Are the posted questions getting worse?

• It's interesting. A friend was over last night. He has 400+ reports under him. Had to let 10% go at the beginning of the year. Easy to do. Got told this week that he needs to let 30% go because of less business.

Works at a large tech company that I can't name, but we all know the name. Crazy times.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

It's interesting. A friend was over last night. He has 400+ reports under him. Had to let 10% go at the beginning of the year. Easy to do. Got told this week that he needs to let 30% go because of less business.

Works at a large tech company that I can't name, but we all know the name. Crazy times.

Heh... Redgate? 😀 😀 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Michael L John wrote:

Well, the big company meeting announcing what changes will be made was held this morning.  I will still have a job, but everyone making over 60k is getting an automatic 20% pay cut.  No company match on the 401k.

I wonder if they realize that good technicians are still valuable, and are still being hired.  I'm guessing that everyone in my group can get a 20% raise over their current salary by moving on.

I've had some friends disagree, but I worry that older/more $$ employees might get screwed as businesses cut down and use this change to clear some of the extra staff and maybe reduce costs.

I am the canary in your coal mine.

Rumor has it that the first people that will get axed are people that keep badmouthing SQL Profiler.  😀 😀 😀

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

No need to pile on for the following but, because of things like this, security breeches in the world just don't surprise me anymore.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/only-one-expression-can-be-specified-in-the-select-list-when-the-subquery-is-not

How do these people get their jobs?

Please note, this kind of developers are not the ones whose salaries are getting cut:

Michael L John wrote:

I will still have a job, but everyone making over 60k is getting an automatic 20% pay cut. 

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

I am the canary in your coal mine.

Rumor has it that the first people that will get axed are people that keep badmouthing SQL Profiler.  😀 😀 😀

HA! Nice.

However, you'd be wrong. In fact, the intro class on ExEvents we did at our event last week, Redgate Streamed, was so wildly successful, we're looking at doing several more. Breaking it down into an even more introductory and basic one and an advanced one, along with one, or more, specific to Redgate tools. ExEvents is the future and the future is right now! WHOOP!

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

ExEvents is the future and the future is right now! WHOOP!

Yeah.

Still the future...

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Heh... Redgate? 😀 😀 😀

:), fortunately (for Grant), no.

We're actually really slow to hire and fire. Our CEO told us in Feb not to worry and we could pay salary for a year if we didn't get business, so just carry on, prepare, and do the best we can.

Just kidding about Grant.

• To be sure, I was just kidding about Redgate.  It was pretty obvious which company you were talking about.  As for Grant... Kind of like real brothers (we both survived our tours on submarines...), I have to punch him in the arm once in a while just to prove to him that he's still a brother. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• Removed

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Assuming @scdecade can see this, that's so clearly spam. I marked it as such. If you'd like to explain why you think posting about a wod software you're selling or promoting here without discussion is appropriate, I'll listen. Otherwise, the spam hammer is out.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• I'm not selling anything.  I'll take it elsewhere tho.  Thanks.

• Steve Collins wrote:

I'm not selling anything.  I'll take it elsewhere tho.  Thanks.

What were you going for then? This sure looked promotional. Although, maybe I'm wrong and the Thread Denizens can correct me.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Sorry, I was happy because my project worked.  I'm not trying to sell anything.  You won't miss this post so it's gone.

Viewing 15 posts - 64,801 through 64,815 (of 66,568 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply