Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Eirikur Eiriksson (9/2/2014)

Ed Wagner (9/2/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (9/2/2014)

Lynn Pettis (9/2/2014)

Curious how the code that our silver spooner posted even worked. After declaring all the variables I still have a bunch of red squiggly lines.

Total lack of comprehension, SSP's paycheck should be funding our after work pint and beer popsicles

😎

Also lacking is the ability to read what is posted and right in front of them.

You get beer popsicles provided? :w00t:

Unfortunately the contractually provided beer popsicles are limited to 3 per hour, but high quality naturally frozen Dortmunder only, which is a plus;-)

😎

So I guess the real question regarding the limit comes down to the size of each individual popsicle. It might not be a limiting factor. 😉 My guess is that you don't have much of a problem with the "naturally frozen" part of the equation at most times of the year.

• Am I missing something? Doesn't this error mean that the table or view doesn't exist, not that there is a problem with the WHERE clause?

OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "LS_RDB_DWH_POLICY52" returned message "[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-00942: table or view does not exist".

• Lynn Pettis (9/2/2014)

Am I missing something? Doesn't this error mean that the table or view doesn't exist, not that there is a problem with the WHERE clause?

OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "LS_RDB_DWH_POLICY52" returned message "[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-00942: table or view does not exist".

Or maybe insufficient permissions?

But normally not the WHERE clause, no.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (9/2/2014)

Lynn Pettis (9/2/2014)

Am I missing something? Doesn't this error mean that the table or view doesn't exist, not that there is a problem with the WHERE clause?

I had to walk away. Not having access to an Oracle system there is no way to sandbox the issue and come up with a solution. Someone with access to SQL Server and Oracle will need to step up and help or he'll just have to get his learn on and figure it out himself.

• Koen Verbeeck (9/2/2014)

Lynn Pettis (9/2/2014)

It's definitely that either the table/view name is wrong or the user being used to connect doesn't have SELECT permissions on the object. Nothing to do with a WHERE clause. The ORA-00942 has been around for decades and the meaning has never changed. One of the first things I learned in Oracle (v7.3 :w00t:) is how to look up Oracle error codes. The ORA were easier than the PLS, but it's still very elementary stuff.

I don't think they understand anything about what they're doing, but I'm trying.

• Ed Wagner (9/2/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (9/2/2014)

Lynn Pettis (9/2/2014)

It's definitely that either the table/view name is wrong or the user being used to connect doesn't have SELECT permissions on the object. Nothing to do with a WHERE clause. The ORA-00942 has been around for decades and the meaning has never changed. One of the first things I learned in Oracle (v7.3 :w00t:) is how to look up Oracle error codes. The ORA were easier than the PLS, but it's still very elementary stuff.

I don't think they understand anything about what they're doing, but I'm trying.

Eureka! He now reports that it works. My money's on the fact that he was trying to hit the wrong table. Either way, problem solved. It doesn't need to be that hard.

• Lynn Pettis (9/2/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (9/2/2014)

Lynn Pettis (9/2/2014)

I had to walk away. Not having access to an Oracle system there is no way to sandbox the issue and come up with a solution. Someone with access to SQL Server and Oracle will need to step up and help or he'll just have to get his learn on and figure it out himself.

I don't have an Oracle server either. It's been years for me as well and I'm going from memory, which comes with it's own set of challenges at times. Honestly, though, that was pretty simple stuff that should have been easy for him to troubleshoot on his own.

• Ed Wagner (9/2/2014)

...that was pretty simple stuff that should have been easy for him to troubleshoot on his own.

I'm glad that optimism prevails:-D

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (9/2/2014)

Ed Wagner (9/2/2014)

...that was pretty simple stuff that should have been easy for him to troubleshoot on his own.

😎

Thanks, but I guess I spoke too soon. Now he wants a variation that returns the count. He doesn't know the COUNT function? Sigh.

• Ed Wagner (9/2/2014)

Ed Wagner (9/2/2014)

😎

Thanks, but I guess I spoke too soon. Now he wants a variation that returns the count. He doesn't know the COUNT function? Sigh.

Three months experience 27 times over.

Only explanation I can come up with. Personally, I think he is over his head and relies on the internet (read SSC) to do his job.

• "The inserted table only contains the rows inserted into the table. I need rows from other tables as well. Hence I can't use a set-based solution"

Err.. ok...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Ed Wagner (9/2/2014)

Ed Wagner (9/2/2014)

😎

Your brief bliss of unfounded and illogical confidence in SSP is in a way an inspiration; "never give up faith":w00t:

😎

• You'd think it was rocket science or something.

• GilaMonster (9/2/2014)

"The inserted table only contains the rows inserted into the table. I need rows from other tables as well. Hence I can't use a set-based solution"

Err.. ok...

Yeah that thread is really scary.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• GilaMonster (9/2/2014)

"The inserted table only contains the rows inserted into the table. I need rows from other tables as well. Hence I can't use a set-based solution"

Err.. ok...

scratches head and looks the other way:Whistling:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 45,391 through 45,405 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply