Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis (1/5/2012)

Ninja's_RGR'us (1/5/2012)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/5/2012)

In terms of depreciation, it sucks, but it's real. The value of your stuff is lower over time, and if you had to replace it, you'd get something better for full value. It stinks with insurance, but they aren't replacing the functionality, they're replacing the value.

I agree with anything electronic or with moving parts but what I'm POed about is stuff like high quality wood bedroom set. That alone was worth 6K+ 2 years ago. It is as close quality wise as my parents' set which has now lasted over 40 years with no sign of fatigue.

Don't come in and try telling me it's lost 30-40% value overnight.

By their current estimate this thing will be good for the dumpster by year 5 (assuming linear deterioration). It's not like I'm hosting cirque du Soleil shows in there every night.

Check your policy. My homeowners and renters insurance policies cover replacement cost, not value of what may be lost. Yes, I have both, ex has the house and I rent an apartment.

Speaking of that... you'd enjoy the bumper sticker I saw the other day.

"I miss my ex... but my aim is getting better." 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Brandie Tarvin (1/5/2012)

Assuming you didn't know any of the participants in this conversation or understand the purpose of The Thread, how many of you would view comments posted by other Threadzians as a reason to NOT hire us? And if that's the case, what particular subject or phrasing would make you think of us as potential "bad employees"?

Heh... the only thing that might count against us is how much time we actually spend at the "water cooler".

Steve... any chance of getting a "thread count" for 2011?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Stefan Krzywicki (1/5/2012)

jcrawf02 (1/5/2012)

Brandie, not sure what you're referring to exactly, but nothing I've seen on the Thread would make me decide to not hire someone. Make them question my sense of humor, perhaps. 😉

I agree, I think most venting that goes on in this thread is pretty recognizable as venting and not as badmouthing a company.

Thank goodness I'm too lazy to type everything that I'm thinking. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Brandie Tarvin (1/5/2012)

I don't know if anyone's posted this or not (my memory fails me after working a 22 hour shift):

"Whatta ya mean it's 2012? I'm not done with 2011 yet. Bring it back!"

One of my favorite replies when someone asks me "How was your New Year?" is "Dunno... it's not over, yet." 🙂

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• SQL Kiwi (1/5/2012)

Jack Corbett (1/5/2012)

Have had a discussion with Aaron Bertrand about case-sensitivity recently.

You knows he's super-anti-underscores?

Makes two of us.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• And we dedicate this page to Jeff (pork chop launcher, Evil Santa or something like that and most posts on this page 😉 )

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (1/5/2012)

And we dedicate this page to Jeff (pork chop launcher, Evil Santa or something like that and most posts on this page 😉 )

"For He's a Jolly Good Fellow ..."

• Jeff Moden (1/5/2012)

SQL Kiwi (1/5/2012)

Jack Corbett (1/5/2012)

Makes two of us.

Worldwide? 😉 😛 😀

• SQL Kiwi (1/5/2012)

Jeff Moden (1/5/2012)

SQL Kiwi (1/5/2012)

Jack Corbett (1/5/2012)

Makes two of us.

Worldwide? 😉 😛 😀

No way. On the projects that I lead or QA'd, you will not find a single name with underscores. Not that I would ever lean on my team to adhere to my personal preferences -- it just happens that they conclude, no pressure, ... 🙂

Serious: not a single underscore in 8 years and counting.

• I hate underscores. I hate all caps naming. I have a special hatred for what I have in a system at the moment:

INSURANCECAMPAIGNREVIEW_STARTDATE

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Stefan Krzywicki (1/5/2012)

Speaking of venting vaguely, don't you just love when there's a third party tool (maybe even made by another group in your company) with a database you can't modify and they have tables with fields like

UserData1 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData2 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData3 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData4 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData5 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData6 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData7 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData8 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData9 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData10 varchar(1000) NULL

I suppose that's better than varchar(max)...

My "favorite" is a recent rash of CREATE TABLE statements where all columns are nullable except for the Identity column.

When I verbally smack people for that, the response I get is "but we're taking care of the data verification in the stored proc code." To which my response is "Well, that's all fine and dandy, but what about the data that can get inserted without use of the stored proc, like SSIS or an ad-hoc query? I won't let you create this table unless you define which columns, other than the Identity/PK are required. There has to be at least one."

Am I the only person who hates the idea of an entirely NULL rowset with only an Identity in it?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Evil Kraig F (1/5/2012)

One of the things we almost have to discuss is issues and problems. The trick is who are you throwing under the bus when you discuss it.

If for example I stroll in and start venting about Coca-Cola having too much damned sugar for the database to handle, and they're going to crash and burn because I'm looking at how the databases are self-destructing, this would be a problem. It's both insider information being distributed in a bad way without attempting to allow the company to correct it and I'm throwing my employer under the bus.

If I start up a discussion on the soda industry and discuss the problems I'm having keeping sugar in the database and how it's restricting my ability to work and I'm trying to find solutions, I'm good to go.

If I start complaining that either of those are making me crazy because I can't get their advertising jingles out of my head they have no right to give a flip. 😀

This is exactly the discussion that I'm talking about. It's nice to hear everyone else's opinion on the subject, but I'm wondering if anyone has caught themselves venting in a way that throws a bad light on their company.

The thing is, some of the news examples (none of which I can remember off the top of my head) of people getting fired over the whole social network thing were situations where the people in question weren't venting about the company itself or sharing insider secrets, but they still got fired because their opinions contradicted the image and brand their employer likes to maintain.

This last point is why I was curious how an outsiders view of The Thread affects hiring decisions.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (1/6/2012)

...Am I the only person who hates the idea of an entirely NULL rowset with only an Identity in it?

A polititian? :hehe:

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• Brandie Tarvin (1/6/2012)

Stefan Krzywicki (1/5/2012)

Speaking of venting vaguely, don't you just love when there's a third party tool (maybe even made by another group in your company) with a database you can't modify and they have tables with fields like

UserData1 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData2 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData3 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData4 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData5 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData6 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData7 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData8 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData9 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData10 varchar(1000) NULL

I suppose that's better than varchar(max)...

My "favorite" is a recent rash of CREATE TABLE statements where all columns are nullable except for the Identity column.

When I verbally smack people for that, the response I get is "but we're taking care of the data verification in the stored proc code." To which my response is "Well, that's all fine and dandy, but what about the data that can get inserted without use of the stored proc, like SSIS or an ad-hoc query? I won't let you create this table unless you define which columns, other than the Identity/PK are required. There has to be at least one."

Am I the only person who hates the idea of an entirely NULL rowset with only an Identity in it?

I actually avoid null columns as much as I can (without going insane with this and building humpteenth extra tables).

So that guy would have gotten a smack from me too.

• GilaMonster (1/6/2012)

I hate underscores. I hate all caps naming. I have a special hatred for what I have in a system at the moment:

INSURANCECAMPAIGNREVIEW_STARTDATE

+1 on the hating underscores - and I have a database with no naming consistency whatsoever to deal with (vendor application, can't change it).

I hate all caps even more than I hate underscores, with the sole exception of constants in application code.

And Gail? I'm so conditioned to see all caps as constants that my first reaction to that obnoxious name above was "why would you make a start date a constant?" 🙂

-Ki

Viewing 15 posts - 33,256 through 33,270 (of 66,588 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply