Are the posted questions getting worse?

• wolfkillj (9/20/2013)

Jan Van der Eecken (9/20/2013)

Sean Lange (9/20/2013)

wolfkillj (9/20/2013)

... The filibuster ...

I don't think I'm the lone non-US citizen who doesn't quite understand what the Filibuster is all about. The way I understand it is that some Representative keeps on talking (without sitting down) about one or other topic that's up for a vote in the House in order to make sure that the bill in question isn't put up for a vote within a certain allotted time. Am I right?

That is pretty much it. In the US it is only allowed in the Senate. The House has a permanent rule that limits the length of discussion. The Senate however allows for a senator to speak for as long as they wish (about any topic). The only way to avoid a fillibuster is with cloture. I don't remember the numbers but something like 60% of those present have to vote to end the discussion.

Thanks for the clarification, Sean. Didn't know it only applied to the Senate. But the "any" topic seems a bit overboard. This would mean that a Senator could sing about the birds and the bees forever (assuming he/she has a good voice and doesn't drive his/her fellow 99 members out of the room) even when what he/she talks about has no bearing on the vote that's up for consideration. Or am I wrong there?

"Any topic" really means "any topic". Senator Huey Long famously recited Shakespeare and read recipes for "pot likker" during a filibuster.

Just in case you're curious, "pot likker" or "pot liquor" is the water that remains after boiling greens (like turnip greens or collard greens). It has a slight greenish cast and takes on a mild flavor from the greens. It's a key part of the historic/traditional regional cuisine of the southeastern US. It's usually served with cornbread, which is either dipped into the pot liquor or dropped into it and eaten with a spoon after it has absorbed the pot liquor.

Did anyone of his fellow members thank him for the recipe? 😀

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (9/20/2013)

Don't know, but the Congressional Record would include both the recipes and any statements made by other senators in response to them!

Jason Wolfkill

• wolfkillj (9/20/2013)

Don't know, but the Congressional Record would include both the recipes and any statements made by other senators in response to them!

So we should be able to find it in the Library of Congress' on-line index under "The Honourable Senator Huey Long's famous pot likker recipe" 😛

In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

wolfkillj (9/20/2013)

So we should be able to find it in the Library of Congress' on-line index under "The Honourable Senator Huey Long's famous pot likker recipe" 😛

not sure that it was "famous". Or that any search would link "Honourable" with any politician... :w00t:

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

wolfkillj (9/20/2013)

I'd be willing to bet that the *only* results you'd get by searching the Congressional Record for "pot likker" would be Senator Long's remarks.

Jason Wolfkill

• So, could you do the following during a filibuster? Some people have labeled this as "Navy Training". I call it "A Brief History of the Life of a DBA". 😛

http://www.youtube.com/embed/z8qFBvnUGSM

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (9/20/2013)

So, could you do the following during a filibuster? Some people have labeled this as "Navy Training". I call it "A Brief History of the Life of a DBA". 😛

http://www.youtube.com/embed/z8qFBvnUGSM

LOL! Juggling the way he does looks like a DBA's daily bread, and he's awesome at his version of it. But from a filibustering point of view, I guess he'd fail miserably. He missed the point of keeping on talking to start with.

• Jeff Moden (9/20/2013)

So, could you do the following during a filibuster?

If I understand the rules, no - you have to keep talking except for pauses that can be sold to the house as reasonable; he kept his mouth shut, so he wasn't talking - not even in the fairly inactive periods where there was no (reasonable) excuse for not doing so.

Some people have labeled this as "Navy Training". I call it "A Brief History of the Life of a DBA". 😛

I think you are closer to right than those "Some people"; he kept his mouth shut, so the Navy would surely call it "dumb insolence", not "training"? Of course the Army would call it "improperly dressed", and be quite right (the Navy wears the wrong color all the time).

edit: Sorry, for "house" read "senate" (I think; you left Pondians are far too confusing :-P.)

Tom

• Hi Michael

You have a point there, a lot of people does not exert any little effort before posting the questions...

But for me, that how the technology works, it has its side effect, it really depend on a person whether to use technology wisely

And of coarse, the very objective why this site(social site) was created is to help those who are in need no matter how stupid or intelligent the question is..

We should answer them wholeheartedly...

cheers!!..God Speed 🙂

• wolfkillj (9/20/2013)

The filibustering member stops speaking during debate on the point of order but has to follow all the other rules, including remaining standing.

Sounds like some of the scrums I've had to attend.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• enriquezreyjoseph (9/20/2013)

Hi Michael

You have a point there, a lot of people does not exert any little effort before posting the questions...

But for me, that how the technology works, it has its side effect, it really depend on a person whether to use technology wisely

And of coarse, the very objective why this site(social site) was created is to help those who are in need no matter how stupid or intelligent the question is..

cheers!!..God Speed 🙂

The stupid question is one that is not asked.

Sometimes what seems complex is trivial given a different perspective.

One of the things I have seen - if you want to learn, and are willing to put forth some effort, there are many here that will help you.

I know that I am glad I stumbled upon this site several years ago, its helped me learn a lot.

And I have a pretty high degree of trust that if I search for something, if a poor way of doing something is suggested, someone will point out a beter way.

Thanks to all those who contribute!

• Greg Edwards-268690 (9/20/2013)

Jeff Moden (9/20/2013)

Are you good folks saying that any form of SELECT/INTO is bad? If so, why?

I sense a frozen pork chop being readied for launch! :w00t:

Heh... stuffed, rolled, and taking a strain on the bands. 🙂

To be quite serious though, I've seen people still suffering from the carry over of pre-sp1 associated problems (used to lock up Temp DB for the duration) with Version 6.5, which were repaired by a pre-sp1 hotfix and incorporated into the product at 6.5 sp1. There continue to be some "problems" that can take the uninitiated quite by surprise but some have taken to recommending not ever using it and even calling it a "worst practice" (especially the incredibly useful SELECT * version). It's very good at the things that Tom suggested it's good at and can be a key element in high performance "Divide'n'Conquer" methods if the Temp Table doesn't need an index.

As a bit of a side bar, most (there are always exceptions) Temp Tables shouldn't need an index because, hopefully, you've only captured the rows that will be used to solve whatever the problem is and a full table scan can actually be more efficient in many of those cases as demonstrated in, IIRC, the first "Hierarchies on Steroids" article I wrote (it was a real table, in that case).

Getting back on the subject, I just wanted to make sure that people hadn't taken up the general mantra of condemning the use of SELECT/INTO and if they had, I wanted to find out why.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• CapnHector (9/20/2013)

Jeff Moden (9/20/2013)

hisakimatama (9/20/2013)

*Huff* *Wheeze* I... I did it! I managed to read the entirety of The Thread! That was... Interesting :-D. Been lurking around here, being generally amazed at the questions posted and everyone's unwavering insistence on being helpful despite the odds. The community here is great indeed.

I may chime in here a bit here and there, if you all won't mind, and if the rollercoaster of subjects strikes my fancy. Hopefully I won't eat a high-velocity pork chop or two in the near future 🙂

Anyone that understands the impact (no pun intended) of high-velocity pork chops is certainly welcome to the proverbial water cooler. Welcome aboard! 🙂

I have been gone for a while but am now coming back in a time of crisis. One of my developers looks to have nuked a third party vendor application with some front end changes that are stored in the DB and i may have to fix it with a restore from last nights backup. Good news is i think i can fix it.

Jeff can i borrow your pork chop cannon?

Maybe. My recommendation would be to have the developer belt-loop you during the restoration and turn it into an informative and friendly mentor session. Of course, it should be done without compensation for the time spent during the restoration if it's a contractor or if it has to be done after hours because that's also one of the lessons to be learned here.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Greg Edwards-268690 (9/20/2013)

enriquezreyjoseph (9/20/2013)

Hi Michael

cheers!!..God Speed 🙂

The stupid question is one that is not asked.

Sometimes what seems complex is trivial given a different perspective.

One of the things I have seen - if you want to learn, and are willing to put forth some effort, there are many here that will help you.

I know that I am glad I stumbled upon this site several years ago, its helped me learn a lot.

And I have a pretty high degree of trust that if I search for something, if a poor way of doing something is suggested, someone will point out a beter way.

Thanks to all those who contribute!

Hi Greg..

very well said...yeah you are extremely right :-)..

cheers my friend 😉

• hisakimatama (9/20/2013)

*Huff* *Wheeze* I... I did it! I managed to read the entirety of The Thread! That was... Interesting :-D. Been lurking around here, being generally amazed at the questions posted and everyone's unwavering insistence on being helpful despite the odds. The community here is great indeed.

I may chime in here a bit here and there, if you all won't mind, and if the rollercoaster of subjects strikes my fancy. Hopefully I won't eat a high-velocity pork chop or two in the near future 🙂

Congratulations! How long did it take you to read the entire thread?

Welcome to the Water Cooler!

Viewing 15 posts - 41,341 through 41,355 (of 66,560 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply