Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

A moment of silence, please.

I heard from his family and Mike Vessey, https://www.sqlservercentral.com/author/mvdba, passed away on 25 Jun 2020. I was pleased to meet Mike and host him on a panel at one of our SQL in the City events a couple years ago.

If I hear more or have an obituary notice, I'll post it here.

Oh, lordy... another good one gone.  So sad.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

I heard from his family and Mike Vessey, https://www.sqlservercentral.com/author/mvdba, passed away on 25 Jun 2020. I was pleased to meet Mike and host him on a panel at one of our SQL in the City events a couple years ago.

R.I.P. Mike

😎

• If Steve finds an obit link and you worked with him, please think about leaving a post on the memorial stating what impact he may have had on you. I found it very comforting when my grandfather passed reading stories about him interacting professionally or as an educator to people. I knew he did some of that, but it was different to hear from the people who felt he was important to them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Rest in peace Mike

• I don't often post here ( forced retirement due to current pandemic); but he was one of the guys whose advice I would read and heed. A sad day.

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

Very sad news. My condolences to his family and those that knew him well.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Indeed very sad News, R.I.P. and my condolences to his family.

• I've decided to add my name to the list of Steve's around here.  My first post on SSC was about 1 year ago.  When I signed up I wasn't sure what was the right to go.  Seems like a good time to get rid of the old 'scdecade' anonymous screen name.

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• Steve Collins wrote:

I've decided to add my name to the list of Steve's around here.  My first post on SSC was about 1 year ago.  When I signed up I wasn't sure what was the right to go.  Seems like a good time to get rid of the old 'scdecade' anonymous screen name.

And now all I can think about is the monkey from Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• jonathan.crawford wrote:

Steve Collins wrote:

I've decided to add my name to the list of Steve's around here.  My first post on SSC was about 1 year ago.  When I signed up I wasn't sure what was the right to go.  Seems like a good time to get rid of the old 'scdecade' anonymous screen name.

And now all I can think about is the monkey from Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNoucWX5QCw

I had to look it up!

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• Then you must not be familiar with the FLDSMDFR (pronounced "fl-dzz-mm-duh-fur"), the inspiration for all my acronyms at work. Now I have to go build a function with that name that does....something....only works if you put input as "water" and returns random foods...

• In the "old" system, we used to be able to get RSS feeds from people's blogs. Is that possible now? I don't see that option when I'm at https://www.sqlservercentral.com/author/RSP

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Checking, Wayne. Not sure where these might be. I thought WP generated these automatically.

• Thanks Steve

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 64,981 through 64,995 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply