Geeky Entertainment

• Hard to narrow this down.

I like the Foundation series, but see that working better as a miniseries than a movie. Too much happening even in the first short story to get a good feel for it and as the originals were mostly short stories it would work better that way. Some continuity, but enough differences to keep people interested.

However, his R Daneel Olivaw stories could likely work well as a movie. They're somewhat self-contained, have a mystery, would involve setting up interesting worlds, and could make good use of special effects. Of course, the flip side is someone who never read the story will turn it into a repeat of "I, Robot". 🙁

Have Spacesuit, Will Travel by Heinlein could be made into an interesting movie.

The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson could be neat. It's got an interesting take on magic and the book at least is interesting.

The Eye of the World wasn't bad overall and editing it down to a movie could actually help it in some cases. 🙂 It might feel too similar to Lord of the Rings, though it diverges as the story progresses. Considering that the original series was supposed to wrap up in under 5 books, that has some potential.

+1 for Magic Kingdom for Sale - Sold!

+1 for Neuromancer

• C.J. Cheryh's "Chanur" series. Some of her other series would make good movies too, but some of them are a little too deep for the average movie-goer.

And +1 on the Vlad by Steven Brust - loved the books; the humor is so sarcastic so often. 😀

Here there be dragons...,

Steph Brown

• Another series that would probably be better as a series than movie is Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn Series. That was a good interesting series of books.

----------------
    Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.

• Back To The Future IV

• markradley (2/28/2014)

I'd love to see a movie version of Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke

I recently discovered that has been a project of Morgan Freeman's for the last decade, but getting funding and a script together is proving to be extremely difficult.

+1. Thoroughly enjoyed that as a student, too many years ago.

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• Byron.H (2/28/2014)

Any of the books from the "Culture" series by Iain [M] Banks, although I recall reading somewhere that the late author preferred not to have his books translated to film :unsure:

Perhaps the late author's estate won't mind so much. On the other hand, translating some of those books adequately to film would be proper tricky. Dialogue is easy. Banks inspires the imagination to fill in significant gaps in the dialogue. Remember the dying drone scribbling on the ship's hull?

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• jasona.work (2/28/2014)

below86 (2/28/2014)

Wonder Woman!! Linda Carter is still hot.

:w00t::cool:

Another book I wouldn't mind seeing made into a movie would be Fallen Angels by Niven / Pournelle / Barnes (I think on Barnes)

Maybe also Back to the Moon by Homer Hickam (Jr)

Speaking of Niven and Pournelle, how about The Mote in God's Eye?

• Larry Niven "The Magic Goes Away" has plenty of scope for humour.

Stephen R. Donaldson "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" bewitched a whole generation of kids including me and deals with some difficult issues. How bad a person are you if you rape someone in a dream?

• +1 on the Magical Kingdom of Landover series

Rick Cook's Wizardry series would make a decent set of films, but would probably be too geeky for the general public.

• I'm a plus one on the David Eddings books. Any of his series would be excellent!

Nicole Bowman

Nothing is forever.

• Tilley's Amtrack Wars would make a good TV series.

• I wouldn't mind seeing The Dwarves by Markus Heitz done.

+1 on David Eddings series, I think The Redemption Of Althalus would make a great movie

• Someone mentioned Ender's Game had been adapted to a movie.

It's probably been 10+ years since I last read the book so the details are fuzzy. But I picked up the movie to watch this winter weekend.

From what I can tell they cut out a few chapters and consolidated some of Ender's experiences, but they kept the basic plot and thrust of the book. It wouldn't be a total loss for anyone who read the book to see the movie and get the same feel.

I can't see them adapting the rest of the Ender books -- they go a different way and are less sci-fi but more of human interaction set in a sci-fi future.

But I'll give Ender's Game a 4.5 out of 5 stars. The .5 is mostly because of having read the book, I know some of the off side details that will just never be done. Not because the movie was bad.

----------------
    Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.

• tabinsc (2/28/2014)

I can think of a few concept albums that I would love to see as films, such as Operation:Mindcrime and Clockwork Angels. Perhaps C.S. Lewis' Out of the Silent Planet.

Operation:Mindcrime would be an easy one. It would have to be dark. Very dark.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• wodom (2/28/2014)

Harlan Ellison has a tremendous number of short stories that would adapt well, though most of them would be pretty depressing.

His story "A Boy and His Dog" was made into a 1975 move. I liked it much better than my wife did ............. 🙂

A great ending to that film. The cinematography of that film has dated but the dark humour still works. Great taste in movies, eh?

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply