Are the posted questions getting worse?

• TomThomson (9/18/2014)

Why "Like today" in particular?

Because I first saw it the day I wrote that. Hence it couldn't possibly have scared me any time prior to that.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Stefan Krzywicki (9/18/2014)

GilaMonster (9/18/2014)

Stefan Krzywicki (9/17/2014)

SQLRNNR (9/17/2014)

Roy Ernest (9/17/2014)

I got someone asking if Cursor will work fast on memory based objects.

It felt like the OP would upgrade to SQL 2014 so that he/she can make the cursor run faster.

It could. It could also be just as bad. Boils down to what objects are involved and how complex the cursor might be.

In the end, a set based would most likely be better for them. Sell them on the idea that 2014 has a much improved cardinality estimator that can make a lot of queries run faster by itself.:-D

I wrote a cursor this week. I needed to run sp_estimate_data_compression_savings against every table in the database. I probably could have opened the proc & figured out what tables it was querying and used that to write a set based query and I might in the future, but this works well enough for now.

I wouldn't bother to be honest. Firstly because that proc has multiple cursors in it anyway, second because it does stuff like

create table [#sample_tableDBA05385A6FF40F888204D05C7D56D2B]([dummyDBA05385A6FF40F888204D05C7D56D2B] [int]);

It works by taking a sample of the table you specify, creating a temp table in, adding indexes, inserting the sample data and then compressing it.

Nothing wrong with cursors/loops where appropriate, and when creating and altering objects is usually such a place

Good to know, thanks. Of course half the reason to go through the exercise is to find out what's in the stored proc you're calling. : -) I may still delve, but without trying to figure out how to make it a set based query.

I have a query that could be of help to you before diving into that proc. DM me and I can get it to you.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• jasona.work (9/18/2014)

Grant Fritchey (9/17/2014)

So this is happening[/url]. If any of the Threadizens are inclined to make a blog post (or three) in support, I'd be appreciative.

Vote for Grant for PASS Board! He'll bring free beer to all PASS functions for all attendees!

(Limit 1 1oz serving per person, per year, attendee must be of legal drinking age in the city / county / state / country, person must be able to correctly answer a query tuning question posed by Grant within 30 seconds, offer not valid in locales / venues which prohibit alcohol)

:hehe:

Bear in mind that the 1oz serving in question is in total quantity. All wanting to imbibe in the free alcohol are requested to share it. That does of course mean that some may get more, and some may get less than the 1oz to swish around their mouth before moving it on to the next person.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (9/18/2014)

jasona.work (9/18/2014)

Grant Fritchey (9/17/2014)

So this is happening[/url]. If any of the Threadizens are inclined to make a blog post (or three) in support, I'd be appreciative.

Vote for Grant for PASS Board! He'll bring free beer to all PASS functions for all attendees!

(Limit 1 1oz serving per person, per year, attendee must be of legal drinking age in the city / county / state / country, person must be able to correctly answer a query tuning question posed by Grant within 30 seconds, offer not valid in locales / venues which prohibit alcohol)

:hehe:

Bear in mind that the 1oz serving in question is in total quantity. All wanting to imbibe in the free alcohol are requested to share it. That does of course mean that some may get more, and some may get less than the 1oz to swish around their mouth before moving it on to the next person.

I've been to parties like that...

... not a fan.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Grant Fritchey (9/17/2014)

Were it not for the total incompetence of whoever handles registrations as PASS member in the UK, I would vote for you but as it stands, despite having been told by the PASS (UK, LONDON) website that I was a member 6 years ago, it turned out that I was not a member, so not eligible to vote. I'm not terribly surprised, since I had not a single communication from PASS since my membership was confirmed, a bit over six years ago, and never found anything on the UK website. The website for the London branch (which claimed it ws thE pass uk WEBSITE) has moved (again no notification) to a new URL, and my login no longer works (it did last time I tried, a few years ago, on the old website, before I concluded that PASS UK was a complete nonentity). I've registered again today, and can log in at the main website, but why should I believed that I will still be able to do so tomorrow? Maybe if you are elected you can do someting to eliminate this sort of organisational nonsense?

Tom

• Jeff Moden (9/17/2014)

Luis Cazares (9/17/2014)

Do I see some personal/professional growth in these words? I really hope so.

This Post is closed. I will research the issue.

Thanks.

Out of context, it looks more like a frustrated poster. Do you have a link for this?

Like Jeff, I would prefer to see the converstaytion before passing judgement based on a single very short quotation. asking for judgement based on just this context-free quotation is not sensible.

Edit: of course, there are cases (and maybe this is one) were that reaction is sensible in context.

Tom

• Roy Ernest (9/17/2014)

I got someone asking if Cursor will work fast on memory based objects.

It felt like the OP would upgrade to SQL 2014 so that he/she can make the cursor run faster.

The best way to speed up cursors is to have total database size smaller than 1MB. It's then quite hard to write a slow cursor. It's maybe still easier to write stuff that goes faster without a cursor, but even with it you are not going to be slow. And if all your data fits into 1MB, you can make all your objects memory-based and you may even (perhaps) run faster after doing that. 😀

Tom

• Stefan Krzywicki (9/17/2014)

I know people who frequent this list will mention when they're looking for a new position. Does anyone happen to be looking for something in the Boston area now? The company I'm working for is in Waltham and we're hiring.

I'm looking for a new position, because I want to show that we Scots are are ahead, on one topic at least, of the Indians - - so I need at least one position not listed in KS. 😀

More seriously, if you have a job that requires me to spend no more than 3 months a year in Boston with the rest working remotely, and no more that 1800 hours per year total, I might be interested. I don't have permission to work in the USA though.

Tom

• Roy Ernest (9/18/2014)

Why would SQL Pass want to list the candidates in the order of committee ranking? The slate has been ratified, so it should be just the names of the candidates in no order.

Sorry, dont agree with the wording of that email.

The reason they rate them in that order, and state clearly that they intended to do so, is that they want to ensure that their opinions have the maximum possible influence on the votes. I regard that as disgraceful; politicians (such as those in Sql pass who chose that order) will of course disagree with me.

Tom

• Jack Corbett (9/18/2014)

I'm not saying it is right or wrong, I'm just giving the reason for presenting the ranking. Many people in the community ask for more transparency and this is one of the areas PASS has chosen to be a little more transparent by saying, "The NomCom reviewed applications and interviewed the candidates and this is who they think are most qualified".

Having messed around a rather lot in elections of one sort and another I have some idea of how prejudice by officialdom is displayed in a manner that will affect the vote, and that this is a classical example of that. In civilised countries, that sort of behaviour is forbidden by law. Perhaps the USA, where PASS is based, doesn't come under that head?

Evidently "transparency" and "transparent" have meanings in PASSspeak that are rather different from their meaning in the English language. Calling an action which clearly has influence on votes "transparency" without stating that your intention is to influence votes is quite am amazing political stunt, and I hope that it will be seen by everyone as exactly that. Why not be honest and say "we'll tell you how we think you should vote because we want you to vote that way and hope to influence you"? If the list was accompanied by a clear statement like that you could claim transparency, but in it current form you can't. Alternatively, put the list in alphabetic order and state that that's what you have done.

Tom

• deleted post - same thing twice

Tom

• TomThomson (9/18/2014)

Jeff Moden (9/17/2014)

Luis Cazares (9/17/2014)

Do I see some personal/professional growth in these words? I really hope so.

This Post is closed. I will research the issue.

Thanks.

Out of context, it looks more like a frustrated poster. Do you have a link for this?

Like Jeff, I would prefer to see the converstaytion before passing judgement based on a single very short quotation. asking for judgement based on just this context-free quotation is not sensible.

Edit: of course, there are cases (and maybe this is one) were that reaction is sensible in context.

This is an inkling that maybe the silver spoon user is being weened off the spoon. This was just a glimmer of hope.

• Someone's either having the worst day, or is asking interview questions.

Database goes into Restoring mode

Performance tuning it so critical can any one plz figure it out urgent

How to recover SQL server 2005[Standard] Data base in suspeect mode

So a 2TB database with poor performance that's gone into Recovering mode and is suspect. Or multiple 2TB databases and a pile of disasters

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (9/19/2014)

Someone's either having the worst day, or is asking interview questions.

Database goes into Restoring mode

Performance tuning it so critical can any one plz figure it out urgent

How to recover SQL server 2005[Standard] Data base in suspeect mode

So a 2TB database with poor performance that's gone into Recovering mode and is suspect. Or multiple 2TB databases and a pile of disasters

And by all the multiple other questions he posts, he looks like a junior or accidental DBA that doesn't have the knowledge to even start solving the problems.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • Looks like they're scenarios which the previous DBA has set for him.

i was in to a new organization has to handel the entire setup singly there is no other dba to gv support previous dba who leaves from here given me a scenario

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 45,781 through 45,795 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply