Impressive Accomplishments

• If a resume that is nothing but a boiler plate cover, a list of past employers and schools I've never heard of, and a tag cloud of unsubstantiated skills, then that's not captivating. That's common. Even if the resume is well written that tells me nothing since "desktop publishing" is not a noteworthy IT skill in 2016.

When looking for stand-out resumes, it's helpful if the job seeker provides a description of a specific project for each past job and also highlights their role in that project. I don't care if the resume is four pages or more; so long as the first page captivates me, then I'll read further.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Gary Varga (2/22/2013)

TravisDBA (2/22/2013)

Gary Varga (2/22/2013)

Surely some of the responsibility is on the author's own integrity. After all suggesting that someone focusses on the positives and leaves out the less positives (or some negatives) is not necessarily encouraging deception at all..

Gary, in many cases that's called "bragging", and the problem with that is most people don't know where to draw the line on doing it in a resume, which ends up crossing the line over into deception (lieing). Leaving that reponsibility totally in the hands of the author without doing extensive background and reference checking to back it up is like leaving bank security in the hands of a bank robber, and then just taking his/her word for it that its good to go.:-D

I am certainly not relieving the hirers from their duty just saying that any articles giving inappropriate advice regarding writing resumes / CVs does not excuse the authors in any way whatsoever.

As for the "bragging", just because someone is bragging doesn't mean it is wrong. If you can deliver then brag away. Otherwise it is lying. And wrong.

Old post, I know..but couldn't resist replying.

Very recently I heard the following on the radio that made me chuckle.

"If you've done it and can do it again and then talk about it that's not bragging! Right?"

heh. :-P:-D very apropo. me thinks. :hehe:

• qbrt (9/9/2016)

Gary Varga (2/22/2013)

TravisDBA (2/22/2013)

Gary Varga (2/22/2013)

Surely some of the responsibility is on the author's own integrity. After all suggesting that someone focusses on the positives and leaves out the less positives (or some negatives) is not necessarily encouraging deception at all..

Gary, in many cases that's called "bragging", and the problem with that is most people don't know where to draw the line on doing it in a resume, which ends up crossing the line over into deception (lieing). Leaving that reponsibility totally in the hands of the author without doing extensive background and reference checking to back it up is like leaving bank security in the hands of a bank robber, and then just taking his/her word for it that its good to go.:-D

I am certainly not relieving the hirers from their duty just saying that any articles giving inappropriate advice regarding writing resumes / CVs does not excuse the authors in any way whatsoever.

As for the "bragging", just because someone is bragging doesn't mean it is wrong. If you can deliver then brag away. Otherwise it is lying. And wrong.

Old post, I know..but couldn't resist replying.

Very recently I heard the following on the radio that made me chuckle.

"If you've done it and can do it again and then talk about it that's not bragging! Right?"

heh. :-P:-D very apropo. me thinks. :hehe:

Agreed. Spot on.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I've hired two people on the basis of them asking a really interesting question. A mind that can think of an interesting question is one that will find a new way of answering it.

• A doctorate degree and longevity at a prior job (NASA).

• The last time I hired someone, he was literally the weakest candidate - on paper. But then, several people weeded themselves out in phone interviews, and one local person failed when asked to write some simple queries.

The person who eventually got the job impressed me when he answered a technical question with "it depends", and then went on to list several factors that could influence the result and why.

I knew immediately that he knew what he was talking about, and made him an offer that same day. Never regretted it.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply