Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Fal (7/6/2011)

anyone with a minor dose of manners and a sense of humor is invited.

Please, kind Ladies and Gents, will you indulge me in a joke?

"Knock knock..."

Uhoh...

Who's there? (wince)

EDIT: Gail, you is a funny girl! @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Stuart Davies (7/6/2011)

Contracting to me is a double edge sword, on one hand you have more money - but you are looking out for your next job half way through your contract, permie work you thinking that you were contracting and earning more money.

Depending how you arrange things, in the UK you can also end up paying employers taxes along with your employees taxes. Then you have to pay any expenses (books, software, hotels etc.) out of your take home pay

I normally work as W2 so the agency takes care of employer taxes and deals with all of my withholding as well. In addition, that way they take care of billing and "float" my paycheck so I get paid on a regular schedule instead of having to wait for the company to get around to paying its bills. I make a little less as a W2 employee, but I consider it a fee well paid to not have to deal with all those things or the footwork in finding a new job from scratch.

As far as starting to look for a new position, most contracts go longer than the 3 months they're originally slated for, I usually start looking for a new position around a month before the current one ends. That way if I find something, I don't have to leave the new position early as most employers aren't willing to wait more than a month for you to start.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• All you Aussies and Kiwis stay safe, just heard of a tsumani warning for northeast New Zealand and Australia (East Cape and Auckland).

-- Kit

• Kit G (7/6/2011)

All you Aussies and Kiwis stay safe, just heard of a tsumani warning for northeast New Zealand and Australia (East Cape and Auckland).

ditto. Just saw that come through.

• Kit G (7/6/2011)

All you Aussies and Kiwis stay safe, just heard of a tsumani warning for northeast New Zealand and Australia (East Cape and Auckland).

Hopefully it will only be small, but it is a worry. Nothing but shakes recently it seems πŸ™

• Brandie Tarvin (7/6/2011)

Fal (7/6/2011)

anyone with a minor dose of manners and a sense of humor is invited.

Please, kind Ladies and Gents, will you indulge me in a joke?

"Knock knock..."

Uhoh...

Who's there? (wince)

EDIT: Gail, you is a funny girl! @=)

Well, I did have a hilarious! punch line all worked out. But then Gail went and ruined it all. :angry:

Steve.

• Kit G (7/6/2011)

Currently no threat to Australia as of this morning. But I believe NZ is still under threat.

"There is no Tsunami threat to Australia.

[updated at 5:19 AM EST on Thursday 07 July 2011 ] "

Steve.

• I heard the Tsunami warning for NZ was canceled as well, with no harm done to everyone.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Fal (7/6/2011)

Well, I did have a hilarious! punch line all worked out. But then Gail went and ruined it all. :angry:

Major apologies. Was not my intention. Please, post punchline. There's always need for more bad SQL jokes.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • opc.three (7/6/2011)

I have thanked you many times before in these forums and it goes without saying that there were no doubts as to your deservedness but I must say it too, congrats Jeff on your MVP renewal and thanks for all you do!

You have, indeed, Orlando. Thank you for those and for this.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• David Burrows (7/6/2011)

Jeff Moden (7/5/2011)

This turned into a "watercooler" thread a long time ago and anyone with a minor dose of manners and a sense of humor is invited.

Damn! Counts me out twice. I'll close the door on my way out :crying:

Heh... I beg to differ. You put up with me so well that you've used a picture of me for your Avatar. πŸ˜›

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• ALZDBA (7/3/2011)

It's great to see many of SSC addicts have been granted MVP once more.

Congratulations to you all.

Dang... I missed this one on the first pass. Thank you, Sir. I've gotta say it again... it was a real pleasure to meet you in person last year.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (7/7/2011)

ALZDBA (7/3/2011)

Dang... I missed this one on the first pass. Thank you, Sir. I've gotta say it again... it was a real pleasure to meet you in person last year.

Keeping up with The Thread is a hard job :hehe:

Scanning and hoping your eye catches the stuff of your interest is the gamble one has to take 😎

btw: I still hope you can squeeze in at SQLPass this year :Whistling:

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution πŸ˜€

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• ALZDBA (7/7/2011)

Jeff Moden (7/7/2011)

ALZDBA (7/3/2011)

Keeping up with The Thread is a hard job :hehe:

Scanning and hoping your eye catches the stuff of your interest is the gamble one has to take 😎

btw: I still hope you can squeeze in at SQLPass this year :Whistling:

Yeah, the indexing on The Thread is definitely broken. It's all "bookmark lookups" and "out of date stats" and the fragmentation on the "subject under discussion" and "responses to posts" indexes are just outrageous!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (7/7/2011)

Yeah, the indexing on The Thread is definitely broken. It's all "bookmark lookups" and "out of date stats" and the fragmentation on the "subject under discussion" and "responses to posts" indexes are just outrageous!

So it's just a heap then πŸ˜€

But a heap of what?

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

Viewing 15 posts - 27,856 through 27,870 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply