Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Anybody know whst the acronym vWOC means? I hate email letters that fail to define terms and then go to a questionnaire page before you can even get the article or white paper where it is hopefully defined.

Edit: had a typo, vWOV, should have been vWOC.

• Found it: virtual WAN optimization controllers.

• Lynn Pettis (3/29/2012)

Found it: virtual WAN optimization controllers.

*phew*, because I didn't think you were necessarily getting emails about Dutch Schoolbus companies

vWOV = "Vereniging Werkgevers Openbaar Vervoer" (Dutch: Public Transport Employers Association)

Steve

• herladygeekedness (3/29/2012)

Very visual crowd. If they couldn't see it, it didn't exist. Which also led to "build it and then I'll tell you if that's what I want...."

Ah, yes. I know your workplace well.

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2006-01-29/[/url]

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (3/29/2012)

Greg Edwards-268690 (3/29/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (3/29/2012)

Just spent time in a meeting being reminded that people using the same terms do not always mean the same thing. Interesting effect that has on a project.

I can't really talk about the discussion, but here's a database metaphor as an example: "A" and "a" really aren't the same thing.

<headdesk>

On my SQL server, they are pretty much the same.

That's part of my point. Case insensitivity doesn't mean that a=A. It means that SQL ignores the difference between the two.

If someone says "a" in a conversation, did I really hear "a"? Or did I hear "A"? Or maybe even I heard "eh". Even taking into account the tonal differences and emphasis people put on a word or a letter, I still can hear something different from what they are thinking they mean when the say it.

Embarrassing example: When I was at a Junior High dance, my fellow students started chanting to the cover band, calling for a specific type of music. I didn't listen to music, so I what I heard was "oreo." Could not figure out what cookies had to do with the school dance, but whatever. Turns out they wanted to hear "REO" covers (as in "REO Speedwagon").

Well, today, I find out that A <> a and what I thought I agreed to in yesterday's meeting was not at all what other people agreed to.

People actually chanted for REO Speedwagon covers? I have a hard time believing that. ๐Ÿ˜›

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    Itโ€™s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Whatโ€™s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (3/29/2012)

Greg Edwards-268690 (3/29/2012)

Just spent time in a meeting being reminded that people using the same terms do not always mean the same thing. Interesting effect that has on a project.

I can't really talk about the discussion, but here's a database metaphor as an example: "A" and "a" really aren't the same thing.

<headdesk>

On my SQL server, they are pretty much the same.

That's part of my point. Case insensitivity doesn't mean that a=A. It means that SQL ignores the difference between the two.

If someone says "a" in a conversation, did I really hear "a"? Or did I hear "A"? Or maybe even I heard "eh". Even taking into account the tonal differences and emphasis people put on a word or a letter, I still can hear something different from what they are thinking they mean when the say it.

Embarrassing example: When I was at a Junior High dance, my fellow students started chanting to the cover band, calling for a specific type of music. I didn't listen to music, so I what I heard was "oreo." Could not figure out what cookies had to do with the school dance, but whatever. Turns out they wanted to hear "REO" covers (as in "REO Speedwagon").

Well, today, I find out that A <> a and what I thought I agreed to in yesterday's meeting was not at all what other people agreed to.

People actually chanted for REO Speedwagon covers? I have a hard time believing that. ๐Ÿ˜›

clearly times were different.

If I heard it as "Oreos" today, I would be making a beeline...

• Brandie Tarvin (3/29/2012)

herladygeekedness (3/29/2012)

Very visual crowd. If they couldn't see it, it didn't exist. Which also led to "build it and then I'll tell you if that's what I want...."

Ah, yes. I know your workplace well.

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2006-01-29/[/url]

I did have that on my wall there, as I worked there when that one showed up. I had a massive collection of dead-on Dilberts there. It helped to remind me that I wasn't crazy, the environment was. So long as I could still find the humor, I figured I'd be ok.

One tiny line I remember from the Dilbert Peer Review Generator when we were playing with it circa 2000: "his value to the company is without measure". I used that years later in an actual peer review at the museum for the (#%&@&)@$ that was our network guy. Anything I wrote wouldn't have mattered one way or the other so I saw fit to amuse myself and resist saying somethign not nice.

It's very strange these days to have Dilbert NOT apply to my workplace since it Always did. I keep thinking I'm going to find the hidden bs here any day now, but after 10 months, it's either that this place really IS different, or it's so benign as to be unrecognizable. dunno. I'm happy, won't go looking for snakes under rocks.

• Lynn Pettis (3/29/2012)

Anybody know whst the acronym vWOC means? I hate email letters that fail to define terms and then go to a questionnaire page before you can even get the article or white paper where it is hopefully defined.

Edit: had a typo, vWOV, should have been vWOC.

Well, yes, I know what vwoc means (I used to own a vw) but the thing I know almost certainly isn't what your were hit by.

Tom

• I'm back, everyone have a good week?

• Very busy week more like it.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Need some help here. Have occassional insert failures from a VB .NET app that checks later and finds the records missing. Errors are not properly reporting to the application.

I've exhausted my knowledge of VB.NET and the interfacing at this point. Inquirer needs a VB.NET expert (or at least master, I'm at best kicking around at journeyman status) with MS SQL Experience to help figure out where the errors are being lost at.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• I read the end of that and I am not getting involved...

Initial gut feel - improper transaction management (leaves transactions open) combined with connection pooling. Connection gets discarded from pool and data that should have been committed and was thought committed suddenly vanishes.

If so, they'll see open transactions from the DMVs, possible log growth and locking (unless everything's running with nolock). It's a code problem, SQL doesn't just discard data randomly and if it was corruption they would know about it (connections getting closed with sev 24 errors)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (3/30/2012)

Initial gut feel - improper transaction management (leaves transactions open) combined with connection pooling. Connection gets discarded from pool and data that should have been committed and was thought committed suddenly vanishes.

I think that is most probably the case. I think they need to go back and fix the code.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (3/30/2012)

I read the end of that and I am not getting involved...

If so, they'll see open transactions from the DMVs, possible log growth and locking (unless everything's running with nolock). It's a code problem, SQL doesn't just discard data randomly and if it was corruption they would know about it (connections getting closed with sev 24 errors)

Makes sense and was another possibility I'd thought of, but I don't have the front end app experience to help them directly or to even confirm that's the malfunction.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (3/30/2012)

Need some help here. Have occassional insert failures from a VB .NET app that checks later and finds the records missing. Errors are not properly reporting to the application.

I've exhausted my knowledge of VB.NET and the interfacing at this point. Inquirer needs a VB.NET expert (or at least master, I'm at best kicking around at journeyman status) with MS SQL Experience to help figure out where the errors are being lost at.

i looked at that one and went "looks like i have alot more to learn"

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 35,071 through 35,085 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply