Are the posted questions getting worse?

• My goal is to come up with questions

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• Sometimes you have to wonder.

I put together an extract of data for one of our clients for monthly invoicing. It's one of those clients that need to have all kinds of special things done for them. Lots of manual work.  So, instead of getting a ticket to generate the spreadsheet every month, I put together a Flow (which is painful, BTW) to put the spreadsheet on the Finance groups SharePoint site.

I didn't have rights to that site.  I ask the SharePoint admin to grant me the rights. Nope, it's finance, you shouldn't have access to that data.

Uh, I'm the DBA.  I can see every damn piece of data in the entire company.

Thankfully the Finance director who is the owner of the SharePoint site had sense enough to add me.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Block the source - brilliant!

DBA is not a job that should be a title bestowed on someone lightly. They are indeed trusted to protect valuable information.

I can remember 20 years ago a similar situation involving when I used FrontPage with frames, and they came up with a standard of DreamWeaver and no frames. I met with Sally, and she saw I could mimic their template, still using frames, and not have to rebuild everything. Our meeting ended with the understanding there was no real value in their standard for our group. Just don’t tell anyone, your content of over 1500 graphs updated daily is not the typical publisher we had in mind.

Like you, I found the right person who understood the problem. Standards are good to a point, and there are sometimes good reasons to make exceptions.

• Michael L John wrote:

Sometimes you have to wonder.

I put together an extract of data for one of our clients for monthly invoicing. It's one of those clients that need to have all kinds of special things done for them. Lots of manual work.  So, instead of getting a ticket to generate the spreadsheet every month, I put together a Flow (which is painful, BTW) to put the spreadsheet on the Finance groups SharePoint site.

I didn't have rights to that site.  I ask the SharePoint admin to grant me the rights. Nope, it's finance, you shouldn't have access to that data.

Uh, I'm the DBA.  I can see every damn piece of data in the entire company.

Thankfully the Finance director who is the owner of the SharePoint site had sense enough to add me.

Always thought that Micro$oft got the SharePoint name wrong, SharePain is far more appropriate 😉

😎

Jokes apart, far too often we see access blocked by someone, just because they can, not that it makes any sense doing so.  That is in my opinion, at least a Yellow Card Booking (English Football terms)

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

Always thought that Micro$oft got the SharePoint name wrong, SharePain is far more appropriate 😉 😎

SharePain.  I have to remember that.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Trying to be gentle, not always easy: https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/sql-server-specs-question

😎

Poor sod, an accidental DBA victim.

• Accidental is indeed a gentle description. Looks like the OS is the same, and the file being loaded, and everything else differs.

Finish your coffee before taking a peek. Or there may be another accident.

• Greg Edwards-268690 wrote:

Accidental is indeed a gentle description. Looks like the OS is the same, and the file being loaded, and everything else differs.

Two almost identical sauce pots on the hob, similar ingredients but once you lift the lid, the contents are entirely different.

😎

If we explore this further, we will get the perfect recipe for a slow roast 😉

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

Greg Edwards-268690 wrote:

Accidental is indeed a gentle description. Looks like the OS is the same, and the file being loaded, and everything else differs.

Two almost identical sauce pots on the hob, similar ingredients but once you lift the lid, the contents are entirely different.

😎

If we explore this further, we will get the perfect recipe for a slow roast 😉

They truly do have the possibility of learning a lot, if they they grab it.

Although a couple important details have been left out. Like if either is a production environment. And whether the goal is to improve performance on one or both boxes. Looking at Developer on one box, while a different version of Standard is on the other, they are indeed set up for other challenges if they don’t understand the implications.

I’d hate to assume too much, but just the description of the slower box implies a lot besides sql server will come into play.

• RANT:  We are 9 post into page 4.351 of this post.  But the link from the 'Active Threads' still takes me to the top of page 4,350.  Does this bother anyone else?  Or is it just me?  I would've thought that this would be fixed by now.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• below86 wrote:

RANT:  We are 9 post into page 4.351 of this post.  But the link from the 'Active Threads' still takes me to the top of page 4,350.  Does this bother anyone else?  Or is it just me?  I would've thought that this would be fixed by now.

Just like the link from the notification email takes me to page 4350. It's been this way for quite a while now. Does it bother people? Of course, especially given the precision of what many of us do for a living.

What can we do about it? Nothing.

Edit: After clicking submit to save this post, it took me back to page 4350. It is what it is.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Ed Wagner.
  • Ed Wagner wrote:

below86 wrote:

RANT:  We are 9 post into page 4.351 of this post.  But the link from the 'Active Threads' still takes me to the top of page 4,350.  Does this bother anyone else?  Or is it just me?  I would've thought that this would be fixed by now.

Just like the link from the notification email takes me to page 4350. It's been this way for quite a while now. Does it bother people? Of course, especially given the precision of what many of us do for a living.

What can we do about it? Nothing.

Edit: After clicking submit to save this post, it took me back to page 4350. It is what it is.

You are but a mouse click away. It is just a user complaint.

Wait - we are users. I guess we have been put in our place. At least the bread crumb to follow is handy.

I wonder if this is a bug, or has graduated into a feature? Not a showstopper, but should be addressed.

• the page thing is a bug, but as with many in software, it's a tiny fairly small bug. It's obscure, and doesn't reproduce with small threads. It's some weird combination of math with deleted posts and spam that grows across time. It's filed, someone has attempted to fix it, and so far failed.

Low priority, as I'm sure many of you have in your systems.

• Low priority bugs? With users, there is no such thing! High priority is as low as it goes.

I am glad the bread crumb is there.

Speaking of bread crumbs, to those who celebrate Turkey Day - have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving.

• Regarding the accidental DBA, has no one seriously running into the anti-virus scanning issue? The more he posts, the more I'm convinced one of his servers is scanning the db files. Yet no one, not even him, has responded to my post on the issue.

Unless my post really didn't show up on that thread, but then if not, why am I suddenly subscribed to the chain?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 65,251 through 65,265 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply