Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden (1/30/2009)

Sounds like a lot of fun but, consider this, would you like it if your post and name showed up on a "Twit List". Bad enough they show up on this thread. πŸ˜‰

As a proud contributor to the Twit List thread from the first page, it is really for those very special people that have really earned the title, not just the ordinarily clueless or obnoxious.

To quote myself on page one of the thread:

β€œThat guy is a perfect fit for the Twit List. Just the right combination of cluelessness, inflated opinion of himself, and sense of indignant self-entitlement.

The real problem with the Twit List will be keeping it to a reasonable size. We are operating in a target-rich environment.”

Harsh, but if you look at the posts of the member I was referring to, he had a body of work that really earned the title. In one thread he was complaining that DATEDIFF(day,'2006/01/01','2006/31/01') returned 30 instead of 31: "this DateDiff is quite decieving if you don't check it properly". For some reason, I felt compelled to explain that 31-1 = 30.

Some have made the list with only a single post, but that takes a really special talent. :Wow:

• Oh, I absolutely agree... when someone said that SSC would have 10-15 million members in 5-10 years, I made the correction that it would have 200 users and 10-15 million abusers. So, I'm right there with ya on the target rich environment. I just don't think we need a booger board on this forum. Even this thread, as fun as it's been and as much as it's provided a strain relief for some of us, is pretty nasty as it is and should probably be deleted in the next week or so.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (1/30/2009)

Oh, I absolutely agree... when someone said that SSC would have 10-15 million members in 5-10 years, I made the correction that it would have 200 users and 10-15 million abusers. So, I'm right there with ya on the target rich environment. I just don't think we need a booger board on this forum. Even this thread, as fun as it's been and as much as it's provided a strain relief for some of us, is pretty nasty as it is and should probably be deleted in the next week or so.

This is the Dark Side, yes. But steam we must at least left off with peers.

• Jeff Moden (1/30/2009)

Even this thread, as fun as it's been and as much as it's provided a strain relief for some of us, is pretty nasty as it is and should probably be deleted in the next week or so.

[font="Verdana"]I'm not so sure. I think it's important that people can read threads like this and see the frustration that those taking time to answer questions suffer from. Learning why posting silly questions gets bizarre or sarcastic replies is important too. After all, we don't want people to stay clueless.

Goes in search of a clue...[/font]

• Jeff Moden (1/30/2009)

Oh, I absolutely agree... when someone said that SSC would have 10-15 million members in 5-10 years, I made the correction that it would have 200 users and 10-15 million abusers. So, I'm right there with ya on the target rich environment. I just don't think we need a booger board on this forum. Even this thread, as fun as it's been and as much as it's provided a strain relief for some of us, is pretty nasty as it is and should probably be deleted in the next week or so.

Heh, but then everyone would lose their points too. πŸ˜› And some of you guys have a lot of points on here... πŸ˜€

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Nah. Don't drop this thread. And not because of "points". The entertainment value has been just too high.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• RBarryYoung (2/1/2009)

Jeff Moden (1/30/2009)

Heh, but then everyone would lose their points too. πŸ˜› And some of you guys have a lot of points on here... πŸ˜€

If this thread were deleted, I don't think we'd lose our points. My guess is that the post total is kept on a running basis separate from the posts themselves. If you want to test it, check your count, add a post, check your count (you may need to wait a bit), then delete the post you just added, then check your count again.

I don't feel like doing that at the moment.

• [font="Verdana"]I don't have enough points (yet) to risk it...[/font]

• Okay, never mind. That wasn't a good test. When you delete your post the count is adjusted. We'd have to have Steve tell us if we'd "lose our points" if the thread were deleted.

• Well, I finally made it through this thread. Great examples of how NOT to post questions to this or any other forum.

I don't think this thread should be deleted for various reasons a) I don't think it would work as The Thread would come back in time and restore it (or worse) and b) I'm having great fun reading and learning.

I think you guys are great for the help you do give people. And now that I've finished reading the thread... I think it's time to subscribe to it. Don't want to miss any of those pork chops flying (and I get to learn how to avoid having them aimed at me! Bonus! :w00t: )

-- Kit

• [font="Verdana"]I'm still holding out the frying pan, waiting for the pork chops to land.[/font]

• Jeff Moden (1/30/2009)

I think the "Twit List" had a different purpose than this thread. It was meant to identify those posters who were really causing a problem, and get the news out.

For example, the guy who was posting nonsense answers to questions as a means of advertising his SQL Server training videos. Besides posting bad answers, his training videos were terrible, at least according to everyone who reviewed them.

And then there was Gonxia...

• Is this a never-ending thread?

* Noel

• Michael Valentine Jones (2/2/2009)

...And then there was Gonxia...

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=71598

no way...

you have got to admire the dude's courage.

p.s. sorry bout the external link Steve.

Max

• O M G !

* Noel

Viewing 15 posts - 1,126 through 1,140 (of 66,632 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply