Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 3,716 total)
Of the developers I have known, the best of them have hobbies outside of work that involve creating things.
I love both the problem-solving and building aspects of what I do. ...
October 2, 2026 at 10:52 am
I'm surprised that JIRA still does not allow more than one person to be assigned a ticket. Where I work we frequently pair up to work on a ticket.
I'm finding...
September 28, 2026 at 6:56 pm
Time makes more converts than reason.
I think you have to be older to appreciate the truth in that Thomas Paine quote. That is in the same vein as
A child doesn’t...
September 22, 2026 at 7:16 am
The harder a technical task is, the more value there is in spending time simplifying it first, then automating it. Especially if it resists simplification.
A black box is great until...
September 21, 2026 at 5:02 pm
Loads from Terry Pratchet
“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign...
September 18, 2026 at 5:46 pm
I would love an AI agent to fill in timesheets. It is an onerous task at best. My role requires me to be spread across many projects and duties. I'm...
September 11, 2026 at 7:47 am
WOW, Steve, I didn't realize that the world is moving in a direction like this. I trust you when you say people (companies) are adopting multiple database platforms that...
September 10, 2026 at 5:38 pm
A friend got a job and found that the answer to "What DB platforms are you using? SQL Server, PostGres, Oracle, DB/2, RedShift, MySQL, BigQuery, Snowflake?" was Yes. In other...
September 9, 2026 at 7:57 am
When things are hectic, we don't have the time to explore what we can improve in our development process, even though this has a rapid payback.
One of my colleagues used...
September 4, 2026 at 10:41 am
There was a post on LinkedIn that argued that DORA metrics are not a measure of productivity. The argument was that these metrics measure the speed and success of deployments...
September 2, 2026 at 10:09 am
The longer elevated privileges are allowed the harder it becomes to remove them.
Apps get written on the assumption of elevated privileges and any initiative to reduce privileges turns into a...
August 26, 2026 at 9:50 am
Every setting has a reason for its existence, even if its just for an edge case.
I wish that, for any tech, there was an explicit set of edge case documents...
August 19, 2026 at 9:27 am
I've seen several tools that have started as side-of-desk development to make an individual's life easier. What started as one person's "make my life easier" project grew to become something...
August 13, 2026 at 10:43 am
Walk a mile in someone else's shoes!
A senior infrastructure colleague used to describe people's attitude to infrastructure as being paid for in wooden dollars. To non-infrastructure people, the real cost...
August 10, 2026 at 9:07 am
I worry that there has been a transition from putting in extra hours to get ahead to putting in extra hours just to stop falling behind.
An elite athlete will tell...
August 5, 2026 at 5:31 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 3,716 total)