Microsoft Certified Master

• SimonLiew (7/25/2013)

I've written a blog about my experience, hope it helps someway.

http://sqlsimonl.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/simon-liew-microsoft-certified-master.html#!/2013/02/simon-liew-microsoft-certified-master.html

My advice is not to benchmark how many people passed in their first attempt. Everyone's different. Passing an exam doesn't mean you're superior, failing the exam doesn't mean you're not good. Its a learning journey and enjoy every moment along the way. My learning habit hasn't change a bit after obtaining MCM. I have met many experts and they're humble and earns more than I. There are many other skills than MCM to make a good consultant.

Good writeup Simon.

I think an essential skill of an MCM is to continue the learning/study habit. I know that I personally work a little more these days (after having passed my lab) to learn that much more.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Robert Davis (8/27/2013)

There isn't a logging aspect any more. There's is only doing.

Do or do not, there is no log

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Hi Vedran,

crossing fingers and hope you'll pass.

Hard work but a good preparation and good technical environment may help πŸ™‚

Keep us updated, Uwe

Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    MVP - Data Platform (2013 - ...)
    my blog: http://www.sqlmaster.de (german only!)

• Good luck Vedran πŸ™‚

Cheers,

JohnA

MCM: SQL2008

• Pfew! Just finished the lab exam.

Exhausting 6 hours with about 25 minute connection and reconnecting problems.

Really tough exam. It's a race against time.

I solved 12 but some of them probably are not totally correct at all subquestions, so I really don't know if I have passed or not.

One question I regret though, because I did it in my home lab perfectly and could not recall all the command syntaxes at the exam,

and there was not enough time to finish.

Next 7-8 days I'll spend in expectation to find out the result. Probably it is better not to hope. But I do hope, can't help myself. πŸ™‚

• Hallo Vedran,

I'm wondering why you didn't use BOL.

That was a valid option for each candidate...

However - I'm crossing fingers that you've passed.

It's near finish line - in January the MCM certification for 2008 will end (AFAIK)

• I did use BOL for that one. But it was my last task and end of exam interrupted me.

• Good luck Vedran.

Hope you pass the lab exam.

Simon Liew

• Vedran Kesegic (8/28/2013)

...Really tough exam. It's a race against time....

Race against time indeed.

If they allowed 2 days for the exam, then a lot more people would be able to pass with a perfect score. At 5.5 hours it is cramming a lot of work/hour. You cannot afford to panic and you cannot afford too many mistakes either (just like a true Master of the Craft :cool:)

I also found that not all 5 hours are equally productive - after the first 2-3 very intense hours I realised that I was getting slower and prone to making mistakes.

You can't allow yourself to be stressed though, that makes you even less productive.

Looking back, I found it thoroughly enjoyable - but I had been obsessively preparing for many months.

Hopefully you'll get the email starting with 'Congratulations' :w00t:

Cheers,

JohnA

MCM: SQL2008

• Excellent advice, John!

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all of the MCMs and MCAs got an email tonight (10 PM on a Friday night before a holiday weekend) telling us that the MCM/MCSM and MCA programs are being retired as of October 31, 2013. The Certified Master and Architect programs are dead.

This is not a joke.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Yes Robert, I got an email saying last chance to take MCM is 1st October.

• Does it mean there is no MCSM program for SQL Server 2012 too?

M&M

• Hi folks,

there will be NO MCM /MCSM/MCA program anymore! I've got that email (excerpt) tonight form Microsoft:

"We are contacting you to let you know we are making a change to the Microsoft Certified Master, Microsoft Certified Solutions Master, and Microsoft Certified Architect certifications. As technology changes so do Microsoft certifications and as such, we are continuing to evolve the Microsoft certification program. Microsoft will no longer offer Masters and Architect level training rotations and will be retiring the Masters level certification exams as of October 1, 2013. The IT industry is changing rapidly and we will continue to evaluate the certification and training needs of the industry to determine if there’s a different certification needed for the pinnacle of our program."

Pretty cool - spent lots of hours for training and money for certs and now...

"Sorry you idiot - we stopped it! har har har"

I'm sorry for all people who currently working on that certification. I know definitely two guys who passed the knowledge and currently preparing the lab. Hope they did it until 30.09.2013!

• After spending almost one year of intense studying, preparation, lot of time and money invested in perfecting my knowledge in Microsoft SQL, now MS says "sorry, that is cancelled"!!?

That sends the message that no investment of high knowledge in Microsoft technologies is safe anymore.

If this is because of profitability of the Master certification program, they should look into much wider effect the MCM program has on the community and business. They cannot look just direct earnings from certification. It is like looking to save small amount of money for the car by not buying the breaks because they are not propelling the car. Damage will be much greater than the small saving. Going so sharp on the people in such a short notice - not fair.

Company should care about it's best people and give them possibility to differentiate. But, that is just my opinion.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 223 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply