Are the posted questions getting worse?

• All caps in the naming convention sucks. Using the "_" in the naming convention can make things more understandable at a glance, but makes it a major pain when typing queries. Which is why I also prefer the CamelCase method. Makes it easy enough to read and understand and easy to type. Although I can also see where that would be a pain in a case-sensitive database. Luckily, I haven't had to work with such a database. Yet.

-- Kit

• Koen Verbeeck (1/5/2012)

Thanks again everyone for their congratulations!

You're the daddy!

Well done dude. You know those little foam things you put in your ears when you're clay-pigeon shooting? Get some!

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• Kit G (1/6/2012)

All caps in the naming convention sucks. Using the "_" in the naming convention can make things more understandable at a glance, but makes it a major pain when typing queries. Which is why I also prefer the CamelCase method. Makes it easy enough to read and understand and easy to type. Although I can also see where that would be a pain in a case-sensitive database. Luckily, I haven't had to work with such a database. Yet.

Yup CS server is a big PITA.

I'd say that 20-50% of the scripts out there won't work right off the bat on the CS server (especially the longer ones).

• Ninja's_RGR'us (1/6/2012)

Kit G (1/6/2012)

All caps in the naming convention sucks. Using the "_" in the naming convention can make things more understandable at a glance, but makes it a major pain when typing queries. Which is why I also prefer the CamelCase method. Makes it easy enough to read and understand and easy to type. Although I can also see where that would be a pain in a case-sensitive database. Luckily, I haven't had to work with such a database. Yet.

I'd say that 20-50% of the scripts out there won't work right off the bat on the CS server (especially the longer ones).

And I am just glad that the DB2 AS400 I also have to deal with is not CS.

Take that back - not for some things.

Saw a good tag line today to get a humerous start to the day.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't.:-D

• Greg Edwards-268690 (1/6/2012)

Ninja's_RGR'us (1/6/2012)

Kit G (1/6/2012)

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't.:-D

I always wanted to do that on a big stage (like humor show), just to easily spot all the programmers (computer savy) in the room.

• Ninja's_RGR'us (1/6/2012)

Greg Edwards-268690 (1/6/2012)

Ninja's_RGR'us (1/6/2012)

Kit G (1/6/2012)

I always wanted to do that on a big stage (like humor show), just to easily spot all the programmers (computer savy) in the room.

Visions of big screen of Assembly language...to spot the older geek in the crowd.

Happy Friday everyone!

• Case insensitive vs case sensitive, one of the reasons I write all my queries and t-sql code as if everything was case sensitive. Don't have to worry about it that way.

• Revenant (1/6/2012)

SQL Kiwi (1/5/2012)

Jeff Moden (1/5/2012)

SQL Kiwi (1/5/2012)

Jack Corbett (1/5/2012)

Have had a discussion with Aaron Bertrand about case-sensitivity recently.

You knows he's super-anti-underscores?

Makes two of us.

Worldwide? ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜€

No way. On the projects that I lead or QA'd, you will not find a single name with underscores. Not that I would ever lean on my team to adhere to my personal preferences -- it just happens that they conclude, no pressure, ... ๐Ÿ™‚

Serious: not a single underscore in 8 years and counting.

I don't like underscores, but I have no compelling argument to get people who like them to stop using them. I never use them myself and I remove them when I have the chance, but I don't always have that chance.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    Itโ€™s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Whatโ€™s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Brandie Tarvin (1/6/2012)

Stefan Krzywicki (1/5/2012)

Speaking of venting vaguely, don't you just love when there's a third party tool (maybe even made by another group in your company) with a database you can't modify and they have tables with fields like

UserData1 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData2 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData3 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData4 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData5 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData6 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData7 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData8 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData9 varchar(1000) NULL

UserData10 varchar(1000) NULL

I suppose that's better than varchar(max)...

My "favorite" is a recent rash of CREATE TABLE statements where all columns are nullable except for the Identity column.

When I verbally smack people for that, the response I get is "but we're taking care of the data verification in the stored proc code." To which my response is "Well, that's all fine and dandy, but what about the data that can get inserted without use of the stored proc, like SSIS or an ad-hoc query? I won't let you create this table unless you define which columns, other than the Identity/PK are required. There has to be at least one."

Am I the only person who hates the idea of an entirely NULL rowset with only an Identity in it?

Nope, I'd politely suggest that they should think about the data more and include NOT NULL for some of the columns to let future users know what's important just by looking at the table structure. Sometimes that works, sometimes you have to reach for a bigger bat.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    Itโ€™s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Whatโ€™s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

My "favorite" is a recent rash of CREATE TABLE statements where all columns are nullable except for the Identity column.

Hey, some tables like that are OK. The only non-nullabble column in my Tally table is an integer primary key, and in the bad old days (no ROW_NUMBER()) it was an Identity column. :hehe:

When I verbally smack people for that, the response I get is "but we're taking care of the data verification in the stored proc code." To which my response is "Well, that's all fine and dandy, but what about the data that can get inserted without use of the stored proc, like SSIS or an ad-hoc query? I won't let you create this table unless you define which columns, other than the Identity/PK are required. There has to be at least one."

If the security is done right there is no mechanism other than calling the stored proc for inserting or altering rows, so that's not always a good argument. But there is an absolutely solid argument: as much as possible should be done declaratively even if it's also done procedurally, so apart from the trivial exception of a tally table there should be some constraints other than the primary key constraint. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Am I the only person who hates the idea of an entirely NULL rowset with only an Identity in it?

Probably not; but although I agree that in 99.9% of cases when you see that it will turn out that it's unjustifiable bad design, there are (extremely) rare cases where it is in fact good design, eg here's something that seems reasonable :alien:

create table brek (

brekID int identity(1,1) primary key

, m int null references meat(meatID)

, v int null references veg(vegID)

, constraint CK_brek CHECK (m is not NULL or v is not NULL)

, constraint UQ_brek unique(m,v)

)

I like disallowing nulls, but sometimes it implies too many tables, too many joins, too much code, and doesn't avoid the nulls anyway (because you need to use outer join to combine the many tables and that brings nulls back, or you need an outer union to combine them and as well as bringing nulls back that has to be hand coded because T-SQL has no outer union operator).

Tom

• At the risk of being virtually lynched, I can see the use in underscores in table names and especially in constraint names.

I shall now run away and hide before anyone finds the pork chop launcher.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Jeff Moden (1/5/2012)

Steve... any chance of getting a "thread count" for 2011?

Posts by year? Sure, I'll query it.

At the risk of being virtually lynched, I can see the use in underscores in table names and especially in constraint names.

I shall now run away and hide before anyone finds the pork chop launcher.

Hey if the DTA uses it it must be good to use in production, right?

:hehe:

• GilaMonster (1/6/2012)

I hate underscores. I hate all caps naming. I have a special hatred for what I have in a system at the moment:

INSURANCECAMPAIGNREVIEW_STARTDATE

Don't hate, but I find it hard to read. I prefer

InsuranceCampaignReviewStartDate

• Since inception, here are the posts

Year Mo Posts

Viewing 15 posts - 33,271 through 33,285 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply