Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I know this is a "why the heck didn't you have that stuff scripted out before, anyways" sort of situation, and you'd be right...

Just discovered today, working with a customer to get their Agent jobs set back up in our new Test environment that, well, the illustrious DBA (me) didn't script out their proxies, the credentials for same, or their DBMail profiles and operators...

Now, in my defense, we had 30 days to migrate all of production and all of test (SQL, web, other applications, lord only knows how many outside connections of various types including linked servers) so it was rather chaotic during this migration.

And it should say something that it's been almost 5 months since the migration wrapped up that we're still working on getting our test environment up and running.  Heck, the devs STILL have limited access to test because of things the hosting provider is STILL trying to complete / get them to fix.

Great way to start heading into a week off (well, OK, I still work tomorrow and now I've got my project for the day, but still)

• Just in case anyone else is having the issue... I've verified that I'm no longer getting email responses for posts that I've subscribed to or have responded to.  I've send a notification to webmaster@sqlservercentral.com .

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Just in case anyone else is having the issue... I've verified that I'm no longer getting email responses for posts that I've subscribed to or have responded to.  I've send a notification to webmaster@sqlservercentral.com .

Same here, last email notification I got was on the 26th of October.

😎

• Thanks for the reply, Eirikur.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Just in case anyone else is having the issue... I've verified that I'm no longer getting email responses for posts that I've subscribed to or have responded to.  I've send a notification to webmaster@sqlservercentral.com .

Same here, last email notification I got was on the 26th of October. 😎

Same here. I've seen no notifications at all recently. This isn't the first time the notifications died - someone will notice and fix it.

• I'm thinking that they've stretched Steve a bit too far... I can't even get an acknowledgment to the two emails that I've sent the WebMaster about the email notifications.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

I'm thinking that they've stretched Steve a bit too far... I can't even get an acknowledgment to the two emails that I've sent the WebMaster about the email notifications.

Just bumping the notification issue although I understand that bumping is kind of useless without the notification service not working 🙁

😎

• @Webmaster finally responded.  It turns out that Steve Jones is no longer the "watcher" there.  I got a hold of Steve through his email and he said they'd notify the folks that are supposed to be watching and he did.  I got a notification back from a human there and they asked if anyone else was experiencing the problem.  I notice that Phil Parkin posted on the "Website Issues" about 2 weeks ago and he had no joy there.  You also recently posted there.  I hope they start watching that, as well.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Ok... they've fixed the notifications issue and it appears have been doing things correctly for a while now.  Does anyone have any more problems with that issue?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• SGAB, does any one have a decent example of an Instead Of Update trigger that will handle more than one bloody row at a time and also ONLY update the columns that were actually updated?  I've not been able to find hide nor hair of one.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

SGAB, does any one have a decent example of an Instead Of Update trigger that will handle more than one bloody row at a time and also ONLY update the columns that were actually updated?  I've not been able to find hide nor hair of one.

Why not its own topic?  The examples I found are from when there's an insert into a view and then an INSTEAD OF trigger handles denormalization (iirc and afaik).  The code is from something I would have to refresh my memory.  Maybe it's helpful?

create or alter trigger dbo.trg_authorization_policies_hierarchy_vw_insert
    on dbo.authorization_policies_hierarchy_vw
    instead of insert
    as
    declare
    @aup table(aup_id bigint primary key not null,
    policy_name nvarchar(140) unique not null);

insert dbo.authorization_policies(pshp_id, policy_id, policy_name, created_dt)
    output inserted.aup_id, inserted.policy_name into @aup
    select pshp_id, policy_id, policy_name, created_dt
    from inserted;

insert dbo.authorization_policies_by_hierarchy(aup_id, hierarchy, created_dt)
    select aup.aup_id, i.hierarchy, sysutcdatetime()
    from @aup aup
    join inserted i on aup.policy_name=i.policy_name;
    go

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• Steve Collins wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

SGAB, does any one have a decent example of an Instead Of Update trigger that will handle more than one bloody row at a time and also ONLY update the columns that were actually updated?  I've not been able to find hide nor hair of one.

Why not its own topic?  The examples I found are from when there's an insert into a view and then an INSTEAD OF trigger handles denormalization (iirc and afaik).  The code is from something I would have to refresh my memory.  Maybe it's helpful?

create or alter trigger dbo.trg_authorization_policies_hierarchy_vw_insert
    on dbo.authorization_policies_hierarchy_vw
    instead of insert
    as
    declare
    @aup table(aup_id bigint primary key not null,
    policy_name nvarchar(140) unique not null);

insert dbo.authorization_policies(pshp_id, policy_id, policy_name, created_dt)
    output inserted.aup_id, inserted.policy_name into @aup
    select pshp_id, policy_id, policy_name, created_dt
    from inserted;

insert dbo.authorization_policies_by_hierarchy(aup_id, hierarchy, created_dt)
    select aup.aup_id, i.hierarchy, sysutcdatetime()
    from @aup aup
    join inserted i on aup.policy_name=i.policy_name;
    go

I have no issues with Instead of Insert.  Those are easy, just like you posted.  I'm trying to build an Instead of UPDATE that only updates the column that were actually updated so it won't fire any other "after" triggers that shouldn't fire.

As a bit of a sidebar, the tables I'm working with are quite wide.  Dynamic SQL will not "see" the logical INSERTED and UPDATED pseudo tables.  In the past, people have posted code that does a SELECT INTO a Temp table from the logical tables but that makes things horribly slow, especially for these wide tables.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• TRIGGER_NESTLEVEL?  I usually try to persuade novices out of it.  Maybe the non-INSTEAD OF triggers could ask themselves: "Have I been executed at an inappropriate nest level?"

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• Thanks, Steve.

It's a tougher question than I thought.

All I want to do is add an Instead Of Update trigger to a table, do a small task, and then do an actual update to only the original columns that were updated.  That's a PITA because the Inserted and Updated objects are not available in Dynamic SQL and it takes too long to copy all the rows from the Inserted and Updated objects to a temp table or two and I have no issues with figuring out which columns were updated and...

... I've never seen anyone or any code that will do such a thing and, so far, I can only do it with the temp table thing.  Hmmm... I wonder if a Temp Stored Procedure might work.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Your fingers might get considerably shorter, but you could always add a lot of these ...

IF UPDATE (colName )
    BEGIN
    -- Add your column to DSQL ...
    END;

Viewing 15 posts - 66,061 through 66,075 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply