Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Well, I guess it's time to tell the community what I have known for about 8 months.  At this moment it looks like my last day at Parsons is definitely going to be 2020-08-20, just two more weeks.  Which sort of sucks because I thought I had found safe ground for a at least 1 or 2 months but it doesn't look like the project lead and PM communicated that information back to my functional manager.  I am hoping the Jon and I can fix that next week to at least give me some reprieve.

Talking with one of the other people on the project it looks like I may have been going about my search in house wrong.  Instead of just looking for a new full time position I should have been looking for other projects that were using SQL Server and needed expert help like that I could provide.  Of course I really don't know how to network inside a large project focused organization.

I have applied for several positions both inside and outside of Parsons but haven't heard anything but crickets so far.

I should go out and fully update my LinkedIn profile, that could help.  Curious, does anyone think it would be beneficial to pay for the Premium level? I can get it for 30 day free right now.  I was always reluctant to do so in the past while I had a solid fulltime position because the promotion is an opt-out thing meaning you automatically start paying for it if you don't cancel before the end of the promotional period.  I really would prefer an opt-in format meaning I don't give my payment information until I decide to opt-in after the promotional period.

I would be open to any assistance, like looking over my resume, making suggestions on how to improve my LinkedIn profile, just a general shoulder to cry on.  Okay, that last is a joke, sort of.

• Wow, sqlservercentral doesn't like MS Edge as a browser. You don't get the drop down from the Forums to let you select active threads or the like plus you get an Failed to load plugin: hm_bbpuip_image (I won't go into the long url, plus the tail end is covered by a close button).

• Step 1, get a much nicer picture for linked in and smile a little bit.

Step 2, update your recent history and make sure you list your major accomplishments!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I've used the LinkedIn Premium, a long time ago and found it to be a bit of a waste.

It lets you send more messages and get better details of searches that you've been included in but nothing starting.

Setting the 'Job Seeking Preferences' in your profile, to indicate that you're open to opportunities and ensure that your job history, profile and skills are up to date. You'll be picked up in recruiter's searches as somebody available and they'll approach you before too long.

Best of luck and I hope your job-hunting goes well.

• I have a standing offer on LinkedIn to promote anyone looking for work. I'll double down on that for Threadizens. I can actually say I know that you know what you're talking about. So Lynn, if you are looking, send me a link to your profile. I'll push it to my group. I also have a head hunter who was looking for people. I normally don't link to them, ever. However, she was smart enough to promote her involvement in Scouting in her request for a contact. I can't help but support Scouts. Anyway, I can also pass on the link to her.

Anyone else looking, same offer.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

I have a standing offer on LinkedIn to promote anyone looking for work. I'll double down on that for Threadizens. I can actually say I know that you know what you're talking about. So Lynn, if you are looking, send me a link to your profile. I'll push it to my group. I also have a head hunter who was looking for people. I normally don't link to them, ever. However, she was smart enough to promote her involvement in Scouting in her request for a contact. I can't help but support Scouts. Anyway, I can also pass on the link to her.

Likewise Grant, that is if you need a proper job 😉

😎

• Wow Lynn, that stinks.  I was pretty fearful of being eliminated when we let a significant number of folks go in April.  I definitely was not looking forward to looking for a job at 62.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

I have a standing offer on LinkedIn to promote anyone looking for work. I'll double down on that for Threadizens. I can actually say I know that you know what you're talking about. So Lynn, if you are looking, send me a link to your profile. I'll push it to my group. I also have a head hunter who was looking for people. I normally don't link to them, ever. However, she was smart enough to promote her involvement in Scouting in her request for a contact. I can't help but support Scouts. Anyway, I can also pass on the link to her.

You ARE the MAN, Grant!  I don't need your good services (at least not yet and hope I don't) but I've seen some of your posts on LinkedIn to endorse people looking for a job.

Lynn, do some of the things I recommended about your profile on LinkedIn and then, seriously, take advantage of Grant's good offer.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Grant, once I have my profile updated and checked I will be more than happy to take you up on your offer, and yes, when I do send you the link please pass it on to the head hunter.

Thank you.

• Lynn, a bit late, and sorry to hear you're unexpectedly looking.

A couple things to think about, besides the advice above.

• Contact the UG leaders around here (Denver, CS, Boulder) and ask them to send your profile to the recruiter sponsors
    • Write a couple versions of your resume that target different jobs if you're open to more of a dev role v admin role, mostly the same info, but emphasize your skills more in one area v the other.
    • Post notes on LI, Twitter, etc. that you're looking for work. Use your network as best you can.  Post your LI profile in places, including here.
    • Make sure your blog/articles are linked from your profile and resume. They provide some weight to your skills
    • Practice some interviews with friend, threadizens, etc. It's always good to beef up soft skills. Getting friends to ask hard questions will prep you for phone/live interviews.

Good luck. Reach out if you need help. I'll keep an eye out for stuff.

• OMG!  The world has gone completely mad.  If you still don't think that spreadsheets rule the world, read the following article.  The "punch line" after the title of the article is "Sometimes it’s easier to rewrite genetics than update Excel".

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/6/21355674/human-genes-rename-microsoft-excel-misreading-dates

This has been a known issue in Excel since the day it came out and they've still not made a provision for it.  Talk about the "Big Blue" syndrome.  Wow... just WOW!

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• How would Microsoft actually handle this case though, without disabling the ability to convert MAR1 into the 1st of March for the rest of the users? If the trick would be to format the column for genetics or something, there are already formatting options that negate that activity. This action is probably useful to a large number of users, although I don't use it myself.

I think this is much ado about nothing on the part of the scientists. If they are too careless to format the spreadsheets correctly (like the rest of us have to do to preserve leading zeroes, etc. in daily work) then they have no excuse.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Honestly, why is it converting MARCH1 to a date in the first place. MARCH1 doesn't have a year, so it's not a date... Changing it to a date means it guesses/assumes the year; which is just as bad...

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Excel is doing its best to be helpful, though this 'help' is often a hindrance to advanced users.

Turning off auto-formatting could, perhaps, be enabled as a spreadsheet-specific option, but that would not fix the export/import errors.

As almost everyone on this forum knows, Excel is a numerical analysis tool, and should not be used as a database in any professional situation.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

OMG!  The world has gone completely mad.  If you still don't think that spreadsheets rule the world, read the following article.  The "punch line" after the title of the article is "Sometimes it’s easier to rewrite genetics than update Excel".

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/6/21355674/human-genes-rename-microsoft-excel-misreading-dates

This has been a known issue in Excel since the day it came out and they've still not made a provision for it.  Talk about the "Big Blue" syndrome.  Wow... just WOW!

There is a word describing this, starts with a W and sounds like the name of an anti-drifting maritime device

😎

Just proves that some people are willing to buy things at a market without a haggle, a bit like MS-Excel subscription 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 64,996 through 65,010 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply