Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

I almost started to answer this until I saw the /sarcasm tag you included.  Of course I have been up all night since I was sleeping on and off all day yesterday.

I'm not sure if I should be pleased you're happy to help me with such a (silly) question or upset that you thought, for even a second, my question was genuine, Lynn. 😉

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

I almost started to answer this until I saw the /sarcasm tag you included.  Of course I have been up all night since I was sleeping on and off all day yesterday.

I'm not sure if I should be pleased you're happy to help me with such a (silly) question or upset that you thought, for even a second, my question was genuine, Lynn. 😉

Be happy, that is always the better choice.

• Thom A wrote:

Now, perhaps someone can help me. I have a database with fields, and one field has a value of "eggs, bacon, sausage", how do I get this to have 1 line for each value in the field?

/sarcasm

Give me the eggs and bacon. Viola! You have sausage on a line by itself.

/NotSarcasm. YUM!

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Thom A wrote:

I must admit, I tire of seeing the same questions on SO day in day out at times, along with the lack of people that have heard of a search engine.

Now, perhaps someone can help me. I have a database with fields, and one field has a value of "eggs, bacon, sausage", how do I get this to have 1 line for each value in the field?

/sarcasm

Serious data quality problem there...  You need to add biscuits and gravy modifiers for the sausage, english muffin, butter, and a side of grits, oatmeal, or cream of wheat plus 4 12 oz cups of good coffee.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Dammit... I made myself hungry typing that.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

If I understand SO correctly, all they want is an answer, not necessarily the best answer.  Also, don't try and have a discussion as they will shut you down.

Most of the answers aren't even right, although i have found some interesting tricks that were wrong for the actual question they answered but nifty in other places 😛

• Jeff Moden wrote:

There's the occasional gem to be found but...

In my 2.5 months there were 2 answers which stood out as real gems.

Check this out.  Ben Thul posted a full working example of hierarchyid complete with .ToString().  Nice!

https://stackoverflow.com/a/63798392/6748758

Also, like many SQL devs I concatenate strings together without a thought all the time.  Here's SSC's Thom A (who is Larnu on SO) with a great explanation.  A variation of this was posted here on SSC I think.

https://stackoverflow.com/a/64334047/6748758

Two gems found along the dirt road with potholes and errant bullets flying around 🙂

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• Thom A wrote:

I must admit, I tire of seeing the same questions on SO day in day out at times, along with the lack of people that have heard of a search engine.

/sarcasm

Trying to come up with a silly pun on green eggs and ham (I failed) by googling Seuss SQL,  I did accidentally come across what appears to be a site with its pants down.

https://www.kissthisguy.com/dr-seuss-misheard-songs-lyrics-2122.htm

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it. When we enquire into any subject, the first thing we have to do is to know what books have treated of it. This leads us to look at catalogues, and at the backs of books in libraries."
    — Samuel Johnson
    I wonder, would the great Samuel Johnson have replaced that with "GIYF" now?

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

If I understand SO correctly, all they want is an answer, not necessarily the best answer.  Also, don't try and have a discussion as they will shut you down.

The very nice chat we're having here would be completely verboten!  Image developers acting as human beings, it's shocking I tell you

• ZZartin wrote:

Most of the answers aren't even right...

The two most consistently awful crap slingers are also the two highest ranked members.  Coincidence?  Meh, I don't think so

• I can understand basic, foundational questions, but what has been driving me batty lately are the questions that you can copy and paste into google and click "I'm Feeling Lucky" and get the correct solutions[/url].

I am just seeing a lot of people that do not do any work before posting. Then they proceed to make you pull teeth to get enough information to actually answer the question.

It could just be that I haven't had enough sleep.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by  jasondweller.

Male Ultracore - the best way to boost testosterone.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• jasondweller wrote:

I can understand basic, foundational questions, but what has been driving me batty lately are the questions that you can copy and paste into google and click "I'm Feeling Lucky" and get the correct answer.

I am just seeing a lot of people that do not do any work before posting. Then they proceed to make you pull teeth to get enough information to actually answer the question.

It could just be that I haven't had enough sleep.

It could be sleep deprivation, but I don't think it is. That's the reason I stopped answering questions. It just got to the point where it was too much of a struggle to help someone who said they wanted help, but then showed otherwise. All it did was cause frustration and fill up my inbox.

• It's called gaslighting.  It's such a shame and it makes me sick to read this.

• I'm getting old so I have to stay away from open flame to avoid gaslighting. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 65,236 through 65,250 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply