Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Mark-101232 (5/4/2012)

Sean Lange (5/3/2012)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2012)

SSC is at 1,499,895 and counting!

Wow if the same rate continues we should hit 1.5M by the end of the day today or certainly tomorrow.

Now standing at 1,500,114., congrats to Steve!

Thanks, it's been a wild ride.

• Mark-101232 (5/4/2012)

Sean Lange (5/3/2012)

Lynn Pettis (5/3/2012)

SSC is at 1,499,895 and counting!

Wow if the same rate continues we should hit 1.5M by the end of the day today or certainly tomorrow.

Now standing at 1,500,114., congrats to Steve!

Congratulations to all of the SQLServerCentral.com founders!!!

Let's go for the next 1.5M.

"El" Jerry.

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.[/url]

• L' Eomot Inversรฉ (5/3/2012)

The Dixie Flatline (5/3/2012)

However, I reserve and defend the right to continue "snarking" here in The Thread. ๐Ÿ˜€

Snarking is fair enough, but I hope "boojuming" is banned. :rolleyes:

I would have replied sooner, Tom, but I suddenly and mysteriously vanished away.

I wanted to ask: Is bandersnatch a verb?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• The Dixie Flatline (5/7/2012)

L' Eomot Inversรฉ (5/3/2012)

However, I reserve and defend the right to continue "snarking" here in The Thread. ๐Ÿ˜€

I would have replied sooner, Tom, but I suddenly and mysteriously vanished away.

Any English noun can apparenlty be used as a verb, as in "Pleasure her more tonight..." ๐Ÿ˜€

• Revenant (5/7/2012)

The Dixie Flatline (5/7/2012)

L' Eomot Inversรฉ (5/3/2012)

Any English noun can apparenlty be used as a verb, as in "Pleasure her more tonight..." ๐Ÿ˜€

Now you mention it, seems you are quite right. Wouldn't happen in German or Flemish (Afrikaans, yes, maybe), there would always be an "n" or "en" at the end, at least in the infinite form of the verb. Koen or Johan, correct me if I'm wrong.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Would certainly be great fun writing writing a CLR UDF in C. Maybe with a bit of embedded ASM inside? I'm sure it can be done. :w00t:

In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (5/7/2012)

Would certainly be great fun writing writing a CLR UDF in C. Maybe with a bit of embedded ASM inside? I'm sure it can be done. :w00t:

Don't bet your shirt on that. If it is not .NET, it is considered highly unsafe and the engine will not register the assembly.

The only way around it -- don't quote me on that <g> --, would be to run a managed C++ assembly that would call an unmanaged assembly. It may or may not work, just a speculation.

In general, ASM assemblies have to be hand-tuned for each processor, or at least a family of processors. You would be beter off if you called, for example, the Intel math library to do what you want to do.

• Revenant (5/7/2012)

Jan Van der Eecken (5/7/2012)

Would certainly be great fun writing writing a CLR UDF in C. Maybe with a bit of embedded ASM inside? I'm sure it can be done. :w00t:

Don't bet your shirt on that. If it is not .NET, it is considered highly unsafe and the engine will not register the assembly.

Problem solved:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms379617%28v=vs.80%29.aspx

ASM maybe, but it would have to be unsafe CLR.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (5/7/2012)

Revenant (5/7/2012)

Problem solved:

Do not do that, because before you accept an unsafe assembly, you have to drop several walls protecting the server.

On a second thought, you could do it if the server is on an Intranet and behind a reliable firewall, and you have a written guarantee, signed by your boss who could be fired if that is not true, that there will be no attempt to attack assembly trust vulnerabilities.

• GilaMonster (5/7/2012)

Revenant (5/7/2012)

Problem solved:

Hey, I never suggested it had to be marked as SAFE ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Revenant (5/7/2012)

The only way around it -- don't quote me on that <g> --, would be to run a managed C++ assembly that would call an unmanaged assembly. It may or may not work, just a speculation.

That's what I was insinuating ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Doens't have to be managed C++ BTW, C# or VB.NET that thunks "down" should do just fine ๐Ÿ˜€

Edit: Thought I'd better put quotes around "down". My fellow C programmers might have an issue without them ๐Ÿ˜›

• Jan Van der Eecken (5/7/2012)

GilaMonster (5/7/2012)

Revenant (5/7/2012)

Problem solved:

Hey, I never suggested it had to be marked as SAFE ๐Ÿ˜‰

I guess it is because I am on an app that has thousands of attacks per day. So please bear with me if you found me seemingly anal-retentive.

• Revenant (5/7/2012)

GilaMonster (5/7/2012)

Revenant (5/7/2012)

Problem solved:

Do not do that, because before you accept an unsafe assembly, you have to drop several walls protecting the server.

On a second thought, you could do it if the server is on an Intranet and behind a reliable firewall, and you have a written guarantee, signed by your boss who could be fired if that is not true, that there will be no attempt to attack assembly trust vulnerabilities.

I wasn't exactly making a serious suggestion...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (5/7/2012)

Revenant (5/7/2012)

GilaMonster (5/7/2012)

Revenant (5/7/2012)

Problem solved:

I wasn't exactly making a serious suggestion...

(premature click on Post)

Thanks, Gail. As I indicated in my later post, I am really freaked about security because security guys are the only ones who can veto any of my architectural decisions, and they do, often.

Viewing 15 posts - 35,941 through 35,955 (of 66,646 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply