Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,231 through 1,245 (of 3,717 total)

  • RE: Avoiding Stored Procedures

    My definition of good enough would be significantly lower if the"we promise to fix this if it causes problems" was a firm commitment rather than an outright lie.

    There's nothing like...

  • RE: Time Off

    I've not taken holidays because job changes meant that I've lost holiday allowance but I cannot think of an occasion when I've thought "I'm glad I didn't use my holiday...

  • RE: Avoiding Stored Procedures

    Indianrock (8/31/2016)


    Absolutely correct. I don't know why we don't have load tools so that a prod-like load can be tested in QA. The need has been there for...

  • RE: Avoiding Stored Procedures

    Indianrock (8/31/2016)


    Is this relevant? Hardware may be cheaper than experienced developers and DBAs who could actually develop the sophisticated procs which could handle complicated business logic.

    In many of these...

  • RE: Avoiding Stored Procedures

    I strongly suspect that developer antipathy to stored procedures is rooted in organisation structure rather than pure technical arguments.

    • Stored procs being seen as a DBA thing taking control...

  • RE: Avoiding Stored Procedures

    Indianrock (8/30/2016)


    Another example of the problem is a 4GB plan cache with 2,500 single-use plans out of a total of about 12,000 plans. The ORM sets parameter character length...

  • RE: Avoiding Stored Procedures

    There are some lessons I've taken away from this discussion:

    "tools" I'm going to ask people more about the tools that are being used. I don't/can't know everything. And what...

  • RE: Avoiding Stored Procedures

    I thought a Birmingham Screwdriver was a lump hammer:hehe:

    On the Agile front an awful lot of things get labelled as Agile when they are not. If it sounds like...

  • RE: Avoiding Stored Procedures

    The question for me is as to whether there has been much improvement in the ORM tools over the past 4years?

    My next question would be as to whether education in...

  • RE: Using Microsoft R in Enterprise Environments

    Yes, when I first started working with SAS analysts I thought their output was going to be a bunch of formulae that I would have to code into an application.

    It...

  • RE: Using Microsoft R in Enterprise Environments

    I enjoyed this article very much.

    The open source debate is an interesting one. OpenSSL is open source so any company that trades over the internet is trusting their most...

  • RE: Better Coding

    In the UK there are restrictions to do with company financial state and length of operation that prevent smaller players from being considered for government contracts.

    When the contracts come in...

  • RE: Better Coding

    ]It appears simple enough. Why can't it work? Something for this big of an audience never seems to.

    In my experience the solutions are over engineered and under provisioned.

    The over engineering...

  • RE: Better Coding

    For a census the app simply collects the post from a web form and persists it.

    Given that it is a once every 10 year thing with fixed questions you are...

  • RE: Better Coding

    I have been on the receiving end of 3rd party partnerships with IT vendors.

    I wanted to feel like a customer, not a conquest.

    After the high-ups have been wined & dined,...

  • Viewing 15 posts - 1,231 through 1,245 (of 3,717 total)