Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (9/2/2014)

"The inserted table only contains the rows inserted into the table. I need rows from other tables as well. Hence I can't use a set-based solution"

Err.. ok...

I think I remember the thread. Walked away since it seemed you had it handled. 😀

• Sean Lange (9/2/2014)

GilaMonster (9/2/2014)

"The inserted table only contains the rows inserted into the table. I need rows from other tables as well. Hence I can't use a set-based solution"

Err.. ok...

Yeah that thread is really scary.

Link??

or maybe i will just continue to turn the other cheek and keep looking over there...

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (9/2/2014)

Err.. ok...

As I said before, don't think he got it. At least we tried:crazy:

😎

• Lynn Pettis (9/2/2014)

Walked away since it seemed you had it handled. 😀

I thought I did. Now, not so sure...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Lynn Pettis (9/2/2014)

GilaMonster (9/2/2014)

Err.. ok...

I think I remember the thread. Walked away since it seemed you had it handled. 😀

bLink

😎

• AARRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!! Someone fire the man. He has no business in this business.

• Lynn Pettis (9/2/2014)

AARRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!! Someone fire the man. He has no business in this business.

Think that here is a proper use for a TERMINATOR:-D

😎

• Time to walk away from another one. Sandbox, all I want is a sandbox.....

• Lynn Pettis (9/2/2014)

AARRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!! Someone fire the man. He has no business in this business.

In my experience nearly 95% of the people in this business actually have the brains to be in this business. Then there are about 4% of those with enough brains that don't have a "give a damn" to learn anything new. That leaves about 1% that have enough drive and brains to actually improve over time. Sadly the other 99% are the ones taking jobs and giving a bad name to the rest of us. You have to make a choice when you run across people like that. Either help them and try not to pop your own eyeballs or see their name as the OP and walk away. There have been many threads over the years were I could have helped that person but because I knew they wouldn't understand it anyway I just walked away. You should try it, it is quite liberating.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Lynn Pettis (9/2/2014)

Am I missing something? Doesn't this error mean that the table or view doesn't exist, not that there is a problem with the WHERE clause?

OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "LS_RDB_DWH_POLICY52" returned message "[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-00942: table or view does not exist".

Well, if the where clause contains a subquery which refers to a table not mentioned elsewhere in the query, the problem in the where clause could be that it refers to a non-existent table.

T-SQL is pretty flexible about allowing such subqueries; it's 20 years since I last touched PL-SQL (in Oracle 6, I think) so I'm certainly not going to look at the problem that comment came from, but I think the same probably applies there, too. I suspect that SQL Server would deliver a more useful error message. Perhaps Oracle wouldn't.

Tom

• Sean Lange (9/2/2014)

Lynn Pettis (9/2/2014)

In my experience nearly 95% of the people in this business actually have the brains to be in this business. Then there are about 4% of those with enough brains that don't have a "give a damn" to learn anything new. That leaves about 1% that have enough drive and brains to actually improve over time.

I'm confused. You mean 96% or 95% is just 1%???? Not when I was in primary school it wasn't, and that's not the sort of thing that changes over he years (not even over that many years). Maybe there's a bigger language barrier between my English and your English that I thought there was?

Regardless of that, though, I think we both agree with Lynn on the unemployability of the man who couldn't imagine a set-based solution.

Tom

• TomThomson (9/2/2014)

Sean Lange (9/2/2014)

Lynn Pettis (9/2/2014)

In my experience nearly 95% of the people in this business actually don't have the brains to be in this business. Then there are about 4% of those with enough brains that don't have a "give a damn" to learn anything new. That leaves about 1% that have enough drive and brains to actually improve over time.

I'm confused. You mean 96% or 95% is just 1%???? Not when I was in primary school it wasn't, and that's not the sort of thing that changes over he years (not even over that many years). Maybe there's a bigger language barrier between my English and your English that I thought there was?

Regardless of that, though, I think we both agree with Lynn on the unemployability of the man who couldn't imagine a set-based solution.

I guess there's a word missing. That will give 95 + 4 + 1 = 100

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • GilaMonster (9/2/2014)

Err.. ok...

Bwahaha! Second funniest thing I've heard this morning.

Here's the first: http://www.red-gate.com/products/dba/sql-monitor/entrypage/worst-dba-days-4/?utm_source=emailmarketing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sqldbabundle&utm_content=day-4&utm_term=E304&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--RZ6K_2-01B2TN2vRLpbTV45ULOnFZ0RTzwnEeEgK0BCeJ4RIQHnMjomI8n5q6RfNI2FjphkScx_laQht1vhqYMbUOHQ&_hsmi=13982098

My (cowboy) hat's off to Steve and Grant for this hilarious and oddly illuminating parody.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• dwain.c (9/2/2014)

GilaMonster (9/2/2014)

Err.. ok...

Bwahaha! Second funniest thing I've heard this morning.

Here's the first: http://www.red-gate.com/products/dba/sql-monitor/entrypage/worst-dba-days-4/?utm_source=emailmarketing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sqldbabundle&utm_content=day-4&utm_term=E304&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--RZ6K_2-01B2TN2vRLpbTV45ULOnFZ0RTzwnEeEgK0BCeJ4RIQHnMjomI8n5q6RfNI2FjphkScx_laQht1vhqYMbUOHQ&_hsmi=13982098

My (cowboy) hat's off to Steve and Grant for this hilarious and oddly illuminating parody.

Favorite line:

"Oh, shut the functional dependency up, Chris. Don't you ever give up?"

My wife keeps telling me I need to stop swearing around the two year old. I'm going to replace swearing with database jargon randomness now...

Flaming Firehose Cursors!

Backwards Compatibility!

Great Moden's Socks!

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (9/3/2014)

My wife keeps telling me I need to stop swearing around the two year old. I'm going to replace swearing with database jargon randomness now...

Flaming Firehose Cursors!

Backwards Compatibility!

Great Moden's Socks!

Surely you mean

Moden's Beard!

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

Viewing 15 posts - 45,406 through 45,420 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply