Geeky Entertainment

• Can't believe Eddings is/are getting so many mentions, but no one has put forward Feist.

• chris.puncher (3/3/2014)

Can't believe Eddings is/are getting so many mentions, but no one has put forward Feist.

Yes one based the Magician trilogy and another on the "of the Empire" one could work.

I think Faerie Tale could be popular as well -very different and much darker theme though.

• crmitchell (3/3/2014)

Yes one based the Magician trilogy and another on the "of the Empire" one could work.

It took three 3+ hour movies to do LOTR, which is a 1000-page book. "Magician" alone is 800 pages, so I dread to think how many films you'd need to effectively film that trilogy! ๐Ÿ™‚

• paul.knibbs (3/3/2014)

crmitchell (3/3/2014)

It took three 3+ hour movies to do LOTR, which is a 1000-page book. "Magician" alone is 800 pages, so I dread to think how many films you'd need to effectively film that trilogy! ๐Ÿ™‚

It could probably be done in three; although if Peter 'I think a scene involving a sledge drawn by rabbits will really move things along' Jackson is in the chair, any thing is possible.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    โ€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• 1. The Elijah Bailey detective novels by Isaac Asimov.

2. Belgariad and Malorian.

3. The Dragons of Pern novels.

4. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever - all 3 trilogies!

5. The Peter Grant novels by Ben Aaronovitch.

6. The Brentford Trilogy.

• The Adventures of Luther Arkwright (Bryan Talbot) - UK comic.

Zenith (Grant Morrison) - UK comic.

Akira (Katsuhiro Otomo) - Japanese manga also anime version done in early 90s but could be a big screen extravaganza!!!

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I hear that a movie is in the works based on Neil Gaiman's comic book series, 'The Sandman'. I've never actually been that much into comics, but my roommate in college collected every issue, and I became interested in this one.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (3/4/2014)

I hear that a movie is in the works based on Neil Gaiman's comic book series, 'The Sandman'. I've never actually been that much into comics, but my roommate in college collected every issue, and I became interested in this one.

...of course!!!

Miracleman by Alan Moore & Gary Leach (earlier Mick Anglo, later Neil Gaiman & Mark Buckingham)

Neil Gaiman did certain work for Marvel (1602, I think) to fund the legal battle of ownership!!!

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Only the first series of Covenant was good (probably brilliant) the other two were Donaldson cashing in on success.

With CGI these days the series would be spectacular, as long as the accountants don't get their hands on the script and write in some nice Ewok like creature for the marketing department.

• Oh yes, Dragons of Pern! Completely forgot about them. What about The Crystal Singer as well?

Nicole Bowman

Nothing is forever.

• Nicole Bowman (3/4/2014)

Oh yes, Dragons of Pern! Completely forgot about them. What about The Crystal Singer as well?

The Dragonriders of Pern would probably go better as a TV series. Especially with the Harper Hall series embedded in.

----------------
    Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.

• s_streeting (3/4/2014)

1. The Elijah Bailey detective novels by Isaac Asimov.

2. Belgariad and Malorian.

3. The Dragons of Pern novels.

4. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever - all 3 trilogies!

5. The Peter Grant novels by Ben Aaronovitch.

6. The Brentford Trilogy.

2: Much as I love them, I've always dreaded them being moviefied. I've read them so often I have pretty much the whole series as a movie in my head already.

4: I've always thought that the Gap series would make a better movie (or series thereof). I suspect they'd have to tone it down somewhat in places :ermm:

6: :laugh: Pooley and Omally as movie heroes - I can't wait!

• The first volume of Naomi Novik's Temeraire series is apparently somewhere in the process of becoming a movie and I can't wait to see what happens with it.

I'd love to see Nicola Griffith's Ammonite on film, but I have a feeling it would end up as an indie release due to the subject matter.

Just about anything by Lois McMaster Bujold

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle.

Black Widow needs a movie of her own!

Seconded (thirded?) on the Pern books, although agreed that it would need to either end up a series or a TV show.

And (I know there has been talk about this for years, but...) they REALLY need to do Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. But only if they're going to do it WELL.

Jennifer Levy (@iffermonster)

• I actually thought of a good set of books that would probably translate to movies decently.

The Chronoplane Wars Trilogy by Crawford Kilian

The Fall of the Republic

Rogue Emperor

The Empire of Time

Each would translate to a decent two hours with a little bit of back story and just changing the dates.

----------------
    Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.

• I thought I'd seen something similar. This was done as a readers' poll in The Register a few years ago. Here are the results: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/27/sci_fi_movie_poll/

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply