Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 22,227 total)
Have you captured the blocked process report? That's going to show you the precise blocking chain. You'll have a total story, and one that cannot be argued with. And yeah,...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 14, 2023 at 1:35 pm
A bunch to unpack here. Let's start with the nerdier stuff.
You list a bunch of events for capturing query metrics, but, you're missing a few, sp_statement_completed for example, since you're...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 14, 2023 at 1:33 pm
Personally, I'd go with what I'm familiar with and can support. If you're better in AWS, that's probably your best bet.
HOWEVER...
I would also be very cautious about moving your friend...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 14, 2023 at 1:23 pm
If I were doing a lot of external data, I'd absolutely be looking at Polybase. It's a way to query the data in place that's more efficient than some...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 14, 2023 at 1:15 pm
I'd look at this article by Jonathan Kehayias. I think it covers what you're looking for. In general, you may not have a direct, "HERE IS THE ONE PIECE...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 14, 2023 at 1:10 pm
Education.
Get extended events out and set up data collection. Show them how long queries take. Show them how blocking works, and how sometimes, you simply can't guarantee 2 seconds of...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 14, 2023 at 1:05 pm
If you've been running without partitions for 12 years or so, why add them back? Partitions are all about data management, not performance. If you're not dealing with all the...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 14, 2023 at 1:01 pm
If you get your answers from ChatGPT you should say so.
Ha! I was just coming down to say something similar. I suspect we're going to be seeing a LOT...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 14, 2023 at 12:51 pm
Oh, I know all too well how people try to avoid doing new & different stuff. The issue to me is pretty clear though. Learning is a skill, like any...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 13, 2023 at 2:52 pm
Bob Ward's pre-con was a pretty compelling reason to go to Austin's SQL Saturday. I saw a 2 hour-ish presentation about a year ago by Bob Ward on 2022. ...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 10, 2023 at 1:26 pm
As emphatically strong a suggestion as I can make...
If you get the opportunity to take the all-day class on SQL Server 2022 put on by Bob Ward of Microsoft, jump...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 10, 2023 at 1:02 pm
I hadn't considered that. I will definitely have duplicates of natural keys that exist in different statuses while some of the status should be able to duplicate and Active...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 9, 2023 at 8:27 pm
Thanks Grant. I'm not looking at doing any speaking, just attending. I'll have a look at these and see how they fit in with the Calendar. 🙂
Misunderstood. Apologies. So,...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 9, 2023 at 5:08 pm
Shifting gears a bit, I'm hoping this year that work will be happy to pay (or at least contribute) to me getting out and going to some SQL based...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 9, 2023 at 1:19 pm
Grant Fritchey wrote:Ha! I may have overly played up the "scary" part of the scarydba occasionally.
I apologize. I didn't intend to embarrass, my dear ol' friend.
Whoops. You didn't have to...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
February 9, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 22,227 total)