Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 3,716 total)
The thing with a P01 query is that there isn't much there to tune.
I worked on a system where the DB was under stress from 10s of thousands of calls...
July 31, 2026 at 10:00 am
Part of the road to AI adoption is learning what you need to do to build trust in it and which bits you can trust. There are a lot of...
July 28, 2026 at 10:26 am
I work with Snowflake, where the billing is based on compute per minute, with the increasing warehouse sizes having a higher multiplication factor.
If we double the warehouse size, the price...
July 23, 2026 at 8:20 am
I worked on a project where the company had 2 big vendor contracts. The sort where you sign up for 10 years for a figure that would keep someone in...
July 15, 2026 at 4:52 pm
I worked at a company where the data analysts were paid significantly below market rate.
This became a growing staff retention problem, but HR rules made bulk pay rises for existing...
July 13, 2026 at 4:43 pm
My youngest son was an engineer for a heritage railway company. That was a varied job with tight deadlines and often required thinking fast on his feet.
My middle son is...
July 10, 2026 at 4:47 pm
I recently took a series of Tableau TDS files and extracted their metadata in a form similar to INFORMATION_SCHEMA. This revealed what the schema, table and attributes were in the...
July 9, 2026 at 10:07 am
I found the readability tools in the article editor for this site useful, so my prompt is;
Suggest edits to my document to improve the Flesch reading score with a minimum...
July 8, 2026 at 6:03 am
I was fortunate that a previous employer sent me on the SQL Server 6.5 training courses (Admin and Developer).
I've used many DB platforms since, but SQL Server remains my favourite. ...
June 30, 2026 at 7:25 am
Years ago (pre-AI), I had a conversation with a Solutions Architect who had come up through the ranks of Java development.
They had joined a company where architects had to be...
June 26, 2026 at 8:06 am
The company I used to work for had 3 offices. The office I used to work for was a 45-mile each-way drive, and I never thought twice about it. The...
June 24, 2026 at 9:03 am
I can remember Buck Woody describing the cloud as somebody else's computer. I sometimes think that someone else is Don Vito Corleone.
37 Signals wrote about their repatriation from the...
June 22, 2026 at 5:27 pm
In the past year, I've reconnected with some ex-colleagues from decades ago whom I thought I'd never see again.
It has been both a surprise and a pleasure.
June 19, 2026 at 3:07 pm
I asked Claude to investigate a hunch about a code base and catalogue the results. I could have done this manually, but it would have taken days, if not weeks,...
June 17, 2026 at 5:18 pm
I'm watching a serverless cloud data warehouse issue at the moment, where the data is growing naturally, and the costs are slowly creeping up because the time to process is...
June 15, 2026 at 7:49 am
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 3,716 total)