Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey (2/12/2009)

Roy Ernest (2/12/2009)

I have a gut feeling he is not a troll. He is someone who just asked without thinking or researching about it. Also if he gets a doctorate, he will get the Title of "The Scary DBA"

He'll have to come by my office to pick up the name plate and I'm not letting go without a fight.

And somehow, I have the feeling that the other guy will lose. 😀

-- Kit

• I'm sure he will. They don't call Grant "The Scary DBA" for nothing!

• Grant Fritchey (2/12/2009)

GilaMonster (2/12/2009)

Eeep..

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost655667.aspx

I want to do a PhD in the area of database optimisers. Can anyone suggest a good topic?

Gees, it took me months of reading to decide on an appropriate topic for my Master's thesis and that was with my supervisor's help.

Oh, that must be a troll. That can't possibly be serious. "I'm going for my Phd, can someone recommend a basic book or two?" That's humor. It must be.

Heh... nope... that's my ol' "buddy"... and those are typical questions from him.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (2/12/2009)

Heh... nope... that's my ol' "buddy"... and those are typical questions from him.

I agree wtih you Jeff, he is a good guy.

Question is funny and odd, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't ask one or be crucified for that.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• Jeff Moden (2/12/2009)

This poster's been active for a couple of years...quite a few of his posts might make you gasp at their naivety. But if you tell yourself he's 16 and working on his own with a clapped-out lappy in a small village in the sticks with intermittent power and even less reliable internet access, then it's easier to accept.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Doc (2/13/2009)

Question is funny and odd, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't ask one or be crucified for that.

Agreed. I just wish he'd think and read up before asking stuff once in a while.

He keeps asking questions on advanced topics (SQL internals, memory management, structure of query process, etc) without the foundation necessary to understand the answers.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Chris Morris (2/13/2009)

Jeff Moden (2/12/2009)

This poster's been active for a couple of years...quite a few of his posts might make you gasp at their naivety. But if you tell yourself he's 16 and working on his own with a clapped-out lappy in a small village in the sticks with intermittent power and even less reliable internet access, then it's easier to accept.

I did not understand that....

Please would you explain?

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (2/13/2009)

Chris Morris (2/13/2009)

Jeff Moden (2/12/2009)

I did not understand that....

Please would you explain?

Sure. It's only natural to assume that someone we're communicating with is in similar circumstances to ourselves. Most of us will have colleagues to share ideas with, we will have been in a professional programming or DBA role for some time and we'll be - at the very least - rapidly heading towards our 30's with all the experience which age usually brings. Within this context, the poster's forum dialogue appears naive, even a little weird or funny.

But what if he (or she) is only 18 and the only person for miles around who's got hold of a lappy and a copy of SQL Server to play with in the office, in an attempt to better his lot? In this context, his (her) posts don't appear quite so alarming.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Allright... Thanks for the explanation..

Did you see this question?? :ermm:

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (2/13/2009)

Allright... Thanks for the explanation..

Don't you regularly export relational database systems to an Excel file?

• He says the Database has a .bak extension.

-Roy

• Michael Earl (2/13/2009)

Roy Ernest (2/13/2009)

Allright... Thanks for the explanation..

Don't you regularly export relational database systems to an Excel file?

All the time. Why restrict yourself to looking at three rows with some arcane SQL statement when you can look at almost all of them simultaneously in Excel! And colour them up!

First thing in the morning, export everything to Excel. Go make coffee. Then work in Excel all day, then last thing at night, import it all back into SQL Server. Navision Financials works much better in Excel, pity we can't do the same with Peoplesoft:crying:

• Chris Morris (2/13/2009)

But what if he (or she) is only 18 and the only person for miles around who's got hold of a lappy and a copy of SQL Server to play with in the office, in an attempt to better his lot?

The person in question is (or at least was early last year) a consultant working for a company in the UK. Before that he was a DBA/Database developer for at least a couple of years. He's told us enough of his jobs to know that he's a professional, not just playing around.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (2/13/2009)

Chris Morris (2/13/2009)

But what if he (or she) is only 18 and the only person for miles around who's got hold of a lappy and a copy of SQL Server to play with in the office, in an attempt to better his lot?

The person in question is (or at least was early last year) a consultant working for a company in the UK. Before that he was a DBA/Database developer for at least a couple of years. He's told us enough of his jobs to know that he's a professional, not just playing around.

That's plain scary...scarier than Grant even. Wonder if it was C&W...

• GilaMonster (2/13/2009)

Chris Morris (2/13/2009)

Sometimes I wonder if he as x years experience or x number of 1 year of experience?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,291 through 1,305 (of 66,641 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply