Geeky Entertainment

• Roger Zelazny - Lord of Light and/or Creatures of Light and Darkness. The Amber series would be interesting, but I can't imagine it would maintain interest over the number of movies it would take.

Steven Brust's Vlad series

Gibson's Neuromancer

Clarke's Childhood's End

Harlan Ellison has a tremendous number of short stories that would adapt well, though most of them would be pretty depressing.

+1 for the Foundation books

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• +1 for Foundation

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King was supposedly in the works. Hopefully it would translate better than the mangling of Under the Dome.

Kingkiller Chronicles by Rothfuss

None of these will work if the awful "Eragon" shortcut to movie is taken. They need more of a LOTR detail to attention. 🙂

Rich

• I'd love to see a reboot of the Barsoom (John Carter) series by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Disney already made an attempt, but it was pretty bad, leaving out the hook that each of the books of the series ended with to get you to read the next installment. There were also tons of 'Hollywood-a-fied' story edits.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • SQLDCH (2/28/2014)

I'd love to see a reboot of the Barsoom (John Carter) series by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Disney already made an attempt, but it was pretty bad, leaving out the hook that each of the books of the series ended with to get you to read the next installment. There were also tons of 'Hollywood-a-fied' story edits.

Forget it, bad comment here.

• richj-826679 (2/28/2014)

+1 for Foundation

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King was supposedly in the works. Hopefully it would translate better than the mangling of Under the Dome.

Was the series bad? I listened to the audio book and loved it.

• Was the series bad? I listened to the audio book and loved it.

Ditto to the audio book. I gave up on the mini-series because they had changed the characters and a bunch of the story completely. Barbie had murdered someone before the dome fell, the reporter/editor was married, and other such nonsense. I can see shortening the story to fit, but to change it completely just made me angry. I stopped watching after the 2nd or 3rd one.

• I can think of a few concept albums that I would love to see as films, such as Operation:Mindcrime and Clockwork Angels. Perhaps C.S. Lewis' Out of the Silent Planet.

Tony
    ------------------------------------
    Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

I gave up on the mini-series because they had changed the characters and a bunch of the story completely.

http://www.zap2it.com/news/pictures/zap-under-the-dome-book-vs-series-a-guide-20130624,0,1420864,showall.photogallery

• Harlan Ellison has a tremendous number of short stories that would adapt well, though most of them would be pretty depressing.

His story "A Boy and His Dog" was made into a 1975 move. I liked it much better than my wife did ............. 🙂

I don't think it could be a movie - maybe a HBO show or something - but I'd love to see the Foundation series adapted well. Tricky one mind you.

Agree, that would be tough.

However it could be an interesting series over a few years, explaining the background and process.

Personally I was thinking 3 movies. Not sure it would translate well to a TV series, except for the first book which has several shorter episodes. From what I recall, the 2nd and 3rd books would seem a good bit harder to subdivide, having much longer and more involved plot action between "stopping places."

richj-826679 (2/28/2014)

I gave up on the mini-series because they had changed the characters and a bunch of the story completely.

http://www.zap2it.com/news/pictures/zap-under-the-dome-book-vs-series-a-guide-20130624,0,1420864,showall.photogallery

The thing about these sci-fi related series on network TV, aside from the adaptation and production value issues, is that I find the first two episodes interesting, and then it goes downhill from there. It's was that way for the series 'Revolution'.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (2/28/2014)

richj-826679 (2/28/2014)

richj-826679 (2/28/2014)

The thing about these sci-fi related series on network TV, aside from the adaptation and production value issues, is that I find the first two episodes interesting, and then it goes downhill from there. It's was that way for the series 'V', 'Revolution', 'Jericho', etc.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• It's was that way for the series 'V', 'Revolution', 'Jericho', etc.

'V' - wow, that brings back some memories

+1 for Ringworld, however I have a sinking feeling people would see it as a Halo ripoff now 🙁 The CGI needed for Nessus and Speaker, not to mention the ships and sets would make this a big-budget movie for sure

+1 for the Rama series

Red Mars/Green Mars/Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. Might be better as a multi-year HBO series, that one. Way too much material for a movie.

• David.Poole (2/28/2014)

I picked up a few Dean Crawford books on a 2nd hand stall. Enjoyable escapism, sort of x-files meets Clive Cussler.

Hollywood seems to be doing more reboots than I ever did with Windows for Workgroups

That could be fun. I enjoy Cussler a lot.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/28/2014)

SQLRNNR (2/27/2014)

I would like to see Daniel Suarez's book Daemon turned into a movie.

That would be quite a thriller. I need to pick up his new one.

Yeah me too. It looks very intriguing.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• wodom (2/28/2014)

For many years the only books I've longed, really longed, for someone to make movies of, are:

Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" trilogy

Robert Heinlein's "The Door Into Summer"

The latter is not as well known, but IMO it's a superlative time travel yarn -- no paradoxes remaining at the end! -- with romance too.

First thing that came to mind was a series of movies based on Foundation. (Not actually a trilogy, as there is a fourth book, isn't there?) This would be AWESOME!

Anything by Heinlein would be great too, as long as the people who did "Starship Troopers" have nothing to do with it.

But, the best idea for a whole series, IMO, would be something based on Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell's "Ring World" trilogy. Now THAT would be a geeky movie!!

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply