Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I'm glad my wife isn't on this thread...

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I'm glad my wife isn't on this thread...

I'll bet she is too! 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• All of you are. If she saw a few of these posts, she'd sneak onto my desktop and start banning your accounts.

All of you are. If she saw a few of these posts, she'd sneak onto my desktop and start banning your accounts.

or she would create a new account and start having fun with/like everyone else

• So, our office is finding out just how poorly our VPN works.  First, most obvious problem, they can't do a split tunnel so internet traffic doesn't go through the VPN (security rules.)  Second, well, turns out they were ALLOWING Facebook / Youtube / etc on the network and through the VPN (and I'm sure there were PLENTY of people hitting those, they sent out an announcement they were going to turn on blocking of them.)  Third, although I can't confirm this one, I'd bet there's more firewalls / IDP / IPS / DPS / anti-malware / anti-virus scanners hitting every single packet traversing the firewall (and probably more than one of each.)

So, lord help me and please don't take away my DBA card, I had to walk a developer through, over the phone, something...

Horrible...

Flipping a database for one of his applications from Full recovery to Simple and back again to clear the log because the backup solution creates temp files in the \Windows\temp directory which is (was) on a teeny-tiny C:\ drive that couldn't handle the data in the log when the backup hit so I had no other way (well, I could've run a log backup to another disk in SQL, but that's its' own kettle of rotten fish) to get them back up and running.  Thankfully we got the sysadmins to slap another 40GB on the C:\ and extend into it plus the dev made some tweaks to the Agent job that was clobbering the log, so hopefully tomorrow will be quieter...

To top it ALL off, I was feeling crummy this AM, with what are reported to be some of the symptoms of Covid, so my wife wound up staying home (which has a plus to it, before she had to go in, now they've set her up to work from home.)  Called the Drs office, based on the symptoms I reported, they're indicating it's probably a cold, unless I get worse or a temp...

Fun times, fun times.

• Hope you feel better, Jason, and it's not serious.

• Reported the last post bug again. There was supposed to be some fix, but not sure if  it deployed while I was gone.

Hope you feel better, Jason, and it's not serious.

Thanks, and yeah, I'm doing better.  Around lunch I was doing better, so I'm leaning towards "cold + stress from the VPN issues = feeling worse than I really am"

From an e-mail I saw from a dev on my work phone earlier, looks like our sysadmin folks might've lightened up on a restriction on the VPN and are allowing 1433 through the tunnel, which will make it MUCH easier to fix problems.

• frederico_fonseca wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

All of you are. If she saw a few of these posts, she'd sneak onto my desktop and start banning your accounts.

or she would create a new account and start having fun with/like everyone else

How do we know she hasn't already?

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

BrainDonor wrote:

Now you've gone and done it - I need to boil my laptop now.

In keeping with the tenor of the times, I'm just throwing mine away rather than take any chances.

Whereas the place I'm at is merely throwing away all contractors...

Anyone want a shiny new DBA?  Who am I kidding?  Anyone want a somewhat jaded and cynical old DBA?  😉

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Thomas Rushton wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

BrainDonor wrote:

In keeping with the tenor of the times, I'm just throwing mine away rather than take any chances.

Anyone want a shiny new DBA?  Who am I kidding?  Anyone want a somewhat jaded and cynical old DBA?  😉

Check here: https://www.allstate.com/careers.aspx

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Jo Pattyn wrote:

Working from home is plenty distracting. Beautiful weather, beer in the fridge, free choice of radio

and you don't have to listen to 2 departments with different radio stations

MVDBA

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Thomas Rushton wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

BrainDonor wrote:

Check here: https://www.allstate.com/careers.aspx%5B/quote%5D

Thanks!

I should have said "UK", shouldn't I...  There don't appear to be any remote/international opportunities.  I suppose the clue is in the name.

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Actually, Allstate has a Belfast office and we do remote for IT workers.

And right now, everyone is doing remote. We are well equipped for remote work.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Actually, Allstate has a Belfast office and we do remote for IT workers.

Bit of a commute from Essex for Northern Ireland for me. 😉

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 15 posts - 64,681 through 64,695 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply