Microsoft Certified Master

• Just to be clear, it's not MS Learning's fault. Prometric has seriously dropped the ball here, there are at least 3 people now who they've messed around on the MCM exams, and that's in the last 2 months.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/27/2012)

Jeff Moden (4/26/2012)

Robert Davis (4/25/2012)

I know that MSL is aware of this issue and I believe it has been escalated to Prometric

Wow! Seriously??? Who checks these things before they're promoted to produciton? :-P;-)

Like many other things, marketing and sales push things forward. There is a need to deploy, before things are completely tested.

The way it's always been outside of the space shuttle, probably the way it always will be for most companies.

Ah yes... the infamous "Schedule is King" argument that has blackened the eyes of so many otherwise capabable companies.

And contrary to what I see many people leaning towards on these problems, it's not just Prometric's fault... where the heck was MSL for UAT and FAT testing when you needed them? It all boils down to the same lesson that companies keep learning and ignoring over and over. "If you want it real bad, that's the way you'll normally get it." 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Uwe,

I share the sentiment. Good luck, especially with all that you've gone through in trying to take the exams.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (4/27/2012)

And contrary to what I see many people leaning towards on these problems, it's not just Prometric's fault... where the heck was MSL for UAT and FAT testing when you needed them?

Disagree. The exam's been available for over a year now, and the problems are all (well, all the ones I've heard from), just in the last month or 2. That sounds like a process problem, and a new one, not a 'did you bother testing' problem

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (4/28/2012)

Jeff Moden (4/27/2012)

And contrary to what I see many people leaning towards on these problems, it's not just Prometric's fault... where the heck was MSL for UAT and FAT testing when you needed them?

Disagree. The exam's been available for over a year now, and the problems are all (well, all the ones I've heard from), just in the last month or 2. That sounds like a process problem, and a new one, not a 'did you bother testing' problem

Ah... got it. Thought this was an ongoing problem from the git. Thanks, Gail.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I don't know where the problem lies, but I suspect that it is actually an MSL issue. There is a process for defining what exams are required for each certification. This problem appeared when The new certifications were input into the system. I suspect that it is the new certification definitions that caused the issue to occur. I don't believe there were any changes on the Prometric side, they should only be doing what the certification definitions say to do. My best guess is that it was an administrative error, not a software bug.

I'm purely speculating though. I'm no longer in MSL, and I wasn't there when the problem occured.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Whatever may be the cause, candidates like Uwe are suffering and that’s really bad. And its disgrace, it happened during MS prime certification exam.

• Hallo all,

thanks for your warm words - I hope all have been done well. Currently I'm in contact with Prometric and will see what happens.

The only "light in the tunnel" is the option for a free retake of the 971.

Currently all my transcripts / logos / ... say that I've passed the MCM programm.

I cross the fingers,too 🙂

Just another point which need to be clear:

I've recieved a few mails concerning the content of the lab test.

Please understand that I will not give ANY information in detail about the single tasks.

The only thing I can say ...

I strongly recommend to study the videos shared on SQLSkills.com

If you are familiar with the topics of the vids you will pass 971!

Best to you - keep you informed when news arrive 🙂

Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    MVP - Data Platform (2013 - ...)
    my blog: http://www.sqlmaster.de (german only!)

• I did a training session yesterday with a new person that MSL just hired (not the new PM, a different role) and went over the exam grading process. Hopefully, you will get your exam results soon.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• I would like to share my MCM exam experience which hasn’t been very smooth 🙁

I wanted to take the exam in Japan since I’m going there for holiday, but Japan Prometric web site is only available in Japanese language and I couldn’t find anywhere to register for this exam although I’m sure the exam is available there. Hence, my 2nd choice to stopover in Malaysia and take the exam there since it’s on my flight transit route.

I did the initial preparation i.e. check exam centre location, phone, book hotel, etc in Malaysia.

The exam location was Faber Imperial, little did I know the exam centre was actually the same building as Sheraton Imperial Hotel but at the rear side of this hotel. It took me 45mins and 3 taxi drivers to get to exam location. I wasn’t aware a taxi in Malaysia doesn’t use GPS. You would never ever see Faber Imperial anywhere along the address listed. So first tip is the “hidden” location of the exam centre. Yes, I did try calling the phone listed for more than 15 times and just got engaged tone all the time.

My exam is scheduled at 11AM and I finally arrive at 10.45AM. It took 10 mins for staff to look for fingerprint scan. I recall staff making calls asking for location of the fingerprint scan device :ermm:

Before exam, I was required to show my pockets are empty and some kind of device to scan my body. This was fine. I finally get to sit in front of the computer nervously before starting the exam. When I click Start Exam, there was an error to do with illegal application running on the exam PC. I was called at least 5 times to enter\re-enter the exam room, each time requiring me to show empty pocket and body scan, and each time when I click Start Exam the same error came out. Whole drama cycle lasted 1hour 45 mins before I could finally start my exam at around 12.30PM.

I was told by staff that if I decide to take a short break during exam, the exam time will continue to tick. So, I held my biology clock and stop myself from going to the toilet. 2nd tips, it’s probably not advisable to drink much water or coffee before the exam. Unfortunately, I read Steve Jones’s blog after my exam on his experience taking MCM exam and it seems he could pause\sign out his exam when taking short break. So, I’m not sure. Maybe you should check with Prometric and get some black and white on this just in case you’re told same you can’t pause the exam, or maybe print Steve’s page http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/steve_jones/2011/03/10/mcm-_1320_-the-knowledge-exam/

Because of our unfamiliarity with the location, I have promised to meet with my pregnant wife at 4PM at another location. Due to the delay, I was a bit nervous because we both don’t have a phone to reach each other. So, next tips would be making sure you don’t have appointment after your exam even if you’ve buffered some time. Who knows if your exam might be delayed like mine, or make sure you have some sort of way to contact the person you have appointment with.

Finally I finished my exam around 3.30PM. I didn’t manage to leave a single comment on the question although I wanted to because of my appointment 🙁 When I click End Exam, to my surprise it prompt that MCM: SQL 2008 Knowledge Exam is still in Beta! Not complaining here, but it just caught me by surprise. I thought the exam would’ve been RTM/CU/SP by now :w00t:

I have taken Microsoft exam many times before and it’s been very smooth and commendable, but first time I have ever encountered such experience. I wanted to lodge a complaint in Prometric web site, but it seem their “Register a Complaint” is actually a “Thank the Team” form. You’ll know if you go to Prometric web site and click “Register a Complaint”. I seriously think Prometric needs to step up their processes and procedures. I reckon Uwe is pretty lucky he’s got offer from Prometric for same exam re-attempt.

I haven’t received my result yet, there’s a 30-business day wait. But Prometric shows that I have passed this exam? Also, when I login to my MCP web site, it lists “MCM: SQL 2008 Knowledge Exam” under “My Certifications: Your latest earned certifications are listed below” although it hasn’t appear in my transcript. I would discard this as I haven’t received my exam result officially. If so, Microsoft should probably remove this from MCP site as it seem to be giving impression that you’ve passed the exam.

It’s very unfortunately MCM exam is not available in Sydney, Australia. Wish it would come here. Hope this might helps someone to organise their exam better than mine. The experience was bad, but everyone’s still alive, so life goes on.

Simon

Simon Liew

• If Prometric shows you've passed, then you've passed. Congrats. It's not a 30 day wait, it's up to 30 days, can be a lot less.

I believe there's a 2 week delay before you'll be able to book the lab. Just wait 2 weeks and try to book it, if you can't call prometric help desk (but don't let them tell you the delay is on MS's side. It's not. MS doesn't mark the knowledge exams)

Check the post, you'll get the official results from prometric eventually, they don't email it to you.

My experience was on par, possibly worse. I don't think the exam's still in beta, I think the completion screen just hasn't been changed. 🙁

Gail Shaw

• Hi Gail,

I saw the Passed after logging on to Prometric web site and looking at my Candidate History (I think its the same section where you print your exam receipt). I couldnt tell you exactly which the section name because it seem Prometric web site is unavailable at the moment for maintenance. The Pass\Fail wasnt shown when I ended the exam. I hope you're referring to this Section for confirmation for Pass\Fail.

If yes, I'm really ecstatic! I was thinking my score would be between 600 -750 and more possibly toward fail because I wasnt able to fully concrentrate during the exam.

Simon

Simon Liew

• If your prometric candidate history says you've passed, then you've passed. MS does not mark the knowledge exams, prometric does so they will be the first to know.

The exam doesn't say pass/fail at the end because the exams are graded by prometric sometime after you write them

On the break in the exam, no there isn't one (isn't on the lab either). Steve took the exam while it was really in beta, things likely got changed after that

Gail Shaw

• Thanks for confirmation Gail. I guess this is the best news for me today! Before I was just patiently wait for the result in the next 30-business days.

I'm still haunted by the technical glitch :crazy: I think I'll be taking a bit of time before registering for the lab sometime in Oct. I was told the lab exam have an option to be taken remotely, so I dont have to fly inter-state or overseas https://www.prometric.com/en-us/clients/Microsoft/pages/MCM.aspx

Simon Liew

• They can, yes. It costs a little more than writing at Prometric, but if you don't have a local office it'll probably work out cheaper. Just make sure you have good connection and low latency (to Redmond). Writing the lab over a connection with ~400ms latency is not a fun experience.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 223 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply