Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (7/7/2011)

Fal (7/6/2011)

Well, I did have a hilarious! punch line all worked out. But then Gail went and ruined it all. :angry:

Major apologies. Was not my intention. Please, post punchline. There's always need for more bad SQL jokes.

No no, don't get me wrong. My tongue was firmly in my cheek when I posted that. I did think I may get in too late and someone would beat me to it, though I was going to obfuscate it by saying "Espie" and waiting for an unsuspecting someone to come back with "Espie who?".

However I will continue the corny cliches with a poem:

Roses are red,

Violets are blue,

My Knock Knock was funny,

But the credit's to you.

😉

Steve.

• David Burrows (7/7/2011)

GSquared (7/7/2011)

Yeah, the indexing on The Thread is definitely broken. It's all "bookmark lookups" and "out of date stats" and the fragmentation on the "subject under discussion" and "responses to posts" indexes are just outrageous!

So it's just a heap then 😀

But a heap of what?

a heap of unstructured asynchrone conversations :hehe::w00t:

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• SQLkiwi (7/5/2011)

Just so we're all clear on this, I'm interested in how you justify things like attending the summit to the person paying. I have heard of some people having 'difficult' discussions with their employer over the relative merits.

The first trip is the hard one. The second and subsequent trips should be easy. You ought to be able to point to something you learned or a contact you made or an idea you got from attending that made a substantial difference in your business. One that wouldn't have come up any other way or only would have come up slowly. I have tons of those now.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• ALZDBA (7/7/2011)

David Burrows (7/7/2011)

GSquared (7/7/2011)

Yeah, the indexing on The Thread is definitely broken. It's all "bookmark lookups" and "out of date stats" and the fragmentation on the "subject under discussion" and "responses to posts" indexes are just outrageous!

So it's just a heap then 😀

But a heap of what?

a heap of unstructured asynchrone conversations :hehe::w00t:

It would also appear that the constraint "Anything that is NOT about SQL!" is failing.

Steve.

• Fal (7/7/2011)

GilaMonster (7/7/2011)

Fal (7/6/2011)

Well, I did have a hilarious! punch line all worked out. But then Gail went and ruined it all. :angry:

Major apologies. Was not my intention. Please, post punchline. There's always need for more bad SQL jokes.

No no, don't get me wrong. My tongue was firmly in my cheek when I posted that.

Oh good. I was worried I'd really upset someone that time. I've heard (but don't recall) some other SQL knock-knock jokes, and there's tonnes of 'X walked into a bar' type of SQL jokes.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Back to attending the Summit...

Now that I'm working as a contractor, I'm still debating attending the Summit. I think it is a worthwhile investment because of the content and the networking, but I have to decide is I can afford that investment at this time. Counting lost income, because I'm a contractor, it is a very significant amount. When October comes I'll be kicking myself if I don't go, but when December comes (Christmas) I'll be kicking myself if I do go. Having moved from FL back to NH another incentive to go is to see many of my FL friends who attend the Summit, plus the Twitter/SSC folks.

Regardless of if you are a contractor/consultant or a regular employee, you are responsible for your professional development. So, why aren't we all putting some money away every pay period to be able to go to conferences and classes. I know I need to start.

• Jack Corbett (7/7/2011)

...I'm still debating attending the Summit. I think it is a worthwhile investment because of the content and the networking, but I have to decide is I can afford that investment at this time.

This is the same dilemma I am wrestling with.

• GilaMonster (7/7/2011)

Fal (7/7/2011)

GilaMonster (7/7/2011)

Fal (7/6/2011)

No no, don't get me wrong. My tongue was firmly in my cheek when I posted that.

Oh good. I was worried I'd really upset someone that time. I've heard (but don't recall) some other SQL knock-knock jokes, and there's tonnes of 'X walked into a bar' type of SQL jokes.

I thought they were "R walked into a BAR..."

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLkiwi (7/7/2011)

Jack Corbett (7/7/2011)

...I'm still debating attending the Summit. I think it is a worthwhile investment because of the content and the networking, but I have to decide is I can afford that investment at this time.

This is the same dilemma I am wrestling with.

And your cost will be much higher than mine in regard to both time and money. I only have about 8hrs of travel each way and can do that for about $500.

• Jack Corbett (7/7/2011)

Regardless of if you are a contractor/consultant or a regular employee, you are responsible for your professional development. So, why aren't we all putting some money away every pay period to be able to go to conferences and classes. I know I need to start.

I have been doing that for quite some time. It's the only reason I can afford things like Summit. Still, said savings are looking a little thin after everything else this year...

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GSquared (7/7/2011)

HA! That is funny.

My problem is in my old age, my buffer cache is not as large as it once was. Er. I'm talking about my memory. So if I have too many perforated threads hydrating and dehydrating my CPU cache, and too many pages needing to be swapped to make room for another sub-topic, I spend more time doing yet another bookmark lookup and racking up some PageIOLatches.

Signed,

Alzheimer's in Austin

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• Jim Murphy (7/7/2011)

GSquared (7/7/2011)

HA! That is funny.

My problem is in my old age, my buffer cache is not as large as it once was. Er. I'm talking about my memory. So if I have too many perforated threads hydrating and dehydrating my CPU cache, and too many pages needing to be swapped to make room for another sub-topic, I spend more time doing yet another bookmark lookup and racking up some PageIOLatches.

Signed,

Alzheimer's in Austin

Those aren't threads, those are cans of beer. 😀

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Hey guys, I could use a hand here: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1138580-338-1.aspx

My google-fu is failing, my brain is on vaporlock at my confusion, and I've placed a nice bullseye on my desk as a target to help with the mental reboot.

Nevermind, sorry. Removed vaporlock. Apparently I had to ask for help to answer my own question...

... have I mentioned I HATE Try/Catch used badly lately?

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• GilaMonster (7/7/2011)

Jack Corbett (7/7/2011)

I have been doing that for quite some time. It's the only reason I can afford things like Summit. Still, said savings are looking a little thin after everything else this year...

Yep. Same here. Self employed and the lost wages stack up. Also, what happens if a major issue breaks out while at the conference? Fortunately, I have a few employees who can hold down the fort while I'm gone. But next year, I'm probably going to want to fly them out too. Uh, to North Carolina apparently. Maybe this year, I can meet someone who is really ticked off at the new Summit location and will refuse to go, and who also has flexibility in their schedule. I can have them watch all of our customers alerts, etc. in 2012.

So I too am burning through cash reserves to attend but I feel it'll be worth it. Jack, like you said, we are all in charge of our own professional development and I feel the Summit will develop me, both technically, but also with business contacts and whatever doors those end up opening up. It is REAL hard to quantify what was 'missed' by skipping an event like this. Training can be mostly DVD'd. But networking - even if that means not 'trying' to network - can build relationships that cause people like Kendra to join a company with Brent. Just never know what 5 or 10 years will bring.

But skipping the hang-out time will surely prevent doors from being opened in the first place.

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• Jim Murphy (7/7/2011)

But next year, I'm probably going to want to fly them out too. Uh, to North Carolina apparently. Maybe this year, I can meet someone who is really ticked off at the new Summit location and will refuse to go, and who also has flexibility in their schedule. I can have them watch all of our customers alerts, etc. in 2012.

Pass Summit 2012 is in Seattle. It's 2013 that's in Charlotte http://www.sqlpass.org/Community/PASSBlog/entryid/334/Announcing-PASS-Summit-2013-in-Charlotte.aspx (A decision that I must admit does not fill me with joy)

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 27,871 through 27,885 (of 66,588 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply