Viewing 15 posts - 1,216 through 1,230 (of 3,717 total)
Experience has taught me that any development discipline must be practised continually, otherwise the discipline will be lost. Using source control is one of these disciplines.
I have adopted a...
September 12, 2016 at 3:40 am
If you are further up the management pyramid it's not just the rarity of the opportunities but also where you have to go to get them.
LinkedIn being used to offer...
September 12, 2016 at 12:46 am
@ben ward. I agree with most of what you said. Obviously developers have the same ability to learn, retain and apply a huge array of complex technical material...
September 10, 2016 at 7:53 am
Gary Varga (9/9/2016)
David.Poole (9/8/2016)
...it takes considerable time and energy to be able to steer people the way you hope they will go...
...whilst being prepared to change course as we learn...
September 10, 2016 at 3:12 am
I've hired two people on the basis of them asking a really interesting question. A mind that can think of an interesting question is one that will find a...
September 9, 2016 at 10:00 am
There's not that can be added here.
The times I use a cursor are when I can't find a set based way of doing something. In which case I tend...
September 9, 2016 at 8:09 am
What is the preferred method of steering? Cattle prod or baseball bat?
In Yorkshire I believe both are called a Learning Bat.
Joking aside it takes considerable time and energy to...
September 8, 2016 at 3:51 pm
djblyth (9/8/2016)
Actually though, I think techies often begin with the expectation that a non-techie...
September 8, 2016 at 10:03 am
Some of the best training I have had has not been technical. It has been soft skills related. I learned an important concept called "managing up". This...
September 8, 2016 at 7:29 am
Excellent editorial.
I am an Aspie so life is one long foot in the mouth experience. One of the hardest lessons to learn is that something I am passionate about...
September 8, 2016 at 12:49 am
A lot of companies are transitioning to DevOps. The delay is likely due to cultural issues although certain traditional software is highly resistant to scripted deployments.
From what I can...
September 7, 2016 at 1:36 pm
In a past life I worked in a company that provided web sites using CMSs. At the time these things had quite complicated infrastructure requirements if you wanted to...
September 7, 2016 at 12:54 am
The phrase I would use would be "choose files over database tables". That isn't slamming the door on using tables, its just saying that in most cases would be...
September 6, 2016 at 12:30 am
Has anyone had any experience of an NDA/NCA being enforced?
Yes we sign these things up front but what happens from a practical stand point if they are breached? Not...
September 5, 2016 at 5:33 am
I can remember when vb.net came out. I was in a development role at the time and two of my colleagues had honours degrees in software engineering. Very...
September 2, 2016 at 12:32 am
Viewing 15 posts - 1,216 through 1,230 (of 3,717 total)