Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22,227 total)
So, with the Seattle Data Summit being moved to what (might) be a smaller venue, what're the chances of the tickets selling out in the next 3-4 weeks?
I wouldn't...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
September 25, 2026 at 2:42 pm
I think that the COVID shutdown really messed with young people's interest in meeting personally. They got used to communicating using phones and the internet rather than speaking personally...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
September 7, 2026 at 8:55 am
Grant, I think that our time is slowly running out. The time when people, not just in informatics, or especially in SQL, but in every aspect of life, used...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
September 7, 2026 at 8:54 am
hi feel like CERTIFICATIONS and all is a waste of time/money/energy learning new features and all when "big big CASH" is involved makes sense to me no pun intended...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
August 17, 2026 at 11:34 am
I am in the first group. I have put this out there before as well. A great way to learn new features is to work on the latest certification...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
August 17, 2026 at 11:31 am
I have put this out here before, but will relate this experience again. Over my 42-year IT career I worked with hardware/software from three major vendors and many software...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
August 17, 2026 at 11:30 am
I don't know how many of you have seen this, but OUCH. True, funny, painful, true. https://www.stvn.sh/writing/programming-still-sucks-fqffhyp
That was far too close to reality.
And the doll is on...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
August 10, 2026 at 10:16 am
Having 21 years of experience, mostly with SQL Server, I’m still on a team managing 800+ instances. At 42 years old, I’m a bit lost on what to even...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
July 23, 2026 at 5:45 pm
Ooh, I worked at a place like that.... for six months.
I lasted 18 months at this place, mostly because there were some very promising opportunities once it...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
May 26, 2026 at 6:46 pm
Amen to that !
Cheers!
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
May 26, 2026 at 1:26 pm
About 15 years ago, I was hired as the first DBA at a small medical records company. My first project was to assess the overall environment and make suggestions/changes...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
May 26, 2026 at 1:25 pm
Grant I know what you mean. And this article's message is a good one! But I wonder how far one can take this?
For example, I am writing this on...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
May 26, 2026 at 1:24 pm
I've got a situation at present where a BI product has an API and a UI that uses the API.
The API has "features", as in looks like a bug,...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
May 26, 2026 at 1:20 pm
Just never forget, downstream, in the future, you, or someone, is going to want to report on this data, slice and dice it. The more you make that easy now,...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
May 26, 2026 at 12:59 pm
No arguments from me, you know that.
I will make one small point. A thing that can't go on, won't. We may be seeing the end of the ecosystem we came...
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
- Theodore Roosevelt
Author of:
SQL Server Execution Plans
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
May 16, 2026 at 12:41 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22,227 total)