Are the posted questions getting worse?

• From the leaving DBA's point of view it wouldn't give me a confident feeling when the OP is reverting every question to this forum.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • HanShi (9/19/2014)

GilaMonster (9/19/2014)

Someone's either having the worst day, or is asking interview questions.

Database goes into Restoring mode

Performance tuning it so critical can any one plz figure it out urgent

How to recover SQL server 2005[Standard] Data base in suspeect mode

So a 2TB database with poor performance that's gone into Recovering mode and is suspect. Or multiple 2TB databases and a pile of disasters

And by all the multiple other questions he posts, he looks like a junior or accidental DBA that doesn't have the knowledge to even start solving the problems.

I hope they're not all real scenarios hitting him at the same time. That would be the worst day ever.

• GilaMonster (9/17/2014)

andrew gothard (9/17/2014)

It's a bit wasteful on RAM, holding all your hot index pages twice, as well as any you're not using in RAM anyway. Puzzled as to how this approach will "greatly improve performance" - does this person work for a spectacularly unscrupulous RAM vendor by any chance?

Considering that the rest of the recommendations on that page were either complete hogswash or based on busted myths...

What I didn't copy was, at the beginning of his set of RAMDisk based recommendations was Microsoft was stupid for removing PinTable because using it was so crucial to good performance, therefore here's how to get around that removal.

I have to ask, this article wasn't by any chance posted on 1st of April was it?

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• Sean Lange (9/18/2014)

Ed Wagner (9/18/2014)

Sean Lange (9/18/2014)

Ed Wagner (9/18/2014)

Sean Lange (9/17/2014)

WayneS (9/17/2014)

Sean Lange (9/17/2014)

ROFLMAO!!!! I just got a dev ticket to look into a website that was written and deployed about 3 years before I got here. The ONLY page on the entire site that does anything more than deliver static content is a page with a form that allows the user to upload a file. I was told this is really important because the last submission received was in 2010. Obviously mission critical functionality here. Add to that it is written in classic asp. I opened the thing for the first time ever today and it is wide open the sql injection, javascript injection and probably more. There is only 1 way to fix this, take it out to the pasture and shoot it. 😛

Is this a public facing website? Care to send me a link? 😉

Not really. 😛 Not wanting to turn something that I can easily blow off for at least 4 years into something I have to fix immediately. It is public facing and truly horrible. It just takes the text boxes and build a pass through query blindly. Not even an attempt made to protect anything. Add to that the ability to upload files with no checking on file type or anything at all. The URL alone is enough to gain access to the network and I am not handing out that key. YUCK!!!

As long as it doesn't check file type, does it also open the file and do something with it? Or is it boring and just save it to disk and let someone else open it to do the damage read the data?

Thankfully it just saves it disc until somebody else comes along and opens it. Of course it hasn't worked in 4 years so the threat is rather low.

Good point. I saw the lack of file type validation and felt a low-level panic starting. If the server accepts a file of any type and then tries to open it, a .exe, .com, .bat or .cmd could cause some major damage to the server itself. Heck, even the old .pif might still be supported. Just another level of danger induced by the lack of validation.

On another front, since the obviously mission-critical process it hasn't worked for 4 years, I would be forced to question whether it was really needed at all.

I told them I would fix it as quickly as they reported the problem. They chuckled until I opened outlook and added a calendar item in 2018 and invited them to it so we can discuss the requirements of a rewrite. 😀

You sir, are my hero 😀

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Tom, my heart bleeds for my ancestral homeland this morning. To think that half of the population disagrees with the current direction is mind-boggling. And, side-note, Scotland seems to be vastly superior to the US when it comes to voter turnout and ballot validation. 85% turnout and one tenth of one percent of ballots discarded. Astonishing!

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• TomThomson (9/18/2014)

Grant Fritchey (9/17/2014)

So this is happening[/url]. If any of the Threadizens are inclined to make a blog post (or three) in support, I'd be appreciative.

Were it not for the total incompetence of whoever handles registrations as PASS member in the UK, I would vote for you but as it stands, despite having been told by the PASS (UK, LONDON) website that I was a member 6 years ago, it turned out that I was not a member, so not eligible to vote. I'm not terribly surprised, since I had not a single communication from PASS since my membership was confirmed, a bit over six years ago, and never found anything on the UK website. The website for the London branch (which claimed it ws thE pass uk WEBSITE) has moved (again no notification) to a new URL, and my login no longer works (it did last time I tried, a few years ago, on the old website, before I concluded that PASS UK was a complete nonentity). I've registered again today, and can log in at the main website, but why should I believed that I will still be able to do so tomorrow? Maybe if you are elected you can do someting to eliminate this sort of organisational nonsense?

Yikes. We'll see.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Ed Wagner (9/19/2014)

HanShi (9/19/2014)

GilaMonster (9/19/2014)

So a 2TB database with poor performance that's gone into Recovering mode and is suspect. Or multiple 2TB databases and a pile of disasters

And by all the multiple other questions he posts, he looks like a junior or accidental DBA that doesn't have the knowledge to even start solving the problems.

I hope they're not all real scenarios hitting him at the same time. That would be the worst day ever.

Before looking on those threads, I thought that someone should call the DBA team :-P.

After reading those threads, I'm sure that those are some kind of test or interview questions.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • GilaMonster (9/19/2014)

What I wanted to say, but didn't:

<Deleted to protect the guilty>(9/19/2014)

iam not asking you the links i want to konw the particular login running from 1000 users seeesions

Well, without direct access to your systems, what do you expect volunteers on the internet to do, pull a rabbit out of our ...?

• Lynn Pettis (9/19/2014)

GilaMonster (9/19/2014)

What I wanted to say, but didn't:

<Deleted to protect the guilty>(9/19/2014)

iam not asking you the links i want to konw the particular login running from 1000 users seeesions

Well, without direct access to your systems, what do you expect volunteers on the internet to do, pull a rabbit out of our ...?

Do you think I was out of line on my post? I gave him a query against the DMVs to pull the currently running sessions.

• Koen Verbeeck (9/17/2014)

Since we're all talking about BBQ:

has Weber any kind of popularity in the USA?

I have a Weber. Broke one of the doors bringing it home :(, but so far it's been the only grill to have the auto light work more than 3 months (been about 2 years) now. We use it probably weekly if not more and love it. By far worth the $$ over every other grill I've had.

And I'm cheap.

• WayneS (9/17/2014)

Please????? (I have this neat SQL Injection demo that I do... it would be neat to incorporate this into it and show a real world hack!) :cool::w00t:

Where's my SQLi article?

We need more of these, BTW. I actually need to take a couple of my encryption demos and put them up as articles that show SQLi issues.

• Roy Ernest (9/18/2014)

Ed Wagner (9/18/2014)

Roy Ernest (9/18/2014)

Why would SQL Pass want to list the candidates in the order of committee ranking? The slate has been ratified, so it should be just the names of the candidates in no order.

Sorry, dont agree with the wording of that email.

What email? Did you receive a ballot email?

Connector from PASS. Their wordings "The candidates, listed in order of their Nomination Committee ranking, are James Rowland-Jones, Sri Sridharan, Wendy Pastrick, and Grant Fritchey. "

Personally I think this is OK, though I'd like to see the rankings to understand. It is 74, 73, 72, 71 or is it 74, 64, 50, 20?

The NomCom does something, so they should disclose rankings. Not that I think Grant is the least qualified, but the others should be better suited. They have experience on the board. It's a weird, strange thing that's unlike working in tech, and there are lessons to be learned over time.

Now, personally I'll vote Grant because I want changes to happen. JRJ has pushed for change and made things happen. Not sure what else has changed because of Sri/Wendy, though I'm not saying they didn't do a good job. I just don't know.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/19/2014)

Roy Ernest (9/18/2014)

Ed Wagner (9/18/2014)

Roy Ernest (9/18/2014)

Why would SQL Pass want to list the candidates in the order of committee ranking? The slate has been ratified, so it should be just the names of the candidates in no order.

Connector from PASS. Their wordings "The candidates, listed in order of their Nomination Committee ranking, are James Rowland-Jones, Sri Sridharan, Wendy Pastrick, and Grant Fritchey. "

Personally I think this is OK, though I'd like to see the rankings to understand. It is 74, 73, 72, 71 or is it 74, 64, 50, 20?

The NomCom does something, so they should disclose rankings. Not that I think Grant is the least qualified, but the others should be better suited. They have experience on the board. It's a weird, strange thing that's unlike working in tech, and there are lessons to be learned over time.

Now, personally I'll vote Grant because I want changes to happen. JRJ has pushed for change and made things happen. Not sure what else has changed because of Sri/Wendy, though I'm not saying they didn't do a good job. I just don't know.

Just because they do something, that means we should know how fit a candidate is for the position? Are they electing them for us, or are we voting to elect them? For some random, can't seem to remember, reason </snark>, I might not always trust the judgement of the NomCom to match my own, good intentions or no. Therefore, why even introduce that into the process?

NomCom = weed out those who are truly unfit, nothing more. They should be like an HR person screening resumes. Don't give me the one who has been only flipping burgers for the last ten years, but don't try to hire the candidate for me.

• jcrawf02 (9/19/2014)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/19/2014)

Roy Ernest (9/18/2014)

Ed Wagner (9/18/2014)

Roy Ernest (9/18/2014)

Just because they do something, that means we should know how fit a candidate is for the position? Are they electing them for us, or are we voting to elect them? For some random, can't seem to remember, reason </snark>, I might not always trust the judgement of the NomCom to match my own, good intentions or no. Therefore, why even introduce that into the process?

NomCom = weed out those who are truly unfit, nothing more. They should be like an HR person screening resumes. Don't give me the one who has been only flipping burgers for the last ten years, but don't try to hire the candidate for me.

Ranking without supporting information seems like a good old boys club.

It would be good to know how they ranked, and on what.

Or be like the HR person just giving you the list of potential hires.

Where you do the second sort for the best match to the position.

In some fashion, it seems like the election ballot listing the incumbents first, and spelling it out.

Unless they did something really memorable in a bad way, I think it sways the voting and inhibits change.

Ever vote for a Judge that way?

• Greg Edwards-268690 (9/19/2014)

Ranking without supporting information seems like a good old boys club.

It would be good to know how they ranked, and on what.

Or be like the HR person just giving you the list of potential hires.

Where you do the second sort for the best match to the position.

In some fashion, it seems like the election ballot listing the incumbents first, and spelling it out.

Unless they did something really memorable in a bad way, I think it sways the voting and inhibits change.

Ever vote for a Judge that way?

I agree with Greg. It's not that the NomCom decides for me, but they have knowledge of what is being asked of candidates and they do interview people. I'd like to know what they see, or how the candidate comes off. It's a piece of information, not the most important, but a piece.

I am OK with them just listing the names as well, but honestly, in most elections, this means that the person had enough signatures on a poll to get on the ballot. I'm not sure that's better. I'd rather have the full disclosure for those that make it.

Viewing 15 posts - 45,796 through 45,810 (of 66,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply