Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

I show an example in the query tuning book where defragmentation improves performance because of a scan, fewer pages read. I also explain all the reasons why, this probably doesn't matter most of the time, AND, probably doesn't help, most of the time. However, there is one example.

Heh... I promise to NOT tag your reply as SPAM, Grant. 😀 😀 😀  Do you have a link for that particular book?

Grant Fritchey wrote:

As to reorganize, Brad MacGeehee had an article back in 2006 or 2007 that showed how useless reorganizing indexes is. You spend, just shy of almost exactly the same amount of resources, and get crap out the other end. He detailed it all in the article. Google-fu may help.

What a memory... thanks, Grant.  I'll see if I can find that article.

Shifting gears a bit, every time I see the "word" "Google-fu", I think back to that old TV game series where people competed on some of the craziest obstacle courses I've ever seen.  I remember on of their opening remarks at the beginning of each episode and it always cracks me up.  "... where we put the "F-U" back into the word "FUN"". 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Bloody forum software did it again... since the post I just posted is the first one on a new page, it's not showing up until I make another post.  I sure wish they'd fix that.  I also told them about how the SPAM posts are not being counted for page-counts that affect paging.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I've logged quite a few bugs lately on things. We've got a test site setup for an upgrade to PHP/WP/Nami, which is delaying work on other bugs. The upgrade will allow a forum software upgrade and that may or may not fix something, but no one wants to spend time on something that might be fixed.

I know, I know, the calculation page bug is super annoying. As is the no nav with 16 posts in a thread.

Plus holiday, but plus priorities elsewhere in RG. I ought to learn more about WP, but I find querying the DB maddening, and likely I'd start trying to throw away lots of stuff to make it work more like a RDBMS forum software and upset everyone.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I've logged quite a few bugs lately on things. We've got a test site setup for an upgrade to PHP/WP/Nami, which is delaying work on other bugs. The upgrade will allow a forum software upgrade and that may or may not fix something, but no one wants to spend time on something that might be fixed.

I know, I know, the calculation page bug is super annoying. As is the no nav with 16 posts in a thread.

Plus holiday, but plus priorities elsewhere in RG. I ought to learn more about WP, but I find querying the DB maddening, and likely I'd start trying to throw away lots of stuff to make it work more like a RDBMS forum software and upset everyone.

Ummm... ok.  Why not the best of both worlds instead of "upset everyone"?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Thanks, Steve.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

If you mean add some relational stuff to the WP document store, I'm tempted. I think some of the enhancements could better use RDBMS structures and query them. Things like tags are a pain now, since they're stored in JSON documents.  The devs have resisted, since they want things to look WP-y, for staff changes.

I'm not sold that's a good idea, especially given the lack of ability to solve some issues.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I've logged quite a few bugs lately on things. We've got a test site setup for an upgrade to PHP/WP/Nami, which is delaying work on other bugs. The upgrade will allow a forum software upgrade and that may or may not fix something, but no one wants to spend time on something that might be fixed.

I personally like the "Upset everyone" approach.  I say go for it!

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• It's tempting, really. The downside is the time to learn how WP works and having to write PHP crap to run things.

If I had more experience with it already, I'd be tempted to delete all filed bugs and just manage stuff. I used to do some of that when this was ASP.NET/C#. Just fix things and not tell anyone.

Jeff Moden wrote:

If you mean add some relational stuff to the WP document store, I'm tempted. I think some of the enhancements could better use RDBMS structures and query them. Things like tags are a pain now, since they're stored in JSON documents.  The devs have resisted, since they want things to look WP-y, for staff changes.

I'm not sold that's a good idea, especially given the lack of ability to solve some issues.

Ah... I'm not sure what you originally meant by "upsetting everyone".  It thought you were talking about upsetting the users of the site.  Now I get the issues you're up against.  How "Classic" and totally understood.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

It's tempting, really. The downside is the time to learn how WP works and having to write PHP crap to run things.

If I had more experience with it already, I'd be tempted to delete all filed bugs and just manage stuff. I used to do some of that when this was ASP.NET/C#. Just fix things and not tell anyone.

For something that is supposed to be intuitive and easy to use, I find Word Press to be cumbersome.  I had to work on a web site for a volunteer organization I am a part of that was done in Word Press. The site was an information-only site.  There is no database behind it, and aside from a few links to URL's, it's all text and pictures.

It was a lot of swearing and head scratching.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• I think WordPress is great for me. I've used it for my blog and for T-SQL Tuesday. A lot of the admin/back end stuff is pretty simple for me, and there are some nice plugins to make things easy to do.

However, developing for it is weird.  When I've looked at plugins, the process of building them is weird for me, using a document db approach and lots of looping.

I think WordPress is great for me. I've used it for my blog and for T-SQL Tuesday. A lot of the admin/back end stuff is pretty simple for me, and there are some nice plugins to make things easy to do.

However, developing for it is weird.  When I've looked at plugins, the process of building them is weird for me, using a document db approach and lots of looping.

What language do you have to know to develop for it?  PHP?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• PHP

https://developer.wordpress.org/plugins/intro/

Lots to think about:

Plus database tables - https://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_Tables_with_Plugins

In general, it feels like a large uplift to just get started and add something without breaking anything. Plus, we've had a few pieces of forum software over the years, and as you start to make changes for best practices, then you can't upgrade anymore if the vendor patches things or adds features. Essentially you end up forking things in a crazy way.

Our devs do submit patches back to Project Nami (and I think BBPress), but overall, they have to choose to incorporate them, or we face a lot of "re-patches" after upgrades, which sometimes breaks things. I wish that we'd find a way to convince them to adopt some relational techniques for certain parts of this, but the WP model is more document store with lots of JSON.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 15 posts - 66,106 through 66,120 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply