Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

SPAM is a problem now, and it's not a simple one. I've filed a ticket to work with the third party on what is not catching more than it does.

I'll never understand some of the problems people have with spam.Β  For example, how hard would it be to write an "after insert" trigger to check for the obvious spam patterns in the titles that we've recently seen and have the system mark them as SPAM? πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Shifting gears a bit... the following message started showing up on my machine some time ago (seems like at least a week) on every post thread and ONLY for this site (SSC).Β  Is anyone else getting this?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Yep, start

Jeff Moden wrote:

Shifting gears a bit... the following message started showing up on my machine some time ago (seems like at least a week) on every post thread and ONLY for this site (SSC).Β  Is anyone else getting this?

Yep, started seeing it this morning:

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Jeff Moden wrote:

RBarryYoung wrote:

jm

Geez, 1 MILLION?!?!Β  Will this guy never stop talking?!?

Wow!Β  Mr. R. Barry Young... source of the term "Pseudo Cursors" for me.Β  How the heck are ya, Barry?Β  Very long time no see!

Hey Jeff, I couldn't miss your party!

I've been doing OK, retired a couple of years ago, but I still answer some questions over at StackOverflow.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Congratulations on the retirement.Β  I've just about given up on SO.Β  Discussions are discouraged... unless you happen to be a moderator. πŸ™

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

SPAM is a problem now, and it's not a simple one. I've filed a ticket to work with the third party on what is not catching more than it does.

I'll never understand some of the problems people have with spam.Β  For example, how hard would it be to write an "after insert" trigger to check for the obvious spam patterns in the titles that we've recently seen and have the system mark them as SPAM? πŸ˜‰

Feel free to write one. Then think about all the things this trigger has to look for, across time. We, and likely none of you, want to add triggers for specific cases that come up for a period of time. Then remember that people post lots of numbers and other data in here, and how could you be sure you aren't creating more issues that will drive other complaints or just break posting.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Shifting gears a bit... the following message started showing up on my machine some time ago (seems like at least a week) on every post thread and ONLY for this site (SSC).Β  Is anyone else getting this?

I get this randomly, not every time. Devs are trying to figure out what is broken, or if this is an ops/infra issue.

Seems to be only FF for me, not Chrome or Edge.

Jeff Moden wrote:

I get this randomly, not every time. Devs are trying to figure out what is broken, or if this is an ops/infra issue.

Seems to be only FF for me, not Chrome or Edge.

Thanks, Steve.Β  Just to add the extra info (I think I provided it once before but can't remember), I'm using FF almost exclusively and it appears somewhere near the end of every post for me.Β  I'll be happy to test any fix for folks.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• So I have noticed the”Ask SSC” link from the menu has been removed.

That a on purpose change, is the plan to wind down Ask or was it an β€œoooops” moment.

Jeff Moden wrote:

Feel free to write one. Then think about all the things this trigger has to look for, across time. We, and likely none of you, want to add triggers for specific cases that come up for a period of time. Then remember that people post lots of numbers and other data in here, and how could you be sure you aren't creating more issues that will drive other complaints or just break posting.

I'll remind you that 1) it's not my site and 2) it's not my site. πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

You forgot the third and the most important point, "it is not my site"

😎

Logic and intelligence are not necessarily two sides of a coin πŸ˜‰

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

You forgot the third and the most important point, "it is not my site" 😎

Logic and intelligence are not necessarily two sides of a coin πŸ˜‰

πŸ˜€

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I'll remind you that 1) it's not my site and 2) it's not my site. πŸ˜‰

It is, however, your contention this is easy...

• Easy.

Exactly the rabbit hole we all fall into sometimes.

If life was easy, would any of us have a job? After all, some in politics imply with a couple weeks training any coal miner could be a software programmer.

I have to agree it might be easy, but also run into some other issues, So easy depends on what the goal is.

It is, however, your contention this is easy...

'Nuff said and understood.Β  My apologies.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 65,956 through 65,970 (of 66,569 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply