Are the posted questions getting worse?

• SQLRNNR (1/6/2016)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/14/2015)

Jack Corbett (12/14/2015)

rodjkidd (12/13/2015)

Hey Grant,

I have a ticket for Marillion in Boston Friday Nov 4th. 🙂

It's a early show - doors at 6.

I then have one for New York the week after. Tuesday 8th.

Not sure if I will try for a 3rd in between Summit and the those.

They might add extra dates in those cities, they are doing two back to back in Chicago when Summit is on - they normally do two completely different nights then...

But plan at the moment is;

Maybe fly out early enough for Portland, then Summit, go to Boston the following Monday, 4-5 days in Boston, Saturday or Sunday to New York, 4-5 days in New York, fly back end of the week, maybe the Saturday.

So hopefully we can meet up in Boston! Yay

Cheers,

Rodders...

I'm offended now. I think I'm almost as close to Boston as Grant and you don't want to meet up with me? 😛

Rodders overlooked you.

Get it. It's a joke. :w00t:

:hehe:

Wait, where is Jack?

And Jason is baaaaack!

Be afraid, very afraid!

Rodders...

• BrainDonor (1/7/2016)

I see that SQL Saturday Manchester has been announced - same venue as last year, 22/23 July.

Yep. Got that email this morning! Thought it worked well enough as a venue. And think there were more rooms should they need them

Rodders..

• Ed Wagner (1/7/2016)

Thanks for the tip, Sean. I've not yet worked at a company that has an IM - I guess I've been sheltered. I'm hoping that using an actual IM isn't as distracting as email can be when it's used as an IM. 😛

It can be worse than email especially if people don't respect your status (Busy, In a meeting, Do Not Disturb) and still IM you expecting an immediate response. I've found that when I'm at the office if IM's can reduce the drop-ins, but if I don't reply to an IM quick enough it turns into a drop-in.

When you work from home IM can be a great tool. And Lync/Skype for Business is a pretty good tool for screen sharing and collaboration.

• Jack Corbett (1/7/2016)

Ed Wagner (1/7/2016)

Thanks for the tip, Sean. I've not yet worked at a company that has an IM - I guess I've been sheltered. I'm hoping that using an actual IM isn't as distracting as email can be when it's used as an IM. 😛

It can be worse than email especially if people don't respect your status (Busy, In a meeting, Do Not Disturb) and still IM you expecting an immediate response. I've found that when I'm at the office if IM's can reduce the drop-ins, but if I don't reply to an IM quick enough it turns into a drop-in.

When you work from home IM can be a great tool. And Lync/Skype for Business is a pretty good tool for screen sharing and collaboration.

Doesn't "DO NOT DISTURB" block the actual message?

• BL0B_EATER (1/7/2016)

Jack Corbett (1/7/2016)

Ed Wagner (1/7/2016)

You still get it via the email notifications.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Jack Corbett (1/7/2016)

Very true. While IM can be a useful office tool it can also interrupt, distract or annoy. I worked with a person who would send me an IM, follow up with an email and then a drop-in. All within minutes of each other. The drop-in conversation always started with "did you see my IM?"... ummm, yes, but while composing a reply to your IM you sent me an email, and while composing a reply to your email you decided to drop-in on me...

• Jeff Moden (1/6/2016)

Alan.B (1/5/2016)

SQLBill (1/5/2016)

Lynn Pettis (1/4/2016)

SQLBill (1/4/2016)

Lynn Pettis (1/4/2016)

SQLBill (1/4/2016)

I stayed up way longer than normal during the holiday break, but I forced myself to get in the bed (and sleep) on my 'normal' time so I'd be back on my schedule.

My wife and I did a big move just before Christmas - went from hot Arizona (Chandler - SE of Phoenix) to cold Arizona (Dewey - outside Prescott). A 2-hour drive difference and 20 degree temperature change. So we've spent the holiday break unpacking boxes and trying to get things set up and arranged how we want them. Thank goodness for being able to work from home.

-SQLBill

My daughter is in Prescott, AZ. She attends ERAU.

Very nice. How is she enjoying Prescott? We love the area. Five lakes to kayak on and hike around. Lots of beautiful views and hiking areas. I'm not enjoying the cold weather....but at least snow is very rare and when it does appear it doesn't stay long.

-SQLBill

She's enjoyed it. The climate is similar to Colorado Springs, CO. I should have another daughter coming to the area in the fall, and then one there now will be moving to the East Coast.

If I could find a position working from home I'd consider moving there.

Glad to hear she's enjoying the climate and scenery. That's why we moved up here. Luckily the company I work for allows part time work from home...so my wife and I have a condo near Phoenix so I can stay there a couple days each week when I need to go into the office.

If I hear of any openings anywhere that allow full work from home, I'll pass them your way.

-SQLBill

I'll be in AZ for a week starting next week with the family. We're looking to move to the Phoenix area (Scottsdale, Gilbert, Chandler). I love Chicago but have had enough winter and Midwest scenery to last a lifetime.

Rumor has it that it's so dry in Phoenix that you have to water the artificial flowers. 😛

of course! If you don't keep them properly watered they melt. 🙂

-SQLBill

• Alan.B (1/5/2016)

SQLBill (1/5/2016)

Lynn Pettis (1/4/2016)

SQLBill (1/4/2016)

Lynn Pettis (1/4/2016)

SQLBill (1/4/2016)

I stayed up way longer than normal during the holiday break, but I forced myself to get in the bed (and sleep) on my 'normal' time so I'd be back on my schedule.

My wife and I did a big move just before Christmas - went from hot Arizona (Chandler - SE of Phoenix) to cold Arizona (Dewey - outside Prescott). A 2-hour drive difference and 20 degree temperature change. So we've spent the holiday break unpacking boxes and trying to get things set up and arranged how we want them. Thank goodness for being able to work from home.

-SQLBill

My daughter is in Prescott, AZ. She attends ERAU.

Very nice. How is she enjoying Prescott? We love the area. Five lakes to kayak on and hike around. Lots of beautiful views and hiking areas. I'm not enjoying the cold weather....but at least snow is very rare and when it does appear it doesn't stay long.

-SQLBill

She's enjoyed it. The climate is similar to Colorado Springs, CO. I should have another daughter coming to the area in the fall, and then one there now will be moving to the East Coast.

If I could find a position working from home I'd consider moving there.

Glad to hear she's enjoying the climate and scenery. That's why we moved up here. Luckily the company I work for allows part time work from home...so my wife and I have a condo near Phoenix so I can stay there a couple days each week when I need to go into the office.

If I hear of any openings anywhere that allow full work from home, I'll pass them your way.

-SQLBill

I'll be in AZ for a week starting next week with the family. We're looking to move to the Phoenix area (Scottsdale, Gilbert, Chandler). I love Chicago but have had enough winter and Midwest scenery to last a lifetime.

We liked Chandler, but the valley can be extremely hot in the summer. Scottsdale is a bit cooler than Chandler or Gilbert. Have you been out here for a visit in the summer? If not, I'd really suggest coming out in August and seeing what the heat is really like.

-SQLBill

• Grumpy DBA (1/7/2016)

Jack Corbett (1/7/2016)

Very true. While IM can be a useful office tool it can also interrupt, distract or annoy. I worked with a person who would send me an IM, follow up with an email and then a drop-in. All within minutes of each other. The drop-in conversation always started with "did you see my IM?"... ummm, yes, but while composing a reply to your IM you sent me an email, and while composing a reply to your email you decided to drop-in on me...

Around here, people send the email first and then follow up immediately with the IM. Then they still drop by within minutes because their thing is SO IMPORTANT that I "have to" drop production-level support work to get them answers to their testing questions.

At which point, if I had my status set to Busy or DND, and sometimes even if I'm showing available, I tell them they're on my list and I will get to them in the order in which their "call" was received.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (1/7/2016)

Around here, people send the email first and then follow up immediately with the IM. Then they still drop by within minutes because their thing is SO IMPORTANT that I "have to" drop production-level support work to get them answers to their testing questions.

At which point, if I had my status set to Busy or DND, and sometimes even if I'm showing available, I tell them they're on my list and I will get to them in the order in which their "call" was received.

I hear you, Brandie. I worked in some environments where a Dev server became a high priority while I was working on a Prod issue. Their logic was a team of developers was sitting idle until a DBA could resolve the issue, meanwhile, an assembly line in Kentucky was running slow (supposedly) due to a database issue which I was actively trying to resolve. And "if we ain't building cars we ain't making money"...

• I have an awesome opportunity to be a guest lecturer at ASU in Tempe, Arizona for their computer program. My employer is partnering with the university to provide guest lecturers from the real world into the university classrooms.

A look at the curriculum indicates the IT program for the next few semesters is definitely programing oriented and object-based programming at that. So I'm going to write up a proposal for including a relational database lecture in their capstone class. It's been a while since I took CIS classes, so can anyone here give me insight on what's going on in the college classrooms these days and how I can tailor my proposal to fit?

BL0B_EATER (1/7/2016)

Jack Corbett (1/7/2016)

Ed Wagner (1/7/2016)

The IM system sends you an email that you have an IM? Noooo!!!!! :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

Give people a communication tool and they turn it into an abusive harassment tool. :angry::crazy:

• Ed Wagner (1/7/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (1/7/2016)

BL0B_EATER (1/7/2016)

Jack Corbett (1/7/2016)

Ed Wagner (1/7/2016)

The IM system sends you an email that you have an IM? Noooo!!!!! :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

Give people a communication tool and they turn it into an abusive harassment tool. :angry::crazy:

I have not witnessed that but then I don't usually set my status to Do Not Disturb. One thing I like here is that when I ignore my phone I get an email that I missed a call. I also get an mp3 of the message and some of the best humor of my day is reading the speech to text interpretation.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

I have an awesome opportunity to be a guest lecturer at ASU in Tempe, Arizona for their computer program. My employer is partnering with the university to provide guest lecturers from the real world into the university classrooms.

A look at the curriculum indicates the IT program for the next few semesters is definitely programing oriented and object-based programming at that. So I'm going to write up a proposal for including a relational database lecture in their capstone class. It's been a while since I took CIS classes, so can anyone here give me insight on what's going on in the college classrooms these days and how I can tailor my proposal to fit?

According to a group of politicians they just teach left wing ideas. 😀

By looking at the homework questions, I some time wonder if they only teach memorization. :hehe:

I hope someone actually answers your question as I have never had a CIS class and have been out of school longer than I like to think about.

• Sean Lange (1/7/2016)

Ed Wagner (1/7/2016)

Brandie Tarvin (1/7/2016)

BL0B_EATER (1/7/2016)

Jack Corbett (1/7/2016)

Ed Wagner (1/7/2016)

I have not witnessed that but then I don't usually set my status to Do Not Disturb. One thing I like here is that when I ignore my phone I get an email that I missed a call. I also get an mp3 of the message and some of the best humor of my day is reading the speech to text interpretation.

Our place recently switched from IM/Skype to Slack. You are able to manage the interruptions almost completely with their "Do not disturb" setting. Slack also has very slick (no alliteration intended) functionality that enhances productivity in ways that wouldn't fit a "social" tool like IM or Skype. You can get it for free indefinitely but of course they have hooks that get you to subscribe eventually.

Viewing 15 posts - 52,051 through 52,065 (of 66,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply