Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Congratulations to several Threadzians for making MSSQL's Author of the Year, including Koen Verbeck and K. Brian Kelly. (The others I don't know as well).

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• simon-hulse (1/8/2016)

... Do you really think they are going to read your funny quips and hyperlinks to how to complete questions better ??? Are you that self-indulged ?

If the question to be asked is not important enough to take the time to read about how to properly ask a question, then many would say it's not important enough for most of us to take the time to try and figure out what is being asked, or to figure out what to answer.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (1/8/2016)

simon-hulse (1/8/2016)

... Do you really think they are going to read your funny quips and hyperlinks to how to complete questions better ??? Are you that self-indulged ?

If the question to be asked is not important enough to take the time to read about how to properly ask a question, then many would say it's not important enough for most of us to take the time to try and figure out what is being asked, or to figure out what to answer.

I thought about answering the same way, but if Simon has breezed in to post his rant and breezed right out as he said, then I doubt he will be seeing any replies. Given his post, this feels more like a grand gesture exit than someone honestly having problems with the site and the people who answer questions here.

Then again, he could just keep stumbling on the one or two bad eggs on the forums who make everyone look bad. Or perhaps he's having a really bad day.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• simon-hulse (1/8/2016)

I'm new to posting on this site although I have worked with SQL for over 20 years I tend not to post as 9/10 times you end up in a reply-battle with advisors with supposedly "5 stars".

There are some excellent points raised here - and some complete ego stroking statements... Ignoring the fact that this topic has been raised in the general community and has basically alienated probably 50% of the community from calling them "dumb"...

Do people forget the SQL is a FREE tool and ANYONE can download it - so yes, a lot of the questions you see are from less than newbies and deserve more of an answer than "you cant do it" which is what I generally see from "5 star" advisors. Consider this post just now: the answer changes from "no you cant" to "here is a detailed page on how to..."

As most "5 star" advisors probably are 100% committed to supporting and developing SQL in some large multi-national companies with endless budgets... just remember, as you go down the food-chain of SQL users - the less time an individual uses SQL they are a member of a group with factors of more in their community.

Until you get down to the poor guy who works in a small company who's responsibility for 30 minutes per month is to figure out some bizarre issue he has been given to resolve and needs a quick answer.. Do you really think they are going to read your funny quips and hyperlinks to how to complete questions better ??? Are you that self-indulged ?

This post has really annoyed me as you can probably tell - and I don't think I will use this site again.

This post seems to be self-serving and has turned into a highly condescending approach to the problem!

The example you site above is a poor example. In normal use SSIS packages aren't used interactively in the manner the OP is asking. Also, in the cases we have asked the OP to read the article on what and how to post to get the best answer(s), it's because we usually can't figure out what exactly the OP is asking. This is a forum and we can't see what the OP sees or is doing unless they provide the necessary detail to know what is going on.

Also, I agree with Sean. With twenty years of experience with SQL Server your knowledge and insights would be welcome.

• Brandie Tarvin (1/8/2016)

Then again, he could just keep stumbling on the one or two bad eggs on the forums who make everyone look bad.

You mean like Phil Parkin, Jeff Moden and Gail Shaw? Yes, they make me look bad. 😀

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (1/8/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (1/8/2016)

Then again, he could just keep stumbling on the one or two bad eggs on the forums who make everyone look bad.

You mean like Phil Parkin, Jeff Moden and Gail Shaw? Yes, they make me look bad. 😀

They make all of us look bad. Like rank amateurs. @=) We can only hope to live up to their skill level.

• simon-hulse (1/8/2016)

I'm new to posting on this site although I have worked with SQL for over 20 years I tend not to post as 9/10 times you end up in a reply-battle with advisors with supposedly "5 stars".

There are some excellent points raised here - and some complete ego stroking statements... Ignoring the fact that this topic has been raised in the general community and has basically alienated probably 50% of the community from calling them "dumb"...

Do people forget the SQL is a FREE tool and ANYONE can download it - so yes, a lot of the questions you see are from less than newbies and deserve more of an answer than "you cant do it" which is what I generally see from "5 star" advisors. Consider this post just now: the answer changes from "no you cant" to "here is a detailed page on how to..."

As most "5 star" advisors probably are 100% committed to supporting and developing SQL in some large multi-national companies with endless budgets... just remember, as you go down the food-chain of SQL users - the less time an individual uses SQL they are a member of a group with factors of more in their community.

Until you get down to the poor guy who works in a small company who's responsibility for 30 minutes per month is to figure out some bizarre issue he has been given to resolve and needs a quick answer.. Do you really think they are going to read your funny quips and hyperlinks to how to complete questions better ??? Are you that self-indulged ?

This post has really annoyed me as you can probably tell - and I don't think I will use this site again.

This post seems to be self-serving and has turned into a highly condescending approach to the problem!

Using another SSIS question, how would you respond to the OPs question here: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1750864-364-1.aspx.

And this is typical of some of the questions we see and are expected to answer with no details. And SSIS questions can be even more difficult to answer than most typical SQL questions.

• You can't please everybody 100% of the time, but it's easy to displease some people all of the time.

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Brandie Tarvin (1/6/2016)

djj (1/5/2016)

SQLBill (1/5/2016)

If I hear of any openings anywhere that allow full work from home, I'll pass them your way.

-SQLBill

There all over the internet.:-P And I have this bridge in Brooklyn for sale. 😀

(I'll get my coat and hat)

Actually, my employer is starting to encourage the IT staff to work more from home. There will still be in-office meetings and touchpoints, but that's the direction we're heading.

I always find it difficult to understand what it is that makes some companies pointlessly anyti home working and why so many people believe that it applies to all companies.

Back in the 1970s, ICL had a large home-working group. I think it had started out as an attempt to avoid losing the expertise of female workers who became mothers and had children to look after, but it grew into something much bigger. By the mid-70s a lot of men as well as women were working full-time from home ; by full time I mean they would come into the office maybe twice a year, at all other times they worked at home. Video-conferencing worked (extremely badly) between company premises that were diretly on the company's "high-speed" (in 21st century terms: unbelievably slow) network but there was no imaginable way it could get to someone at home (for domestic telephones a 4.8kbps modem was normal in 1975, and 9.6kbps was possible only in a very small number of locations) so there was none of todays video conference twice a week for home workers, but software for email and action-tracking existed and of course ordinary telephone voice communication could supplement it. No-one seemed to think this was in any way odd or unusual - ICL had been something of a pioneer on this in the UK, but by 1980 any company in the UK computer game who wasn't doing it was thought outdated and silly. I don't really know how this worked out after that, certanly my employer in the late 90s had people working from home and from about 2005 to 2009 I worked from home quite often but by then I wasn't keeping track of what the big companies were doing any more.

Is this perhaps a difference between American and European attitudes to employees?

Tom

• TomThomson (1/8/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (1/6/2016)

djj (1/5/2016)

SQLBill (1/5/2016)

If I hear of any openings anywhere that allow full work from home, I'll pass them your way.

-SQLBill

There all over the internet.:-P And I have this bridge in Brooklyn for sale. 😀

(I'll get my coat and hat)

Actually, my employer is starting to encourage the IT staff to work more from home. There will still be in-office meetings and touchpoints, but that's the direction we're heading.

I always find it difficult to understand what it is that makes some companies pointlessly anyti home working and why so many people believe that it applies to all companies.

Back in the 1970s, ICL had a large home-working group. I think it had started out as an attempt to avoid losing the expertise of female workers who became mothers and had children to look after, but it grew into something much bigger. By the mid-70s a lot of men as well as women were working full-time from home ; by full time I mean they would come into the office maybe twice a year, at all other times they worked at home. Video-conferencing worked (extremely badly) between company premises that were diretly on the company's "high-speed" (in 21st century terms: unbelievably slow) network but there was no imaginable way it could get to someone at home (for domestic telephones a 4.8kbps modem was normal in 1975, and 9.6kbps was possible only in a very small number of locations) so there was none of todays video conference twice a week for home workers, but software for email and action-tracking existed and of course ordinary telephone voice communication could supplement it. No-one seemed to think this was in any way odd or unusual - ICL had been something of a pioneer on this in the UK, but by 1980 any company in the UK computer game who wasn't doing it was thought outdated and silly. I don't really know how this worked out after that, certanly my employer in the late 90s had people working from home and from about 2005 to 2009 I worked from home quite often but by then I wasn't keeping track of what the big companies were doing any more.

Is this perhaps a difference between American and European attitudes to employees?

It is a management attitude, if you aren't sitting in a seat at a desk in our office you aren't working (except at night when remoted in fixing a problem). For example, while working for a large school district in Colorado Springs, our building lost power. The only thing working was the server room and the intranet/internet comms. Several of us asked if we could go home so we could work. The answer was no. Result, we sat there in the dark getting paid to do absolutely nothing for over three hours. What a waste of employee time.

There was one person who was able to work for about an hour until her laptop battery died as the wireless access points were still working as well.

• Lynn Pettis (1/8/2016)

simon-hulse (1/8/2016)

Using another SSIS question, how would you respond to the OPs question here: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1750864-364-1.aspx.

And this is typical of some of the questions we see and are expected to answer with no details. And SSIS questions can be even more difficult to answer than most typical SQL questions.

We all know the number of questions that are posted with insufficient information. It's a normal part of life, both here on SSC and while answering questions at work. In person, we can ask questions. Here, we also have to ask questions. Knowing the question is the first step to getting to an answer. After the answer, I personally think that the discussion is more valuable than the one-line answer. That's where the real learning and understanding takes place.

It's truly unfortunate than they viewed requests for information as "funny quips and hyperlinks" that are "self-indulged" and left. Perhaps if they had spent some time figuring out what the question is and then answering them, their view would not be so sour. I don't think that we come off as "self-indulged" or arrogant. There is the rare exception, but I don't think this was it.

• simon-hulse (1/8/2016)

I don't think the OP in that thread was using the SQL "FREE" tool, or is there a free SQL option I'm not aware of. hmmm

Alvin Ramard

• Alvin Ramard (1/8/2016)

simon-hulse (1/8/2016)

I don't think the OP in that thread was using the SQL "FREE" tool, or is there a free SQL option I'm not aware of. hmmm

possibly SQL Express or evaluation (180 days)

• SQLRNNR (1/6/2016)

Ed Wagner (12/8/2015)

Eirikur Eiriksson (12/8/2015)

BrainDonor (12/8/2015)

Here's one I've never seen before - every thread on a full page of the search started by the same person.

Someone is very busy.

Too busy for RTFM

😎

Now there's a term I haven't heard in a while. I loved it when it first came out. Too bad it's still so very true.

Another good one is RIF. That ran rampant through the forums for a while.

Which was that? "Ruhe in Frieden" or "Reading is Fun"? Or something else?

Tom

• Luis Cazares (1/8/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (1/8/2016)

Thanks a lot for the vote of confidence. But I really don't belong in the same sentence as those two.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 15 posts - 52,081 through 52,095 (of 66,603 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply