Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 22,227 total)
That got posted before I intended.
Natural keys for relational references within the DB are always bad. Natural keys can change which destroys referential integrity, they can't survive data corrections,...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 8, 2023 at 8:33 pm
Ha! I may have overly played up the "scary" part of the scarydba occasionally.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 8, 2023 at 8:28 pm
For someone that does provide as much content as he does/has, I can completely understand how that can wear away your sanity. 😉
Exactly. I totally understand why he does...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 8, 2023 at 12:59 pm
Forget leading commas. Let's debate leading semi-colons. @=)
This could start a flame war! I've seen instances of otherwise-seasoned coders on here using the dreaded
;WITH CTE...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 8, 2023 at 12:24 pm
Forget leading commas. Let's debate leading semi-colons. @=)
.Please no >_< .Leading commas I accept as a preference, but leading semicolons are another matter entirely, lol .Those are like...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 8, 2023 at 12:22 pm
Forget leading commas. Let's debate leading semi-colons. @=)
.Please no >_< .Leading commas I accept as a preference, but leading semicolons are another matter entirely, lol .Those are like...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 8, 2023 at 12:22 pm
That’s why I like you Jeff, you’re such a smart guy 😍🥳
Heh... if I were really smart, I'd just up and retire. That would probably kill...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 8, 2023 at 12:20 pm
Don't get me started in WITH (NOLOCK). Apparently there are a number of people suddenly making that recommendation to get rid of blocking.
It's apparently easier advice to give people...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 8, 2023 at 12:18 pm
FFS
What a pain in the bottom.
I did agree with Jeff though. The answers on that other forum stunk.
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 7, 2023 at 5:06 pm
To my knowledge, primary key or not, temp tables are cleaned up at the end of a connection. I'm not aware of circumstances that prevent this. Of course, a global...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 7, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Predicting the future is something I'm pretty bad at. Could something completely eliminate the need for a role that resembles that of the database administrator? Sure. What does that look...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 7, 2023 at 12:37 pm
First up, the only sure way to 100% validate a backup is good is to run a restore. The saying goes "You're only as good as your last restore." So,...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 7, 2023 at 12:19 pm
No, an INSERT statement does not block SELECT statements. SELECT statements can run simultaneously with INSERT statements in most databases.
Apologies for being blunt, but that is simply not true.
Can...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 7, 2023 at 11:34 am
Thanks everyone for the explanation.But one thing bothering me,
Considering the below example, I am in read committed isolation level and assuming that my table has 100 rows inside it.
now,...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 7, 2023 at 11:30 am
I had close to twenty years experience when I started working with Azure back in 2008/2009. My organization wasn't using it. I just started learning it on my own. When...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 6, 2023 at 2:20 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 22,227 total)