Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Phil Parkin wrote:

As almost everyone on this forum knows, Excel is a numerical analysis tool, and should not be used as a database in any professional situation.

Why I think everyone on this forum will almost always ask for a CSV file for data; then we have control over the data types and processing choices of the Extraction Process. For the last time ACE, no, just because the first 10 rows have a numerical value doesn't mean that the column is a float! >_< Stop Assuming my column's gender data type; you're not allowed to do that in 2020.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• jonathan.crawford wrote:

How would Microsoft actually handle this case though, without disabling the ability to convert MAR1 into the 1st of March for the rest of the users? If the trick would be to format the column for genetics or something, there are already formatting options that negate that activity. This action is probably useful to a large number of users, although I don't use it myself.

I think this is much ado about nothing on the part of the scientists. If they are too careless to format the spreadsheets correctly (like the rest of us have to do to preserve leading zeroes, etc. in daily work) then they have no excuse.

Heh... it just wouldn't be that difficult to have a button in the ribbon bar to temporarily disable auto-magic date conversions BUT, you've hit the other nail on the head.  Even scientists don't necessarily take the time to learn the tools they supposedly depend on.  That's a part of my OMG factor at reading this article.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hey Lynn,

Sorry to hear about your impending doom. Now that you know how to search within your company, hope that you can get something.

In addition to all the great advice given, I'll offer one more. Go on every interview that you can... even if you know that you don't want / will not accept that job. This gives great experience in those job interviews. Nothing relaxes you more in an interview than knowing that you wouldn't take this job, and all you want is this interview experience.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• In nearly 30 years of using excel there are very few situations that don't have a straight forward work around.

412-977-3526 call/text

• Take a pdf of your monthly credit card statement, and use Adobe to convert it to Excel.

Then see what it takes to clean it up. Getting rid of the graphics is just a couple lines of code. The rest is a bit more challenging to get to just the cards used, date, where, and amount. Where my wife works, they usually need 24 months of this information in Excel to categorize for divorce mediation.

Initially, she thought it would be easy to copy and paste rather than key all this in. The first cell with data was 30 lines of data in one cell. Then there were merged cells, where when you removed the merging, resulted in data not always in the same column, plus varying columns being blank.

I got a nice little side job parsing this apart and making it usable. Faster and more consistent than keying it in. And with quick turnaround, they can take short notice cases they used to turn away.

Since some of this formatting is likely due to Excel ‘helping’ the user, it is a feature that works for me.

• Robert Sterbal wrote:

In nearly 30 years of using excel there are very few situations that don't have a straight forward work around.

Heh... I look at it another way...

In more than 30 years of using Excel, I've found there are very few situations that don't require a work around. 😀

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Excel: enable bad solutions

Access: implement bad solutions that require other bad solutions in order to function

PowerBI: Automate all the bad solutions with a bad process, and call it "data science"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• I particularily enjoy pasting dates into excel, sort of like a box of chocolates ...

• It takes less than 10 keystrokes to convert a column to text. (Ctrl + space, alt + 1, alt + C, t, t enter)

I'm getting the impression that you think a product for hundreds of millions of users has to work the way you want it to. If it doesn't, the product is bad.

412-977-3526 call/text

• x wrote:

I particularily enjoy pasting dates into excel, sort of like a box of chocolates ...

Spring Surprise or Lamb's Bladder Cup?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Robert Sterbal wrote:

I'm getting the impression that you think a product for hundreds of millions of users has to work the way you want it to. If it doesn't, the product is bad.

Heh... Correct! 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Robert Sterbal wrote:

It takes less than 10 keystrokes to convert a column to text. (Ctrl + space, alt + 1, alt + C, t, t enter)

10~ key strokes to do that is a lot of key strokes in my mind. This is actually one of those times where it's actually probably quicker and easier to use the mouse.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• So, getting my 8 and 10 year old grand kids to take showers during the Covid crisis has been tough.  Today, after a lot of begging, the 8 year old finally goes and gets a shower.

I'm on my weekly Teams call with my boss,  and a semi-naked wet little boy comes strolling up behind me.  My boss lost it.  He was laughing so hard he had to end the meeting.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Better than my Zoom. Just a cat jumping on the desk

• Michael L John wrote:

So, getting my 8 and 10 year old grand kids to take showers during the Covid crisis has been tough.  Today, after a lot of begging, the 8 year old finally goes and gets a shower.

I'm on my weekly Teams call with my boss,  and a semi-naked wet little boy comes strolling up behind me.  My boss lost it.  He was laughing so hard he had to end the meeting.

hahaha....sounds familiar. "You need to take a shower"....."um, how about tomorrow" *finger guns*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

Viewing 15 posts - 65,011 through 65,025 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply