Microsoft Certified Master

• Awesome, Uwe!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Congrats Uwe! And thanks for sharing your story.

I didn't know you could take MCM in Europe. I thought it could only be taken in the U.S. (apparently some myth)

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen, the program has been scaled out. Take a look here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/master-sql-path.aspx

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Robert Davis (2/27/2012)

Koen, the program has been scaled out. Take a look here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/master-sql-path.aspx

So only 1 in Europe (if you do not count the UK) 🙂

• Koen Verbeeck (2/27/2012)

Congrats Uwe! And thanks for sharing your story.

I didn't know you could take MCM in Europe. I thought it could only be taken in the U.S. (apparently some myth)

Hallo Koen,

basically the MCM was only possible with Boot Camp in US. I've read the blog from Brent, when he has done the boot camp. That's the reason why it had taken so long to start with the exams. So Microsoft changed the process and - basically in Europe - only the exams need to be passed. That was the time for me to start this project and I hope it will be finished at 04/02/2011 in Berlin.

I'm working as a freelancer since 1991 and when I have heard the first time from the MCM program (in 2008) I began the investigation how to achieve this level of expertise. As long as the process forced the 2 week Boot camp this way of achievement was definitely to expensive for me.

I've calculated 20.000 US$ for the boot cam

+ Hotel

+ travel and expenses

AND

- no income for the next two weeks.

But 2010 I've recognized from my mcp home site that the MCM program has changed and that only the successfully pass of the exams is required. (See attached pic from my certification planner) The exams will be charged with ~375 EUR for Knowledge Exam and 1.450.00 EUR for the lab.

Unfortunately in Germany you can only do the exams in dedicated exam locations (in Germany it is only BERLIN). I'm from Frankfurt and so the exams will take me whole day for traveling -> exam -> traveling back. Hard but o.k. 🙂

I was astonished about the security in the test lab. But from my point of view it is an indication about the trustworthiness of the MCM program.

Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    MVP - Data Platform (2013 - ...)
    my blog: http://www.sqlmaster.de (german only!)

• Now it seems to be official. Transcript shows me as a MCM SQL Server 2008!!!

Ladies and gentlemen,

I'm glad to announce the passing of the last hurdle to become a MCM SQL Server 2008. My Transscript shows me as a MCM allthough I thought that Lab has not been passed due to several "extrem" problems... But think about the following story...

I've registered for the lab test for the 2nd of April 2012 in Berlin (Germany) after I've got the information that I've passed 970 successfully. So I've decided to start the lab at 10:30 (it takes 5:25 hrs!!!)

When I started the exam the first shock was a software problem with the test environment. Prometric tried to fix it until 12:00 am. So I've started my test 90 min later as expected.

The 971 is a a lab with usage of RDP for a domain controller and a dedicated SQL server with three instances. You have to solve app. 14 problems. No not solved problem could lead you into a one way so if you don't solve one problem you can follow with the next one.

You are allowed to use OH while you are doing the exam.

I will not talk about the single exam steps but keep in mind that you have to have really much experiences with SQL server before you decide to fulfill the master program.

You have to be familiar with all mentioned topics (7) which are recommended on the Microsoft certification sites. For me as a SQL Server developer for over 12 years it was sometimes really frustrating how much things I do NOT know 🙂

The lab software is - with respect - bullshit. If you basically working with [alt] [tab] to switch between application PREVENT these combinations in the lab. This will steal you app. 2 - 3 min of your time because if you use it you switch OUT OF THE LAB!!!

So the reconnection will take 2 - 5 min. For me it took in total app. 25 - 30 min of my valuable time!

Another problem (but I think it is only in countries with a keyboard layout which is different from the US layout) is the keyboard. For example:

Just a single

RESTORE DATABASE FROM DISK = 'C:\.....' was so frustrating because the {'} and the {\} are located on total different keys on the US keyboard. I can only recommend to learn the US keyboard otherwise it will take you app. 10 min of your time in total!

However: 5 hrs and 25 min seems to be enough for ~15 tasks but if you deal with the above problems you will not have the full time but less than 5 hrs.

Another issue which is really important for future canddates:

- take your drinks with you to the testing center

- take some fruits and sweets with you to the testing center

You are not allowed to leave the testing center once you've started the exam. You are not allowed to take the drinks, fruits and others with you into the testing room. If you wish to drink or eat you have to do it outside of the testing room with an employee of the test center beside you!!!

BTW: The time for drinking and eating will NOT stop the testing time. So you have to hurry up when you drink and eat. Same with the usage of rest rooms.

You are not allowed to take ANY personal things with you into the test room. If you need to have hankies you got them from the test center. Watches, purses, documents - nothing is allowed.

I'm honest - I do not know WHY I have passed the 971. My personal impression was that my test was a real horror show because of the technical problems and the environmental problems.

Because of the technical problems I've got an email from Prometric that the next try (of the same exam) would be for free. With respect - I'm glad that I do not have to accept this offer :-).

Currently I'm to exited and can not really decribe my personal feeling - I'm happy that I've passed it and with respect...

I'm proud - really proud - to qualify me as an "MCM SQL Server 2008"

Thank you for reading my post.

Feel free to ask details about the test but I will not answer any questions concerning the exercises!

Best, Uwe

MCM SQL Server 2008 🙂

• Congrats on passing the knowledge exam. Sorry the lab was a hassle. Good luck in the future.

• Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like there is a malfunction in the Prometric system and they are showing people as passing the MCM when their lab hasn't even been graded yet.

I'm not saying you didn't pass. I don't think your exam has been graded yet. I know that MSL is aware of this issue and I believe it has been escalated to Prometric.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble.

• Congrats Uwe!

Take some well deserved vacation 🙂

edit: didn't see the post of Robert Davis. I hope you still passed though. Fingers crossed!

• Hallo Robert,

that's definitely no good news :crying:

As I've described...

I've had many technical problems with the lab.

Fingers cross that it's passed.

Do you know a contact at MSL where I can check this issue?

Thank you for your assistance...

• I forwarded a link to this thread to MSL already, but you can contact them via the email address mcmsqlexam@microsoft.com

• Robert Davis (4/25/2012)

I know that MSL is aware of this issue and I believe it has been escalated to Prometric

Wow! Seriously??? Who checks these things before they're promoted to produciton? :-P;-)

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I wish I knew, Jeff.

• Jeff Moden (4/26/2012)

Robert Davis (4/25/2012)

I know that MSL is aware of this issue and I believe it has been escalated to Prometric

Wow! Seriously??? Who checks these things before they're promoted to produciton? :-P;-)

Like many other things, marketing and sales push things forward. There is a need to deploy, before things are completely tested.

The way it's always been outside of the space shuttle, probably the way it always will be for most companies.

• Hi Uwe

I really hope you have passed, especially after the trials you were forced to undertake. I've had a similar experience with Prometric, but that was for the BI MCTS, not the MCM practical.

The bug from Microsoft is, I'm afraid, a disgrace. Regardless of shipping dates and other pressures, a system has to be able to perform its basic tasks to correctly gain user confidence. I would expect to be fired if I was responsible for such a catastrophic failure involving Microsoft's premier certification.

Good luck Uwe.

Mike.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 223 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply