2016)

Just a follow up on my other post (and apologies for bring tech & real work into the Thread, but you guys have the answers so I may as well post the question here).

Vielen Danke!

As punishment for bringing "Real Work(TM)" into The Thread, you must now buy everyone who comes up to you at an event, who utters the phrase "the hippo sent me with the pork chop launcher," a drink, not to exceed $3 USD, from now until 6 May 2016.

Love it!

Wish I could help you with the paging issue, Grant, but I have not done any testing on it. And all the data sets I deal with are VSDB types.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• ... VSDB types.

You mean this[/url]?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (4/29/2016)

... VSDB types.

You mean this[/url]?

No. I meant it as a play on VLDBs as in Very Small Databases. But that's an interesting link. Thanks for posting it.

• jasona.work (4/29/2016)

Vielen Danke!

Hmmm... that's an interesting choice on dates.

Besides, according to this, I'm entitled to drinks from everyone.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey (4/29/2016)

jasona.work (4/29/2016)

Vielen Danke!

Hmmm... that's an interesting choice on dates.

Besides, according to this, I'm entitled to drinks from everyone.

You may be, but that has little impact on you providing drinks to others.

• GilaMonster (4/29/2016)

rodjkidd (4/29/2016)

Errr....

http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2016/04/26/upcoming-conferences/

errare humanum est.

😎

Homo non sum

• So a coworker attended a gender diversity workshop. She forwarded me the presentation with a slide that says women constitute 40% of database administrators, the highest of any computer science occupation.

Other occupations break down as thus:

Web Developers: 37%

Computer System Analysts: 35%

Computer & Information systems Managers: 30%

and it keeps going down to computer network architects: 11%

So what does it say about database administration that this job attracts more women than any of the other computer science occupations? Actually, what does it say about DBA culture that gender diversity is so high?

• Brandie Tarvin (4/29/2016)

So a coworker attended a gender diversity workshop. She forwarded me the presentation with a slide that says women constitute 40% of database administrators, the highest of any computer science occupation.

Other occupations break down as thus:

Web Developers: 37%

Computer System Analysts: 35%

Computer & Information systems Managers: 30%

and it keeps going down to computer network architects: 11%

So what does it say about database administration that this job attracts more women than any of the other computer science occupations? Actually, what does it say about DBA culture that gender diversity is so high?

Good things. Is this published data?

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Viewing 15 posts - 53,851 through 53,865 (of 66,621 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply