Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

Michael L John wrote:

Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

frederico_fonseca wrote:

Michael L John wrote:

This person is in way over their head.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/user/bruin

one of those I refuse to help now - ignores suggestions and fails to supply requested information and just wishes for us to do their work for them (for free)

frederico_fonseca wrote:

Michael L John wrote:

one of those I refuse to help now - ignores suggestions and fails to supply requested information and just wishes for us to do their work for them (for free)

Just hinted that there might be time to call in an expert. 😎

I'm not sure they are even capable of understanding what to ask, and worse, what to provide.  Their posts have bounced all over the place.  I'm betting they are a network admin (or something) that was either thrown into something, or worse, sees a perceived issue.

I think that there is a large language barrier also.

I agree on the observation of language barriers, both human and programming languages

😎

This person I will no longer help.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/user/ahmed_elbarbary2010

All of his posts are "here's the data, write my code"

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

Michael L John wrote:

Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

frederico_fonseca wrote:

Michael L John wrote:

frederico_fonseca wrote:

Michael L John wrote:

Just hinted that there might be time to call in an expert. 😎

I'm not sure they are even capable of understanding what to ask, and worse, what to provide.  Their posts have bounced all over the place.  I'm betting they are a network admin (or something) that was either thrown into something, or worse, sees a perceived issue.

I think that there is a large language barrier also.

I agree on the observation of language barriers, both human and programming languages

😎

I have to disagree - I believe this individual learned early in their career how to manipulate co-workers into doing their work for them.  Now, they are doing the same thing in the forums - by doing 'just enough' to make it appear that they have made an attempt so you will then continue providing the help they need until you finally end up providing a full blown solution.

There have been many times this particular individual comes back with things like 'here is my attempt - will this work'.  And when you answer without code - the ask is to provide code to 'show' them.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• There are several people that I've recently decided are earning a living based on the kindness of strangers that I will no longer help especially since they've been doing the same thing for a really long time.

In a previous company, we had a couple of folks where if useful knowledge of SQL were gasoline, they would have enough to run a piss-ant's minibike through a match box.  They "survived" by using forums and they couldn't tell a good answer from a bad one and, of course, they were slow because they had to wait for forum answers.  I blame the boss that hired them, who also had a "gasoline" problem.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I don't quite know how I feel about this person, though I haven't looked through many posts. I do see them thanking people, which is (sadly) all too rare.

I may or may not disagree with your decisions, but I respect them. We each have to decide who we help, and to what extent. Valid reasons and arguments to do either.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I don't quite know how I feel about this person, though I haven't looked through many posts. I do see them thanking people, which is (sadly) all too rare.

I may or may not disagree with your decisions, but I respect them. We each have to decide who we help, and to what extent. Valid reasons and arguments to do either.

Not sure which one you are referring to - but I do want to clarify that I still attempt to help them.  However, I have changed my approach to more of a coaching/mentoring approach instead of providing finished working code.  If that doesn't work and all that person wants is someone to write the code for them, it becomes obvious that is what they are doing and it can be addressed.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• No one in particular, just the discussion in general.

I would prefer most people teach/mentor, rather than just provide code. As much as I like seeing solutions when I have a question, I also appreciate the explanation of what I've done wrong, or some hints to help guide me.

Just putting code as a response is not something I like to do.

• Jeffrey Williams wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I don't quite know how I feel about this person, though I haven't looked through many posts. I do see them thanking people, which is (sadly) all too rare.

Not sure which one you are referring to - but I do want to clarify that I still attempt to help them.  However, I have changed my approach to more of a coaching/mentoring approach instead of providing finished working code.  If that doesn't work and all that person wants is someone to write the code for them, it becomes obvious that is what they are doing and it can be addressed.

Exactly.  I rarely "just give them code".  I've ask "what have you tried" a lot just to see where they may be.

Unfortunately, there are a few folks who just provide some clearly far more complicated code than the poster will understand.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• At least they live up to the name of this thread. 😀

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I try to help. I really don't look at who it is. I try.

Now, if they get demanding. I walk away. No need to argue or whatever. I helped, or I didn't. You're not paying me, so my obligations to you are pretty darned limited.

Still, I'll try.

And this isn't criticizing anyone who makes other choices, whether to do more, less, targeted, not, who cares. Except for the aspects of this place that fall under my job (a bunch of it), this is just about trying to help. As a volunteer, you're under zero obligations. Further, there's more than one right way. Follow your path.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I normally do try.  I even violated my own decision to "black ball" someone last night and tried to figure out what the heck it was they were talking about.  They use terms like "I'm a newbie at SQL" but if you look at their history, they've been using SQL for almost 2 years.  That's not exactly a "newbie" in my book but I may have to change my definition there.  I've seen people that have been working with SQL for more than a decade that don't seem to have any more than newbie knowledge.

I also work too many hours at my real job and so I don't have a lot of time to figure out what the op wants or have 20 discussions trying to figure that out and so I'm finding that I just have to let some even interesting posts go.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

I normally do try.  I even violated my own decision to "black ball" someone last night and tried to figure out what the heck it was they were talking about.  They use terms like "I'm a newbie at SQL" but if you look at their history, they've been using SQL for almost 2 years.  That's not exactly a "newbie" in my book but I may have to change my definition there.  I've seen people that have been working with SQL for more than a decade that don't seem to have any more than newbie knowledge.

I also work too many hours at my real job and so I don't have a lot of time to figure out what the op wants or have 20 discussions trying to figure that out and so I'm finding that I just have to let some even interesting posts go.

10 years of experience <> (1 year of experience) x 10

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

I normally do try.  I even violated my own decision to "black ball" someone last night and tried to figure out what the heck it was they were talking about.  They use terms like "I'm a newbie at SQL" but if you look at their history, they've been using SQL for almost 2 years.  That's not exactly a "newbie" in my book but I may have to change my definition there.  I've seen people that have been working with SQL for more than a decade that don't seem to have any more than newbie knowledge.

10 years of experience <> (1 year of experience) x 10

Heh.... Yeah...  You're definitely preaching to the choir there.  Remember the "GETDATE()" question I asked in interviews?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Any one got any ideas why the discussion post for today's article, Can We Please Stop Sending Passwords Over the Wire?, has been marked as "spam"?

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

Any one got any ideas why the discussion post for today's article, Can We Please Stop Sending Passwords Over the Wire?, has been marked as "spam"?

Someone got trigger-happy and thought they saw the word 'airline' in there somewhere?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• it was me - had already clicked button when I noticed mistake - did send the OP a message apologizing.

and yes it was pressure due to the spam abuse over last few days.

Viewing 15 posts - 65,896 through 65,910 (of 66,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply