Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Ed Wagner (12/1/2015)

GilaMonster (12/1/2015)

Ed Wagner (12/1/2015)

They appear to have a one-shot use though, before disappearing to somewhere else.

Probably something to do with collapsing the quantum mechanical wave function. Using one collapses the function of possible problems to one, and as a side effect sets the crystal ball's location function to a constant across all of space-time.

If the location function is a constant, it certainly isn't here. πŸ˜›

It depends on what the constant is - and of course the location function is delivering 0 everywhere. A location function delivers the probability that the object is at the location referenced by the paramters fed in. The location function for a crystal ball in its excited state will deliver the value 0 for the probability that the ball is at the location for which the function is being called.

The ball is excited by being forced to provide an answer to an esoteric question like "what on earth is this idiot refusing to tell us that would enable us to help him". But when a searcher for esoteric knowledge reaches a situation where he knows exactly how fast he is solving the OP's problem(his speed is exactly zero - which in quantum mechanical terms means he's not just getting nowhere, he's already there), the probability of him being in a given location is (according to Mr Heisenberg) exactly the same as the probability of him being in any other location, and one in infinity is zero; thus he has the same location function as an excited crystal ball, so he may by chance happen to get hold of it and calm it down for long enough to ask it a question and force it to answer - of course once he's caught the ball he doesnt know how exactly fast he's going, as he doesn't know how long it will take him to get the ball calm enough to do some work and on top of that he will have to do some thinking about the actual problem, so he and the ball now have a fuzzy location rather than none at all. But being forced to answer excites the crystal ball again so as soon as the ball has identified the problem for him it is once again has zero probability of being in any particular place, so it disappears.

I think it must use dark matter in some way because when I try to answer some questions, I sure feel like I'm taking a shot in the dark.

Well, we don't know where the dark matter is either - it's almost as bad as the crystal balls; or perhaps even worse than them, as at least the difficulty of finding crystal balls has a reasonable explanation.

Tom

• TomThomson (12/1/2015)

Ed Wagner (12/1/2015)

GilaMonster (12/1/2015)

Ed Wagner (12/1/2015)

They appear to have a one-shot use though, before disappearing to somewhere else.

Probably something to do with collapsing the quantum mechanical wave function. Using one collapses the function of possible problems to one, and as a side effect sets the crystal ball's location function to a constant across all of space-time.

It depends on what the constant is - and of course the location function is delivering 0 everywhere. A location function delivers the probability that the object is at the location referenced by the paramters fed in. The location function for a crystal ball in its excited state will deliver the value 0 for the probability that the ball is at the location for which the function is being called.

The ball is excited by being forced to provide an answer to an esoteric question like "what on earth is this idiot refusing to tell us that would enable us to help him". But when a searcher for esoteric knowledge reaches a situation where he knows exactly how fast he is solving the OP's problem(his speed is exactly zero - which in quantum mechanical terms means he's not just getting nowhere, he's already there), the probability of him being in a given location is (according to Mr Heisenberg) exactly the same as the probability of him being in any other location, and one in infinity is zero; thus he has the same location function as an excited crystal ball, so he may by chance happen to get hold of it and calm it down for long enough to ask it a question and force it to answer - of course once he's caught the ball he doesnt know how exactly fast he's going, as he doesn't know how long it will take him to get the ball calm enough to do some work and on top of that he will have to do some thinking about the actual problem, so he and the ball now have a fuzzy location rather than none at all. But being forced to answer excites the crystal ball again so as soon as the ball has identified the problem for him it is once again has zero probability of being in any particular place, so it disappears.

I think it must use dark matter in some way because when I try to answer some questions, I sure feel like I'm taking a shot in the dark.

Well, we don't know where the dark matter is either - it's almost as bad as the crystal balls; or perhaps even worse than them, as at least the difficulty of finding crystal balls has a reasonable explanation.

Pure genius.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• GilaMonster (12/1/2015)

Me: Execution plans please

OP: You can use AdventureWorks2012

Well, yes I could, if I had it installed on the machine that I'm currently using (which I don't). Or I can spend that time on other questions. Guess which it's going to be.

Made me think it's a homework question.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• ChrisM@Work (12/1/2015)

TomThomson (12/1/2015)

Ed Wagner (12/1/2015)

GilaMonster (12/1/2015)

Ed Wagner (12/1/2015)

Pure genius.

Yeah, that's pretty slick. No wonder that crystal ball is so elusive all the time.

• While I realize the end of the year is still 4 weeks off, what a year it's been...

For me, I've had quite a few big changes in the last year. Moved into a new house (OK, technically that was last year, not this year, but it was September, so close enoug,) switched employers (but not jobs!)

But at this point, all I can really say is...

WHERE THE HECK DID THE LAST TWELVE MONTHS GO??????

Geez, it seems like it was only a couple days ago we were still in the midst of summer, and not long before that, that it was spring...

Every time I have a thought like this, I'm reminded of something I heard (or read) ages ago:

As you get older, the reason the years and months seem to go by so much quicker is becuase each one constitutes so much less of the total time you've been alive. When you're 10, a year is only 1/10th of your life. When your 45 (not that I am, really, I'm still only 25, honest :hehe:) a year is 1/45th of your life.

• So each year is about a week for me? Yes, that feels about right.

• I think the year hasn't gone super fast. As I look back at what happened. It seems ages since I was in South Dakota this summer on vacation and for the SQL Sat. Even longer since I had the chance to go to Redmond in June, or VMWare in April. Ages since my daughter's last volleyball in Mar/April. Truly a long year.

On the other hand, it's a blur of memories. Was I just writing about the end of 2014 recently? So many things blend together.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/2/2015)

I think the year hasn't gone super fast. As I look back at what happened. It seems ages since I was in South Dakota this summer on vacation and for the SQL Sat. Even longer since I had the chance to go to Redmond in June, or VMWare in April. Ages since my daughter's last volleyball in Mar/April. Truly a long year.

On the other hand, it's a blur of memories. Was I just writing about the end of 2014 recently? So many things blend together.

I think that's how it is for most...

Big events stick out, and you look back and think "was it really that long ago?"

But the majority of the time just blurs together and it feels like the old Dunkin' Donuts commercials, the "time to make the donuts" bit...

• jasona.work (12/2/2015)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/2/2015)

I think the year hasn't gone super fast. As I look back at what happened. It seems ages since I was in South Dakota this summer on vacation and for the SQL Sat. Even longer since I had the chance to go to Redmond in June, or VMWare in April. Ages since my daughter's last volleyball in Mar/April. Truly a long year.

I think that's how it is for most...

Big events stick out, and you look back and think "was it really that long ago?"

But the majority of the time just blurs together and it feels like the old Dunkin' Donuts commercials, the "time to make the donuts" bit...

Yeah, my summer vacation (end of July) seems like it was so very long ago. Even SQL Saturday Pittsburgh (early October) seems like a long time ago.

Interesting perspective on 1/45 of your life, but I have to agree on the "time to make the donuts" feeling. I'm so busy doing so many things that time seems to just fly by and the only realization of it is that it's time to do the next thing. The occasional reflection (Thanksgiving, end of year, birthday, etc.) is something I find very valuable to assess progress in certain areas.

• I see the great semi-colon debate is back on over here: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1740157-1292-5.aspx

:hehe:

/me grabs a bucket of popcorn to watch the show;

//me doesn't always terminate statements with a semi-colon

///semi-colon;

///semi-colon;

Neither do I, though I fix that any time I notice the mistake. I don't however start statements with terminators.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hmm...

Here's a way to maybe sort of settle the semi-colon discussion amongst the forum dwellers!

PAINTBALL!

Split into two teams, semi-colon as statement terminators vs semi-colons OK at the start of certain statements!

Each player on the losing team buys a round for everyone on the winning team!

I chose paintball over something like laser tag, because with paintball you've got more incentive to win, because (from what I've heard) it can sting when you get hit...

The other option would be to make it *really* sting and find a gun range with a shoot house and simunition rounds. 9mm paintball!

• GilaMonster (12/2/2015)

jasona.work (12/2/2015)

///semi-colon;

Neither do I, though I fix that any time I notice the mistake. I don't however start statements with terminators.

ditto.

I CTRL+B, C with Prompt, but also find issues.

I'll get this:

select col

from table

where name = x;

then I add a line.

select col

from table

where name = x;

and color = 'red'

And I get a syntax error and my eyes keep missing the ;.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/2/2015)

then I add a line.

select col

from table

where name = x;

and color = 'red'

And I get a syntax error and my eyes keep missing the ;.

I don't know how many times I've done this to myself. It's maddening, the amount of time it takes me to figure out the problem. Especially when I've got dynamic SQL or subqueries that are causing SSMS to plop me back to the WRONG LINE.

<dramatic sigh>

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Hmm...

Here's a way to maybe sort of settle the semi-colon discussion amongst the forum dwellers!

PAINTBALL!

Split into two teams, semi-colon as statement terminators vs semi-colons OK at the start of certain statements!

Each player on the losing team buys a round for everyone on the winning team!

I chose paintball over something like laser tag, because with paintball you've got more incentive to win, because (from what I've heard) it can sting when you get hit...

The other option would be to make it *really* sting and find a gun range with a shoot house and simunition rounds. 9mm paintball!

Good idea. Although those that use semi colons at the start of statements have to hold the gun the wrong way round :hehe:

Viewing 15 posts - 51,661 through 51,675 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply