Are the posted questions getting worse?

• BrainDonor (1/7/2016)

I see that SQL Saturday Manchester has been announced - same venue as last year, 22/23 July.

Where did you see that? I can't find it for looking. Hopefully I'll get there this year.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• BWFC (1/8/2016)

BrainDonor (1/7/2016)

I see that SQL Saturday Manchester has been announced - same venue as last year, 22/23 July.

Where did you see that? I can't find it for looking. Hopefully I'll get there this year.

Email went out yesterday.

But it's still on the reserved date list on www.sqlsaturday.com

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (1/8/2016)

BWFC (1/8/2016)

BrainDonor (1/7/2016)

Rodders...

There's also the very first SQL Saturday in Belgium on March 19th, for people wanting to come over.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (1/8/2016)

rodjkidd (1/8/2016)

BWFC (1/8/2016)

BrainDonor (1/7/2016)

Rodders...

There's also the very first SQL Saturday in Belgium on March 19th, for people wanting to come over.

Are you sure that the email for Manchester went out? I have not received any mails for this event, and I would have submitted sessions if I had? (As I have for the Belgium event, obviously)

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Hugo Kornelis (1/8/2016)

Are you sure that the email for Manchester went out? I have not received any mails for this event, and I would have submitted sessions if I had? (As I have for the Belgium event, obviously)

I was notified via an email on Thursday. The email address used was sqlsaturday418@sqlsaturday.com. A little confusing, as that is the SQLSaturday number for last year's conference.

• BrainDonor (1/8/2016)

Hugo Kornelis (1/8/2016)

I was notified via an email on Thursday. The email address used was sqlsaturday418@sqlsaturday.com. A little confusing, as that is the SQLSaturday number for last year's conference.

I think its gone out to previous attendees only.

The fact that the event has been on the reserved list for sometime and still has to yet to move to upcoming probably explains that.

Hugo, I could be wrong, but I think the events get moved in a batch, I'd expect to see it go live officially on the website this weekend / early next week, then you will get an email about it re submissions.

Koen - Belgium, nice, been an age since I was last there. But sadly I am busy that Saturday πŸ™

Rodders...

• Here's a funny. The notification algorithm sent me an email from askssc.sqlservercentral.com telling me that I'd been mentioned in someone's query. But I hadn't. What it was triggering on was the use of a variable and column name called "BrandID". But for some reason the "BrandI" part of it made the notification alert think he was talking about me.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (1/8/2016)

Here's a funny. The notification algorithm sent me an email from askssc.sqlservercentral.com telling me that I'd been mentioned in someone's query. But I hadn't. What it was triggering on was the use of a variable and column name called "BrandID". But for some reason the "BrandI" part of it made the notification alert think he was talking about me.

LOL

I may have to use BrandIE for a couple of my variables :O

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (1/8/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (1/8/2016)

Here's a funny. The notification algorithm sent me an email from askssc.sqlservercentral.com telling me that I'd been mentioned in someone's query. But I hadn't. What it was triggering on was the use of a variable and column name called "BrandID". But for some reason the "BrandI" part of it made the notification alert think he was talking about me.

LOL

Rodders...

Hippo, attack!

@=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (1/8/2016)

rodjkidd (1/8/2016)

LOL

Rodders...

Hippo, attack!

@=)

I don't know if I'd ever want to use the IE suffix in any variable or table name. The server might get it confused with Internet Exploiter and I would immediately require another 328 security patches to stop the 147 exploits that have been opened up. πŸ˜›

• Ed Wagner (1/8/2016)

rodjkidd (1/8/2016)

LOL

Rodders...

Hippo, attack!

@=)

I don't know if I'd ever want to use the IE suffix in any variable or table name. The server might get it confused with Internet Exploiter and I would immediately require another 328 security patches to stop the 147 exploits that have been opened up. πŸ˜›

Try some risks, live on the edge! 😎

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (1/8/2016)

Ed Wagner (1/8/2016)

rodjkidd (1/8/2016)

LOL

Rodders...

Hippo, attack!

@=)

Try some risks, live on the edge! 😎

No pain, no gain!

😎

• Ed Wagner (1/8/2016)

rodjkidd (1/8/2016)

LOL

Rodders...

Hippo, attack!

@=)

I so, so wish when we go to Win Server 2012 that I could use Core installs, just to avoid the constant IE updates. Problem is, many of the required applications we have to have on our servers (various and sundry auditing, monitoring, etc) don't work on a Core(d) install of Win...

• I'm new to posting on this site although I have worked with SQL for over 20 years I tend not to post as 9/10 times you end up in a reply-battle with advisors with supposedly "5 stars".

There are some excellent points raised here - and some complete ego stroking statements... Ignoring the fact that this topic has been raised in the general community and has basically alienated probably 50% of the community from calling them "dumb"...

Do people forget the SQL is a FREE tool and ANYONE can download it - so yes, a lot of the questions you see are from less than newbies and deserve more of an answer than "you cant do it" which is what I generally see from "5 star" advisors. Consider this post just now: the answer changes from "no you cant" to "here is a detailed page on how to..."

As most "5 star" advisors probably are 100% committed to supporting and developing SQL in some large multi-national companies with endless budgets... just remember, as you go down the food-chain of SQL users - the less time an individual uses SQL they are a member of a group with factors of more in their community.

Until you get down to the poor guy who works in a small company who's responsibility for 30 minutes per month is to figure out some bizarre issue he has been given to resolve and needs a quick answer.. Do you really think they are going to read your funny quips and hyperlinks to how to complete questions better ??? Are you that self-indulged ?

This post has really annoyed me as you can probably tell - and I don't think I will use this site again.

This post seems to be self-serving and has turned into a highly condescending approach to the problem!

• simon-hulse (1/8/2016)

I'm new to posting on this site although I have worked with SQL for over 20 years I tend not to post as 9/10 times you end up in a reply-battle with advisors with supposedly "5 stars".

There are some excellent points raised here - and some complete ego stroking statements... Ignoring the fact that this topic has been raised in the general community and has basically alienated probably 50% of the community from calling them "dumb"...

Do people forget the SQL is a FREE tool and ANYONE can download it - so yes, a lot of the questions you see are from less than newbies and deserve more of an answer than "you cant do it" which is what I generally see from "5 star" advisors. Consider this post just now: the answer changes from "no you cant" to "here is a detailed page on how to..."

As most "5 star" advisors probably are 100% committed to supporting and developing SQL in some large multi-national companies with endless budgets... just remember, as you go down the food-chain of SQL users - the less time an individual uses SQL they are a member of a group with factors of more in their community.

Until you get down to the poor guy who works in a small company who's responsibility for 30 minutes per month is to figure out some bizarre issue he has been given to resolve and needs a quick answer.. Do you really think they are going to read your funny quips and hyperlinks to how to complete questions better ??? Are you that self-indulged ?

This post has really annoyed me as you can probably tell - and I don't think I will use this site again.

This post seems to be self-serving and has turned into a highly condescending approach to the problem!

This thread has over 52,000 posts. It has become the "water cooler" for many of the regulars around here. If you actually look at the posts on this site where people are asking for help you will find that in general this site is far more helpful and professional than nearly any other help forum. This thread is where we go to blow off some steam. It is unfortunate that you feel you need to leave this site. With 20+ years of experience we would love to have your input on many topics around here.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

Viewing 15 posts - 52,066 through 52,080 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply