Speakers Are Normal People

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Speakers Are Normal People

• Are you sure about the "normal people" part? I mean, that group of speakers includes me, so...

Ha!

I believe this stuff, communication with humans, is just hard. We all struggle. Fact is, sometimes, we just don't notice that we excluded people. It's not that anyone sets out to. Just the opposite. But you see someone you know well, but you haven't seen in a while, so you run up, hugging & smiling & talking. Yeah, the person opposite, that you don't know at all, may feel excluded. I don't know how to fix that.

However, what I do know is, I welcomed every single "First Timer" I saw. I welcomed, individually, all the attendees to the first timer event. I work, hard, on being as approachable as I can be. I try to embrace the whole "aggressively friendly" attitude set by Kevin Kline.

We really are just humans, with all the good & bad that implies.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I think too often people think #SQLFamily is the people who speak, run conferences, etc., but it is really everyone who wants to be a part of the family. And that family is made up of extroverts and introverts. And even the extroverts sometimes just want to get to lunch or the restroom in that one time you see them in person.

There are many avenues to being a part of the SQL family, social media being the easiest. Most of the people you want to meet are out there somewhere. It is getting a bit more difficult because Twitter was the best place to go, but if you look around enough, there are communities all around (not unlike SQL Server Central) that you can learn, share, and meet people in.

And many of us got started with the community by helping others in forums around the web...

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Are you sure about the "normal people" part? I mean, that group of speakers includes me, so...

Ha!

I believe this stuff, communication with humans, is just hard. We all struggle. Fact is, sometimes, we just don't notice that we excluded people. It's not that anyone sets out to. Just the opposite. But you see someone you know well, but you haven't seen in a while, so you run up, hugging & smiling & talking. Yeah, the person opposite, that you don't know at all, may feel excluded. I don't know how to fix that.

However, what I do know is, I welcomed every single "First Timer" I saw. I welcomed, individually, all the attendees to the first timer event. I work, hard, on being as approachable as I can be. I try to embrace the whole "aggressively friendly" attitude set by Kevin Kline.

We really are just humans, with all the good & bad that implies.

"Normal"? Not the first term that comes to mind, but human, absolutely!

😎

One has to keep in mind that no individual on this planet has ever had a choice of families before entering one 😉

• Last week, for me, was super busy. I'm only now catching up with all the email. I saw this one on Sunday, two days after Steve published it.

Anyway, I've used the hashtag #SQLHelp on Twitter several times, to ask questions when time was urgent. I've never used #SQLFamily on Twitter. I just did and saw that there's several tweets there that use #SQLFamily. So, what's the difference in usage between #SQLHelp and #SQLFamily?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• #SQLHelp is pretty much what it says, "Hey, I could use some help on SQL Server." And that's all it's for. Yeah, sometimes people try to use it advertise a good or service,  but for the most part, it's not abused.

#SQLFamily on the other hand is just a way to rope people in and tag 'em. It doesn't have any particular use or meaning beyond giving people a search term on the hash tag.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Oh! OK, thanks, Grant.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply